A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: ragdoll physics

killerjackaroo

ragdoll physics

always something i have wondered about

any suggestions at all?

I learned from this excellent tutorial, which explains how to use Verlet integration for ragdoll physics.

What game are you trying to make? If you have something specific in mind it might be easier to help you.

If you want I could go over the source code for my ragdoll demo here. I'd need a good reason to share this code with you though.

That is a great tutorial. I just want to have code for angular constraints too to create perfect ragdolls!

Quote Originally Posted by Snipergen
    That is a great tutorial. I just want to have code for angular constraints too to create perfect ragdolls!
    You don't need angular constrainst to make good ragdolls! I don't even know how to do angular constrainsts and I don't plan on learning. Instead I just use normal length constraints, which are a lot more efficient because they don't use trigonometry.

Take a look at the ragdoll demo I posted earlier in this thread. Those light blue lines represent the invisible springs that keep the ragdoll bodies in the right shape. You can change the stretchiness of those springs by changing the "flex" variable in my demo. And if you press the Escape key, they will turn invisible.

Don't waste your time with angular constraints! Use invisible springs instead.

Quote Originally Posted by axcho
    You don't need angular constrainst to make good ragdolls! I don't even know how to do angular constrainsts and I don't plan on learning. Instead I just use normal length constraints, which are a lot more efficient because they don't use trigonometry.

Take a look at the ragdoll demo I posted earlier in this thread. Those light blue lines represent the invisible springs that keep the ragdoll bodies in the right shape. You can change the stretchiness of those springs by changing the "flex" variable in my demo. And if you press the Escape key, they will turn invisible.

Don't waste your time with angular constraints! Use invisible springs instead.
    Angular constraints are a pain to get working right, but once you do they're actually pretty usefull. It's true that they are not as efficient as regular constraints, and they also get unstable if you use a lot of them on a small amount of particles. But there are cases where regular constraints just can't do the job...

Indeed and I prefer angular constraints for ragdolls.

purple lizard
    Quote Originally Posted by axcho
    I learned from this excellent tutorial, which explains how to use Verlet integration for ragdoll physics.

What game are you trying to make? If you have something specific in mind it might be easier to help you.

If you want I could go over the source code for my ragdoll demo here. I'd need a good reason to share this code with you though.
    ooh, i'd love you to share your knowledge. Go here to get ragdoll downloads from everwhere!

Post Need HELP

hello
    thats a really good demo you have.
    how long did it take to make?
    and was it easy?

because im thinks off to make a game (not published!) like ragdoll avalache
    and in that you move with the arrow keys and you are a ragdoll just like in your demo.

so do you think you can send me the script for the ragdoll that moves with the arrows keys

if i ever make a game i will say its created by you and me

so what do you think?
    please

Post Sorry about the other.. i need help RAGDOLL

Quote Originally Posted by axcho View Post

hello
    thats a really good demo you have.
    how long did it take to make?
    and was it easy?

because im thinks off to make a game (not published!) like ragdoll avalache
    and in that you move with the arrow keys and you are a ragdoll just like in your demo.

so do you think you can send me the script for the ragdoll that moves with the arrows keys

if i ever make a game i will say its created by you and me

so what do you think?
    please