A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Streaming camera Problem

Streaming camera Problem

Hi everyone,

My name is Konda, and I am new to FlashKit.
    I have recently started playing with Flash Communication Server MX, but I have a question.

I have made a simple flash streaming webcam application as described at:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashcom..._receiver.html

Everything works fine when I connect my USB webcam, but when I connect a real camera to my PC (using Firewire / dv), the application does not see the video.

I have tried with multiple camera's and capture cards, but I can't get it to work. When I go to the flash settings, it does see my capture device (Microsoft DV / VCR driver), but it doesn't take any video. The video works fine in for example MSN messenger.

I have tried with the Panasonic dvc30 & canon xm2 directly to firewire and also tried using the Pinnacle capture card.

Is there anything special I need to do to get this to work? Can it work at all? Do I need to modify anything to the script, or does flash streaming only work when using an USB webcam?

If anyone has any solutions or ideas, it's greatly appreciated.

Basically all I need is a flash application that can send the video from a camera attached to the computer to my Flash Communication Server, and the viewers use a flash application to view the webcam. Just like the example, but than it should also work with a real video camera connected to a capture card / firewire / dv in etc.

Thank you very much.

Konda

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar
    it only works via USB, thats the only way windows will read it as a webcam. there MIGHT be an application to use firewire or something, but its none that i know of. your camera should also have a plug for USB and the ability for it to be used as a webcam.

Quote Originally Posted by MyFriendIsATaco
    it only works via USB, thats the only way windows will read it as a webcam. there MIGHT be an application to use firewire or something, but its none that i know of. your camera should also have a plug for USB and the ability for it to be used as a webcam.

Are you sure?

I have read on other forums that people use their capture card with a video camera connected to that.

Does anyone know more about this?

Does it only work with specific capture cards, or should it always work when flash recognizes the capture card?

And what about dv directly connected to FireWire, is this even possible at all?

Thanks again.

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar
    that im not 100% positive on. there may be a special driver for you to download or someting, but natively, a dv camera connected to your computer via firewire is not recognized as a webcam. therefore it will not show up in flash. it wont show up in any program as a webcam unless there is a special driver or the program was built specifically for a firewire webcam. when i use my dv cam as a webcam, i need to have it connected through usb for it to be recognized as a webcam and not a dv cam.

Some cards and DV cams are in fact recognized by the Flashplayer as camera devices. As I understand things, it has more to do with the drivers than the hardware.

I know for sure that the Osprey cards and the Hauppauge WinTV cards work well with the Flashplayer.