A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: "check sytax" for as3?

"check sytax" for as3?

hi guys

I'm been coding a sonic the hedgehog style platformer game for the last 3 months. The game is fairly processor intensive but not so much from the graphics point of veiw (it uses a bitmap scrolling engine which seems to be pretty good). The game runs about 50fps, but drops to 17fps in about 1 frame in every 5, I've found it does this even when the graphics have been disabled. I've always had it at the back of my mind to port this into as3 to benefit from the better preformance, I've so far come into a few problems so far. I've been trying to port it using the flash 9 alpha as3 preview, but this has no "check syntax" function, I've used this about for catching 90% of my mistakes and 10% or so would be caught at compiling time. It would be a huge burden on me if I needed to use the compiler output window to find out if my code is working or not. Are there any ways to get around this problem in flash9 alpha?

I've also been looking at flex 2. Flex 2 is out now, but although it's not beta anymore I can't seem to find any equivalent to the "check syntax" button for coding as3. I'm certainly not familiar with flex either however, so mabey there are different technuiqes for coding besides a "check sytax" button? If any of yous have any experience with flex please tell if theres anything else I should be doing.

thanks for reading :]

Since this is an alpha version, which is incomplete you probably have to test your movie all the time to find any problems. The final version next year will most probably have a check syntax button again, I guess.
    I don't know about Flex 2.
    One point to get your syntax right is to look at the color of your scripts. From what I see the new syntax has been incorporated, so you can trace some mistakes that way like

this.addchild(myChild);// addchild will have no extra color

versus

this.addChild(myChild);// addChild will be green
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™
    Ya, not having check syntax is a bit annoying but tis a limit in the preview version.

For Flex, as long as your class is referenced somewhere in the workspace, it will auto 'check syntax' for you.

take advantage of not having the check syntax feature, it will force you to code flawlessly
    New sig soon

Duh. This post fixed my problem. Aparently i read "there is no check syntax button" when infact there is in the full AS editor. It doesn't work however.. it gives you 2.0 errors, even though when you compile it gives you none.

So, thanks