A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 58 of 58

Thread: New online Flash magazine!

  1. #41
    Senior Member Gloo pot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Australia Mate!
    Posts
    874
    Sorry i missed some stuff, in 1 day like 15 more people have posted and geez there long...

    I dont mind flash to much, but i think that maby you should utilize that fact that your site is for flashers, so there gona have usealy the most recent (Unless they have linux or somthing which i think only has 7 right now) flash and that there going to have a resolution as or even larger than 1024 x 980.. Use what flash 8 has to offer and make the site bigger.
    92.7 Fresh FM for all your South Aussies - Doof Doof music FTW people!

  2. #42
    Senior Member Boombanguk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    1,194
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloo pot
    Sorry i missed some stuff, in 1 day like 15 more people have posted and geez there long...

    I dont mind flash to much, but i think that maby you should utilize that fact that your site is for flashers, so there gona have usealy the most recent (Unless they have linux or somthing which i think only has 7 right now) flash and that there going to have a resolution as or even larger than 1024 x 980.. Use what flash 8 has to offer and make the site bigger.
    I'll probably do a F8 version soonish, but right now i'm just concentrating on the content.
    Sorry about the long post that was mine!

  3. #43
    Hype over content... Squize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Lost forever in a happy crowd...
    Posts
    5,928
    " I dont see why I need to download a PDF copy of interview
    unless it got some good **** in there
    "

    Guess you only read the first interview ? The 2nd one is packed to the rafters with plenty of good ****, and a little bit of **** too. Which is nice.

    Squize.

  4. #44
    Senior Member Boombanguk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    1,194
    right, I'm thinking about making it html. Not that I want to do that, but it solves various issues people have brought up. At this stage I'm just thinking about it, so might not. The 2 reasons stopping me from making it html now is 1) I hate html and 2) lots of people have actually said they like the website (not just from FK), so I'm not sure what to do right, BTW.....

    question about dynamic content in html. What I would like is the html to load in all the .txt files i've created, but it seems i'm going to end up with the same "not being able to be indexed by search engine" problem, is that true??

  5. #45
    Senior Member UnknownGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,367
    To load dynamic content, over better yet make a CMS(content management system), you could use a server side script + database(eg PHP and MySQL) to dynamically generate it.

    Though you don't even need the database, you could mainly update it with new PHP code(I'm not sure how dynamic content works in HTML alone).

    But if you built a CMS, you could say, add a news article, just giving the title and the formatted text, and the CMS would place it on the website, more automation.

    And. Apache servers atleast(a popular server), have the ability to make dynamic pages look static to search engines, though I haven't used it, but there is a way.

    Good luck!

  6. #46
    crossconscious
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,188
    There's no indexing problem if you use dynamic content. I keep reading that it's better if each page has a unique url without querystring, but search engine index dynamic pages just fine. The dynamic content is handled on the server, and you'll have pages like :
    http://www.flashculture.com/article.php?id=123
    http://www.flashculture.com/article.php?id=124

    ... etc. So all content has it's unique url for the search engines to crawl.

    Dynamic content in html is only really possible with xml, but I would go for php+database.

    Check out http://www.joomla.org/ for an existing cms system that you can use. Never tried it, but heard a lot of great things about it.

  7. #47
    Untitled-2.fla
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    391
    Sorry, maybe it's because I'm coming to this from a different angle than most other people; with the exception of Ray

    I used to think that Flash was the be-all and end-all - that was until I left uni, I managed to somehow bluff my way into a web design company (possibly due to my flash skills) that specialises in accessability.

    It was only there that I realised that in certain circumstances, flash sucks. Today, if you are providing a service to a public facing organisation, you can be sued if your site is not accessable.

    We always only use flash as an enhancement, so we'll start off with a html site, fully styled - images where necessary. JavaScript is then used to embed flash content and remove html markup, to enhance the site.

    Game developer or not, limiting your audience and telling them you you think they should use to view your site with, is a big mistake in business. Why would anyone want to limit the audience if there were an alternative.

    You could post a link to the best rockin' flash game in the world, if I have to wait x seconds before I see something appear on screen, you've just lost a visitor, a customer, someone who could spread the good word about it. I got bored, I left, I don't care - who really lost out?

    Finally, urls are incredibly useful, they convey a wealth of information:

    /games/articles/my-first-one/
    what am I doing? - I'm reading my first article on games

    article?id=123
    what am I doing, not really sure.

    search engines apply the same logic, a nice clean informative url will get you noticed by search engines

    Boombanguk:
    I never used to like html, trut me it's generally the better option, flash is only really suited to truely interactive content and 'quirky' sites where the audience is not really too important - or to coporate giants who don't care what happens - people already know them.

    if you're talking about dynamic content, a database is essential. If you're currently loandind text files into flash - what you've created is a semi-dynamic site.

    I'm superbly busy, but if I can, I'll try to offer advice if you choose to go html. I don't visit FK very often, but if you drop me a PM i'll get the email notification.

    Good Luck

  8. #48
    CRT Boy mclelun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    happy land
    Posts
    299
    Quote Originally Posted by Squize
    " I dont see why I need to download a PDF copy of interview
    unless it got some good **** in there
    "

    Guess you only read the first interview ? The 2nd one is packed to the rafters with plenty of good ****, and a little bit of **** too. Which is nice.

    Squize.
    Haha, problem is I never notice the "next" button and miss out your interview .

    and there is no "Interview" links on the left menu...

    -edit- I notice it will auto scroll the content. cool

    Quote Originally Posted by token 3
    article?id=123
    what am I doing, not really sure.

    search engines apply the same logic, a nice clean informative url will get you noticed by search engines.
    I think I have read somewhere too, it seems that search engine will remove everything after the "?" symbol...
    Last edited by mclelun; 07-12-2006 at 10:32 PM.

  9. #49
    Senior Member Boombanguk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    1,194
    Quote Originally Posted by token 3
    Sorry, maybe it's because I'm coming to this from a different angle than most other people; with the exception of Ray

    I used to think that Flash was the be-all and end-all - that was until I left uni, I managed to somehow bluff my way into a web design company (possibly due to my flash skills) that specialises in accessability.

    It was only there that I realised that in certain circumstances, flash sucks. Today, if you are providing a service to a public facing organisation, you can be sued if your site is not accessable.

    We always only use flash as an enhancement, so we'll start off with a html site, fully styled - images where necessary. JavaScript is then used to embed flash content and remove html markup, to enhance the site.

    Game developer or not, limiting your audience and telling them you you think they should use to view your site with, is a big mistake in business. Why would anyone want to limit the audience if there were an alternative.

    You could post a link to the best rockin' flash game in the world, if I have to wait x seconds before I see something appear on screen, you've just lost a visitor, a customer, someone who could spread the good word about it. I got bored, I left, I don't care - who really lost out?

    Finally, urls are incredibly useful, they convey a wealth of information:

    /games/articles/my-first-one/
    what am I doing? - I'm reading my first article on games

    article?id=123
    what am I doing, not really sure.

    search engines apply the same logic, a nice clean informative url will get you noticed by search engines

    Boombanguk:
    I never used to like html, trut me it's generally the better option, flash is only really suited to truely interactive content and 'quirky' sites where the audience is not really too important - or to coporate giants who don't care what happens - people already know them.

    if you're talking about dynamic content, a database is essential. If you're currently loandind text files into flash - what you've created is a semi-dynamic site.

    I'm superbly busy, but if I can, I'll try to offer advice if you choose to go html. I don't visit FK very often, but if you drop me a PM i'll get the email notification.

    Good Luck
    thanks for the offer of help, i'll probably take you up on it if I decide to go the html route!

    either way, everyone seems to love the interview's so i'm going to be making them more accessable soon, perhaps even putting them on their own html page.

  10. #50
    Senior Member Ray Beez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    2,796
    Boom:
    Where you have the special features, make the entire image clickable. That's how most sites do it (GameSpot, etc).

  11. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    70
    I haven't read the whole thread just pieces of it it, so sorry if I'm off topic.

    Someone posted that you have interviews on the site in pdf and they didn't want to download them. If you insist on using pdfs, why not use flash paper? Its easier than acrobat, too bad adobe probably wont learn anything.

    On the subject of url's, using a query string like "article?id=123" does not make your site invisible to search engines. This is archaic info, it used to be the case along time ago, but now almost all search engines can understand query strings. I say almost because there is always one of those small engines made by some kid that doesn't support it. But Google and all other major engines have supported query strings for a long time now.

    Ok, mabe you still don't like the way it looks? You can use mod rewrite to make "article?id=123" look like "/games/articles/my-first-one/" and you wont be able to tell the difference. Alot of sites use this, as it lets you write your url however you want. You can even make your php page look like an html page, or anything else.

  12. #52

  13. #53
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    70
    Yes, I do realize they say that they may cause problems, however for the most part your pages should show up. I'm not an expert at seo so I can't tell you exactly what the difference is, but from past experience with my sites I haven't had problems with query strings.

  14. #54
    Senior Member UnknownGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,367
    I wasn't disagreeing with you, just showing a link to an article about it.

  15. #55
    Senior Member Boombanguk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    1,194
    ah just hit an issue with my grand plan to re create FLashculture.com in html. I'm using web forwarding, which is fine if you just have a 1 page flash movie, but thats not going to work out too well with other html pages, any ideas?? I don't want all my pages to have domainname/flashculture/newpage1.htm types of addresses

  16. #56
    Senior Member Ray Beez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    2,796
    Who's your web host? Are you absolutely sure they will not properly host the domain?

  17. #57
    Senior Member Boombanguk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    1,194
    Well theres a name there already with the host that I'm going to do things with down the road, so i'll might as well just set up a new hosting account with someone else. I'll sort out the html website, set up the new hosting and then switch across when i'll ready.

    Right now, reading up about css, and templates....ugh. Haivng fun trying to get everything positioned the way I want it to in html, dreamweavers layout cells don't seem to want to be the sizes I want them!

    But i've had lots of good vibes though (not related to it being html or not! ) from people about the site, so the Flash site will be updated as I said before (news most of the time, and everything else once a week) to keep it up to date. Also got new interviews to in their soon.
    Last edited by Boombanguk; 07-14-2006 at 01:51 PM.

  18. #58
    crossconscious
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,188
    Tip about html : don't use wysiwyg. It's no good. Just write plain old html, using old school tables - no absolute positioned divs, 'cause that newschool stuff sucks.
    It always helps to make the design in photoshop too before working on html, by the way.

    And if you're not that experienced with php stuff, I'd really recommend getting a cms tool like Joomla!. You'll have a scalable, dynamic website with lots of free plugins available, and once the content is in a database, you can always write a script to get the content into a custom system if you ever need to do so. Off course, it's more fun to roll your own right away, but it's a bit tricky to do right if you don't have much experience with it.

    If you need a temporary (a couple of months) free hosting account, let me know and I'll see what I can do for you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width

HTML5 Development Center