A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [RESOLVED] Flash Site Design not working on all computers

[RESOLVED] Flash Site Design not working on all computers

Hello there,

I am having issues with my website design. I have been working on an Architecture portfolio for a small company and every computer I have tried the site on it works fine. It was created on a MacBook. With Flash 8. I then take the movies and place them in Dreamweaver 8. I do this because I have two movies. One is the Nav Bar and the other is the contents. When I make Flash based pages I like to create the movies separate per page. That way the back button works.

My main concern is that my site does not work on some computers. I have seen this on two computers. Both PCs. They are not old computers and have the updated Flashplayer. If you go to the site: (note: the URL is only temporary right now on my school page to view it while it's still in the design process) http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~bourdo/sba/root/index.html If you look at it, you should see text up top and below. Once the MC is done(real quick) you'll be able to click the pic or the logo on the top right to enter. But my friends cannot get this to happen. All they see is the animation. That's it. no text. I don't know if this is because they don't have futura condensed in there PCs but when I try it on my old PC it works fine. I don't have futura condensed on that computer. I've included a screen shot from my friends computer that it doesn't work on. No font nothing.

Can I get some feedback on how to fix this. Maybe I missed a step in the publishing phase or maybe once I input it into dreamweaver.

I have also made the window transparent through both publishing in Flash and parameters in Dreamweaver. Maybe that's causing the problem. But again the background window is transparent. Not the movie clip itself.

I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks,

Lorne17

your site looks good and is displaying the text correct through my own PCs

which player are you publishing it to

flash player 7, 8

i created some video file in flash 8 and had the same problem, the video and play, pause etc. btns would not display once i started testing it on another computer.

i resolve the problem by publishing the fla files to flash player 7 rather than 8 it seemed to be an issue with flash player 8.

hope this help

works fine here all stuff is diplayed.

btw once you enetr the site did you mean for project to be in caps then go lowercase once hovered over? its just the others are the opposite way round.

Nice site...classy....BTW works perfectly on my PC (Dell P4 - 2.6 GHz - OS WinXP Pro) Flash 8 plug in IE 6.02900 also works fine on FFox 1.5.0.6.
    Last edited by toulouse2k; 08-11-2006 at 08:40 AM.

Well thanks for the replies. To answer Mathie, I think I might be publishing as Flash Player 8. I'll look into that.

Scotty, yes I meant for PROJECTS to be Capitals. If you look at how the Firm name is. The logo has his name caps and Architects lowercase. Just thought I'd carry that through the entire site. Also what computer are you using? PC? MAC?

Toulouse thanks for letting me know it works. I appreciate the feedback and help.
    Thanks all,

Lorne17

have you tried using another font? One that you know everyone has (Times new roman etc.. etc...) If it works after that then you'ce narrowed it down to being a problem with the font.
    Btw, it works fine on mine. Using a Mac

I saved as Flash 7 and it worked. So I don't know if it was a font problem or not. But it's fixed so I'm happy

Quote Originally Posted by lorne17
    I saved as Flash 7 and it worked. So I don't know if it was a font problem or not. But it's fixed so I'm happy
    COOL! Looks to be a problem with the player and the way that flash 8 publishes the fla file. I'm thinking of going back to MX2004 because I'm finding a few problems with flash 8 and the new player.

Quote Originally Posted by mathie
    COOL! Looks to be a problem with the player and the way that flash 8 publishes the fla file. I'm thinking of going back to MX2004 because I'm finding a few problems with flash 8 and the new player.

I still like Flash 8. But I found that player 7 does not read line thickness between 1-2 for example 1.35 lines. I had to go back and change them all. No biggie though, just time consuming as they were all tween and movie clips. But now problem is solved so I'm happy!

Talking

I like flash 8 as well but there are issue with the program. As long as you got it working that the main thing. all the graphics that i create are done in illustrator CS2 and then exported to flash. once they are import to flash 8 that when some problems start.

ie
    not recognizing strokes, transparences, shadows.

but we all get there in the end