A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: KoolExchange

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    Some of my future submissions will need to be submitted in two stages since they will use admin panels. Admin panels are usually more complicated than the movie they control so packages like this are really two packages in one and take longer to build,test and submit.

The 3 big ones I have planned this year are a mini forum (myBBS), a blog system based on my website engine (myBLOG) and a Paypal E-shop (mySHOP). All are MySQL and all will require admin panels and will be dual stage submissions. I will also have to submit an updated users table to replace the original I submitted since these three I mention all use the same table.

I'm mentioning because I'm getting a lot of direct contact about my code and I don't know if I should hold these packages until both stages are built before submitting or should I submit them in stages and let the users manipulate the MySQL table manually while the admin builds. It's a concern because while the forum for example may have stage one ready in about a week...stage two cannot be built until stage one functions and will take a few weeks to build and test.

Either way works Chris, if you release one then the other later it will likely generate email about the one, so a little more trouble for you that way is the only real difference I see.

I look forward to seeing these, this is the kind of thing I like but you seem to whip them together so much faster and complete than I can.

I'll probobly have to. That's the way I'm leaning.

You'll notice all my submissions are not even GNU. They can be sold...repurposed...redistributed..whatever. I've never done this before as I mentioned to Bob. In the past I held complicated code....horded it like a damn fool or submitted scaled down versions to protect the way I do things. I did that in two platforms and promise I won't continue this with Koolmoves. My goal is to push KM. Since all of my submissions are graphically challenged (I'm no artist) , I hope users know all I want is something they can use as a start. Something they can alter...build upon and improve (I'm no guru either) since all my stuff is subject to improvement.

I'm a loudmoth and have the tact of a truck driver but I do love this program and want what's best for it and maybe in some small way my collective submissions will make up for my faults.

I understand I've pretty much always given everything I do away as well. I've condsidered holding onto some of the more invloved stuff too. but in the end I end up giving it away too. I do try to make a bit of a living out of this stuff but I feel I can only really charge for complete sites/CD's etc. I use other peoples code often as well and always want it for free so I figure I should give it the same way... .

Glad you mentioned that. I've gotten a name as one who hates commercial code but that's not true. I was just never talented enough to make a living at it (trust me I would have preferred a mouse over a hammer ). Submitting my code as wide open source I hope any of our commercial users see that as my trying to prove I bear them no ill will.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Seahorn
    Glad you mentioned that. I've gotten a name as one who hates commercial code but that's not true. I was just never talented enough to make a living at it (trust me I would have preferred a mouse over a hammer ). Submitting my code as wide open source I hope any of our commercial users see that as my trying to prove I bear them no ill will.
    Oh I don't know I think you do have enough talent to make a living coding. I don't know if you have the patience for it though... It's been my experience that people don't communicate what they want well and get upset when you deliver what you think they want. I still make this mistake and it's frustrating.

I'm redoing my main site layout to be 150 pixels less in width and will be dropping my external banner loader from the main. I will handle weblinks and banners as a module instead. Once again I do not wish to waste the coding so I'll submit it to the Exchange. I should have it sliced out soon for submission.

I actually have two versions (XML and SQL) but the XML would be a faster submit for now. I'll revisit it after the fact and add the SQL version.

I stayed up late last night and got myTextEditor sliced out as a standalone. I'm throwing together a rudimentary help guide for the Editor buttons (Wilberts contentpane to the rescue again!) and I'll have it packaged tonight. This submission probobly means the most to me of all I've submitted so far. It's possibilities for repurposing are endless.

I had the foresight to code it as either a standalone or as a child of another movie (cuz I know that's what it will be ) so users won't have any issues pulling it into something larger.

What is the upload size limit at the Exchange? I have some large files coming that with source and the needed ancillary files for the movie, help guides and php backends will make for some larger zip sizes. I'm embedding the html guides in one of Wilberts panes for this texteditor package but have it onload the graphics for each guide section from a subdirectory. This subdirectory will be a part of the package so users can manipulate my help guides to reflect personal taste and also repurposed as a guide for their users using the editor in whatever they tie it to.

I don't know the exact size of my zip yet (halfway through building the help guide) but want to know the target limit for Exchange ZIPS. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I'm asking because almost all of my full packages will have to include visual guides. Commented code won't help users much and things like the forum will be extensive and pretty much require me to create guides for them.

About 4 megabyte.

"myTextEditor" submitted at 8:46pm

Total development time:

31 hours for the building and testing of the editor and backend
    11 hours for the online help guide
    1 hour fighting with my wife

Here is a preview of the package:

http://actionscript.hobby-site.com/m...extEditor.html

Be kind

I inadvertantly moved the .fun file from the _root of the directory in the package to the subfolder "source" . I have to either upload a new one with it in the root dir or ask an admin to move it there while testing the package. Otherwise there will be path errors for the button images when users edit it.

I've been up 23 hours straight and not thinking too clearly...sorry in advance.

Fixed and reuploaded it and approved.

NP

Just wish I could get my website back online that fast

FYI cannot recieve email and the usuall address and my site is down.

Thought of WAMPing it? Since switching to self served I get more done twice as fast. I also have better control over the server itself so I only enable what I need (I don't run the mailserver for instance). Might be worth a try. I hinted to Mike Chrysler (Frets supermod here) for years about serving his own and when he finally did he was as hooked as me. We use different suites but all of the better known ones are pretty competent.

It was a domain issue. the Hosting company was changed owenership while I was getting my domain transfered to them from my old hosting company. It didn't get completed, it looks like they transfered it but it expired and now the hosting company is not responding to support tickets or emails. Very frustrating, so I'm getting the registrar to give me access to the domain so I can renew it. As for hosting I'm shopping. I have apache installed on my main machine and that is where I test, but with DSL it's too slow up speed.
    Last edited by blanius; 07-09-2006 at 07:51 AM.

myBBS and a little KM pride embedded across the buttons .....lol

Super Moderator
    I believe the Terms sections of KoolExchange says that each submitter retains the copyright of his/her work. I would hope that the responsible thing is done if people reuse your work for profit.

This upcoming myBBS submission is using a mysql users table that is more involved than the one I submitted as the example to the Exchange and will allow me to add one of my Private Message modules (myPM) to the list of code I plan to submit in complete applications because it can also use the same users table.

KM users have never seen my PM systems and I haven't coded one since Swish so it will be fun.