A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: sometimes elements of a flash movie don't load on stage

sometimes elements of a flash movie don't load on stage

occasionally, publishing and playing in flash 8, i'll look at my site in a browser and a certain visual element does not load. as soon as i refresh the page it is there though.

i'm using a typical preloader and then the movie is there; no xml or streaming components, just basic flash. for example, i'll have a movie that has a movieclip in it that has, lets say, a picture of a truck with a drop shadow underneath that are 2 seperate graphic elements. sometimes the drop shadow is there but not the truck. i'll have another movie with another movieclip in it, all on the stage, not attached or anything and sometimes it doesn't load. i'll refresh and it's there. just one preloader for the entire movie.

anyone else ever have this happen or does anyone know why this might be happening? thanks for your time.
    context is everything is relative

having similiar issues with pieces missing on home page

Hi there,
    I dont know if you solved your problem or not, but I am having similar issues with my site. If I go back to the home page from the other pages, then the home page is complete. I've searched numerous forums and cant seem to pinpoint an answer. There was another post and someone replied that it could be b/c we are looking at different versions of the flash player. but I have been checking my site on three different computers, so this worries me greatly! Please let me know if you or anyone else has any insight... This is highly frustrating b/c I made a few sites in the past and never encountered this problem.
    Thanks!

i have still not found a solution and luckily it does not happen that often but i must find an answer. i have also viewed my site(s) on different browsers/os and it still happens sometimes. very frustrating.

i write my flash objects to the html page with swfobject. not sure if this is the issue but this is what i am now exploring. at one point i went to their discussion forum but then got sidetracked on other issues. please let me know if you make any progress and i will do like wise.

how do you write your flash to your html page? thanks.

Bummer!

I upload my SWF in Dreamweaver, and load that html page through Transmit.
    This is really frustrating b/c my site was working well not long ago! Anyway, after reading another post, I thought I should download the current version of the flash player, but now I cant preview my site in Internet Explorer at all (I'm on a MAC)!! This really sucks! I'm determined to find an answer, so if I find out I will post. Good luck to you too.

lindseys, first, i would move up to safari or firefox or camino on the mac. ie stopped being supported for the mac about a year or so ago at version 5.2, i think.

so your saying this is happening to you writing your flash using the html tags generated by flash? are you publishing for player version 8? do you have an example link of the problem file?

I know that IE has stopped being supported, but since it is such a widely used browser, I want to make sure that my site works using it. Anyway, I remembered that I started having viewing issues around the same time I created a preloader, so I took the preloader off and now my site is working correctly! My site isnt a huge file, but I wanted a preloader in case a viewer has a slow connection. Trying to touch all bases here! Do you know the necessary parameters for having a preloader? I wouldnt think that having one would create issues. (I made a fully functional one not long ago, so I know my script is correct). But anyway, right now I don't have a link of the problem file. But thanks for asking.