A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: A simple flash project (HELP!)

Question A simple flash project (HELP!)

I've made a board that you input text onto, but I want to make it so the text will stay and be displayed to anyone viewing the page. I'm sure this is really simple, but this is the first time I've ever used flash 8 (or flash for that matter) so I'm a total n00b
    in case it matters, i want to put this on myspace
    this is an original thing so i don't want to just download some generic template.
    i also want to use this concept on my own website so to know how to do it would be awesome.

THANKS!

You need to use a serverside script for that and I don't think this is allowed at mySpace.com.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

ok, well how do you do it anyway? A myspace thing wasn't a big deal, I do want to put this on my own website though.

That is not a little thing. You need to check some tutorials. here is one, which gives you some idea. It is not exactly what you want, but you can convert it.

http://flashscript.biz/php/checkbox/checkbox.html

I think myspace does allow it ive seen those magnetic letter boards on myspace(your SWF would not be able to be stored on mySpace)

that's what i'm thinking, i've seen LOTS of flash stuff on myspace. videos, games, paint apps, message boards, etc. my problem is i want my design and concept not some cheap copy/paste deal.
    as for the tutorial, i am absolutely 100% n00b at this, but i don't think that's what i'm going for here (even with modification).
    There's the flash object, basically a vertically rectangular black box. In it is several smaller horizontal rectangular boxes that have input text fields (the boxes are just borders). Is it really that compicated to allow a user to input text in the boxes (there are eleven of them) and have that text stored and displayed in the boxes at all times? I think I may be underestimating the ease of flash...

-----------
    | |TEXT| |
    | |
    | |TEXT| |
    | |
    | |TEXT| |
    -----------

^ obviously a very basic rendition of my flash object.
    Last edited by Jenkinz; 08-04-2006 at 05:11 PM.

As I said before you need a php script to upload for that and I am pretty sure mySpace does not allow that. You can only make a movie on your site and load it into a parent movie on mySpace. Check this thread. There was a similar problem, which has been solved.

http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...ighlight=proxy

but couldnt you have the swf and PHP stored on a remote server and just embed the swf URL into myspace?

maybe im wrong but i would think that would work

That is what I am suggesting. Check the link I posted last.

well this is obviously far beyond my abilities so i'm going to go a much simpler route by either using HTML or a simple picture. I actually realized that I don't want just anyone to change the info so using HTML would be ideal (unless i want to get a LOT deeper with the flash).
    Thanks for the info

ok basically you have to use PHP and write it to a file.
    just use a text file since you want only one message to be displayed

I think flash can even write directly to a txt file(not positive) and its pretty intuitive parsing....

to load the data you will need to look into the load command

basically just get it working on your own hosted server then embed the SWF into your myspace page with html tags