A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: First official AS3 Fisix Engine demo

First official AS3 Fisix Engine demo

well, after working on my as2 verlet engine for a while now, i've decided to finally move it to as3

as you probably know, it's a whole lot faster and more efficient which makes it great for physical simulations

below is the link to the first demo of the 'Fisix Engine' (the flash physics engine) written in as3 and uses verlet physics (based on thomas jakobsen's articles)

since many have given up on verlet because of its weaknesses with rigid bodies, I decided to put something together to show that it is indeed possible to simulate rigid' bodies (such as crates) using only particles and constraints

here is is, all comments will be appriciated
    http://studio.fileitup.com:88/oz/fisixengine/

...make sure you have flash player 9

hmmm.. 156 views and not one comment?
    how is it running on your computer?
    what kind of framerate are you getting?

Patience... patience.

I'm getting a steady 24/25 fps, but honestly? release it!

Would love to play around with this... looks way cool.

Now... how long did it take you to convert to AS3 from AS2? Also, what benefits do you gain, and are you using the Flash 9 beta via labs.adobe?

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Iron Chef In-Training OpethRockr55's Avatar
    Excellent work, Ozmic. I kept a steady 30 fps throughout. I did find a problem with the lamp though, maybe a typo in the size for SAT?

Anyhoo, that's the only real problem I found. Very nice.

Cool!

Fantastic. I even try to "overworked" it by blocking the boxes with the lamp and it only slowed to 19 fps.

Awesome!

I liked very much.

Have do you touhgt in aplying friction?

thank you guys for the comments

I dont quite know when I'll be releasing this library because there's a lot more work to be done on it, but I would say at least half is done right now
    ..also I think that if I want people to actually use this well I need api documentation and a few tutorials, but I'll get to that part when I get there

about friction... i haven't implemented that yet, as you know its a little weird with verlet, but I'll probably use a simple approach to particle-surface friction, which I'm guessing is good for most uses

in the mean time, I'll be working on www.fisixengine.com (or flashfisix.com) so that I have a place to put all this

DAMMIT OZ THIS IS SO GOOD! It runs so smoothly en the collision is just perfect! Damn! You just rock! And I sooo like playing with physics

Now.... let's use this for the secret game

really awesome work oz, constand 30fps even in firefox ;D

A site for the fisix engine

I just set up a nice blog for the fisix engine blog.fisixengine.com
    Also, a site will also be up (one day...) on www.fisixengine.com (and also www.flashfisix.com)

I'll try to post whenever I can, so check there if you're interested in the development of this engine

Haha oz the fisixengine site is so awesome! I just wonder if you don't forget our game and don't get up in your fisix project :s

There's a lot of overlap between the two projects, so I'm working on both at the same time
    Next up is a blog for our game, so we need a good name

I just downloaded flash player 9 and...
    It dont work.
    something must be wrong with my pc
    i use window xp sp2
    my internet connection is dial up

Ummm... i'm not sure what the problem might be
    when you right click flash does it say 'about flash player 9'?
    If it doesn't, restart
    if it does... give the flash movie some time cause you're using dial up and I didnt make any sort of preloader (although the file is only 16k, but who knows)

If that doesn't work and you didnt restart, restart now
    good luck

yup
    may be i need to restart my computer
    now its there

unsteady, around 15-20 fps
    the picture above was an exploitation to see how low the fps can go hehehe

I realize that the smaller boxes could go through the rope
    and the rope also go through the transparent bars
    the rope also not realistic enough when bouncing back
    (truthfully i dont know how do real rope bouce)
    and the boxes also go through the transparent bars when moving in high speed
    may be if you increase the friction and the mass for everything, you could have it become more realistic

never the less, it's amazing
    how could you have so many boxes and still have such quick response?
    most of all, how did you make the rope?

good job.
    Last edited by ArielGenesis; 07-27-2006 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ArielGenesis
    and the boxes also go through the transparent bars when moving in high speed
    What I do to prevent this is to check for intersection of each line segment (like the edge of a box) with the line from each node's old position to its current position (like the path of a box corner). If they intersect, that means the node has gone through one of the edges, so all they have to be bounced back.

I also add the velocity of nodes from the other line segment, but that's the general idea. Try it.

By the way, I'm using this method to find the intersection point of two line segments.

Quote Originally Posted by axcho
    What I do to prevent this is to check for intersection of each line segment (like the edge of a box) with the line from each node's old position to its current position (like the path of a box corner). If they intersect, that means the node has gone through one of the edges, so all they have to be bounced back.

I also add the velocity of nodes from the other line segment, but that's the general idea. Try it.

By the way, I'm using this method to find the intersection point of two line segments.
    That's good stuff you got there. I always push raytracing collision detection for another time but I plan on adding it to the engine at one point. The main thing about this engine though is that it's built mainly for speed and for games, so physical accuracy isn't that important. most of the time the simulations don't have to have raytraced detection and they are also a bit harder for the cpu to handle. Nonetheless, they are very useful.
    Last edited by ozmic66; 07-27-2006 at 09:50 PM.

Ohh, I thought that because you named it Fisix and called it to be physics for the rest of us, i was thinking you are making a perfect physics simulation. If it is aimed for speed, it is more than perfect.

I think the rope are particles constrainted.

By the way; oz, that hourglass is awesome!

Hi Ozmic, first of all thank you for the great physics engine! It runs smoothly!
    Second, how did you manage to keep the file size so small in your box demo?
    I'm experimenting with it for some ragdolls and I can't get the swf under 40Kb without even adding custom skins. Is there a setting that I'm missing to turn off unnecessary overhead?
    Thank you!