A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Looking for a site which goes over the more indepth aspects of flash as3 OOP

Intermediate Flash Programmer

Looking for a site which goes over the more indepth aspects of flash as3 OOP

Hey,

I'm taking a peek at some of Andre Michelle's code (way beyond me ), which I assume is in as3, and I'm noticing some commands that I'm not familiar with.

For example: "public class BezierCubic implements ICurve"

What exactly does implements do? I'm only familiar with extends.

To be honest, if anyone has a link to something that goes over the more in-depth OOP stuff, I'd really appreciate it. I figure if theres one thing I haven't even heard of, theres sure to be tons more. I tried googling flash as3 implements ... but you can imagine the amount of hits that turned up! O.o

On a side note, anyone have a suggestion for learning the math that goes into physics? I keep telling myself that I'm going to go to college for that ... but I never seem to get around to it. I tried to learn from books, which I'm good at ... but I just find learning math out of a textbook on my own time really dry. I'm aware that these are my own issues, but if anyone's found a somewhat interesting book/site that teaches math, I'd love that. Oh, and if a list like that is already posted, ignore this then ... its just an after-thought that I added to this post ... havent checked yet.

Thanks! =D

Edit -- Gah, I feel like a shmuck. Its implementing an interface! *smacks self*. Anyway, I still stand by my request.

What sort of math are you looking for? I have for example small tutorials about vector math, these could be used in physics.

Considering that I havent done any math more complicated than *basic* algebra in ... 5+ years ... I'm sure that would be helpful :P.

Thanks.

Edit -- my fingers keep sabatoging my posts!

I haven't written anything for AS3 but here is an example for implement in AS2. The concept is very similar.

http://flashscript.biz/MX2004/OOP_tutorial/lesson6.html
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

Senior Moderator
    I suggest that you check out www.bit-101.com for help with physics related examples.

With regards to more information on OOP check out:

http://www.debreuil.com/docs/

A great introduction to object oriented programming for Flashers.

Kind Regards
    Guy

\x3a\x6f\x29
    AS3 offers more OOP features. But the "implements" keyword and therefore interfaces have been introduced with AS2. You will get some results on Google with as2+interface+implements. But the benefits of interfaces are hard to understand if you just start with OOP techniques.

I have to admit that even though Ive been doing OOP for a *while now (1 year since it made sense to me), I haven't really messed around with interfaces yet. I've used them before in c# ... but I never really understand *why* I'm using them. I haven't been able to wrap my head around what you can do with interfaces that you can't do without them. I guess that'll just come with time / experience.

Anyways, thanks for all quick responses guys. I don't want to spam my own thread with thank yous over and over, so I'll just say it once here, and that'll go for anyone else who posts too .

*while -- as in, a long time to me, a short time to real programmers
    Last edited by DGord; 08-11-2006 at 12:53 PM.