A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: promoting your company?

promoting your company?

I've had mixed methods of attempting to solicit new clients such as sending them a email, stopping into thier business doing a cold call, and sending them a direct mail campaign. I have got mixed results from each. I need to start soliciting a new round of clients any suggestion what works best for you?
    Im thinking of stopping into thier business and leaving them a brochureish piece, but im kinda young so that doesnt always go well

The Minister of No Crap

The absolute best business you'll get will be word of mouth from your existing clients. When contacting a past client, don't do so with the goal of trying to get new business out of them. Instead, contact them merely to say hi. Think in terms of birthday cards, holiday cards, etc.

How long have you been in business? How old is your current client?

tell me, is this sellable..... OddDog's Avatar
    Yep,

best word of mouth is existing client base. I would be a little more direct than Scott.

I would be direct and ask if they can recommend you, or if they know of anyone that may require your services.
    Last edited by OddDog; 08-25-2006 at 07:56 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by OddDog
    Yep,

best word of month is existing client base. I would be a little more direct than Scott.

I would be direct and ask if they can recommend you, or if they know of anyone that may require your services.
    agreed 100%. I don't even have business cards or a site yet, but i've got more work than i can handle just from word of mouth and client to client referrals. However, i don't just do web work, i also do logos & print work as well. So, that brings in more business. Just make sure you've got a portfolio ready to go to a possible client. So far a multipage PDF has worked for me. I don't need anything fancy at this point, but once my clients become more highscale, i'll up the ante and go more professional with a site, cards and printed portfolio. Don't overextend your budget until those things are 100% needed.

It's better to slowly to walk into teh water than to make a splash by spending loads of money to develop. It takes time...that's about it.

The Minister of No Crap

bah. double post.

The Minister of No Crap

I'm not sure if there's a way to measure the power of word-of-mouth in terms of being more direct or indirect. I definitely had no problems getting referals through indirect approach.

Either way, just make sure you follow-up with previous clients. This is my Client Tip #4!

Circa 2001
    face-to-face human contact

Quote Originally Posted by nocrapchurch
    I'm not sure if there's a way to measure the power of word-of-mouth in terms of being more direct or indirect. I definitely had no problems getting referals through indirect approach.

Either way, just make sure you follow-up with previous clients. This is my Client Tip #4!
    i have a small problem with your article.

While most of it is good advice, the beginning of it completely forgoes what most start-up businesses should have (including freelance)....a business/marketing plan. If someone has one of those, most likely, there will be a plan to take on part time employees or contract out to take care of these 'smaller guys'. That way you aren't completely letting go of your tiny clients. If you really want to think about business as a growth opportunity that comes from referrals, you have no idea how many of your smaller clients are referring business to you (or in this case, taking business away from you). To omit them from your normal business operations is like commiting business suicide...until the normal contract runs out, that's when you cna take them to lunch and suggest that they go with a new company to do business with....

Customer service is key, no matter what industry you're in. Don't ever EVER forget that.