A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Vector Outline Problem with imported Extrusion

Vector Outline Problem with imported Extrusion

Hi Guys,

I'm having problems with the outline option, but see for yourself:

The Object is a imported Adobe Illustrator File, it's basically just a rectangle with some "holes" in it.

I've tried all combinations of the outline options, nothing removed those weird lines

Those lines are where the complex paths happen.

If you're looking to make a simple block with some intersecting circles, I'd honestly suggest creating the rectangle within Swift3D's Extrusion Editor and them creating the circles in that same area. If you place a circle within the "block" while in the Extrusion Editor, they will "subtract" and create those holes you're looking for.

Just a suggestion. I used to have that same problem with most any subtraction from within Illustrator, even worse from within CorelDraw. It's just how those programs sometimes deal with holes being in the center of solids.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Arr, that's a pity. I'm trying to to animate a manual for putting together a Ikea rack and that's a part of the rack.

To be honest, the extrusion editor is something I've always hated with passion, because of it's lack of intuitivity *sighs*

Problem is, Those holes should be on their respective positions and to get them right with the extrusion editor is kinda... frustrating. Really.

Anyway, thanks for the input, I'll try it with the Extrusion Editor I think.

(Is there another program capable of animations like those I've already done with Swift3D? )

Argh. After typing 88 X and Y coordinates into a excel table, to later build my object base on those, I discovered that Illustrator uses four points to describe a Circle and Swift uses eight. Dang.

Could this be the culprit? Circles based on eight points are fine, but circles with four create those annoying lines?

Edit: No it isn't. Damn it. Any Ideas how I could animate a manual in this outlined style with another prog?
    Last edited by philou_b; 08-13-2006 at 08:45 AM.

I doubt that's the problem. It's the fact that there's a visible split in the file you've had to export out as a *.eps/*.ai - reopen it in Illustrator and take a look at it via wireframe mode, you should see a vertical line that dissects the holes right in the middle that goes from the top all of the way down to the bottom - and that's how some of those file formats deal with a hole in the center.

Turning off render hidden lines might help, but I doubt you even have that turned on.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

suprisingly, turning on Hidden Edges does help, it does not show those lines, but the hidden lines which I don't want to see.

A couple of things...

1) Make sure all the adjacent surfaces...those broad areas with the lines going through them...are part of the same Smoothing and Surface group.

2) Sometimes extrusions like that can get a number of extraneous vertices created, either around the hole or that whole panel might get broken into two pieces instead of one. If this is the case, then take it into the Advanced Modeler and weld up any extra verts.

If nothing works, you can post the file and I'll take a look at it if you want. I'm certain there is some way to get rid of them.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..