A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: To raster or not to raster this the Q;

if($<0){WelcomeToMyWorld} joshchernoff's Avatar

To raster or not to raster this the Q;

Ok now I know there is a big diffrents to pixel vs logic. One diffrents is when you use swift3D is the files size. I really do like the rav4 rendering with all its bag of tricks but there have been a few times where I thought I should look to pixels for help. I probley all ready know this but I think I need to hear it from others befor I believe it true. what is the rule of thumb for picking the best format to render?
    Last edited by joshchernoff; 08-16-2006 at 05:51 PM.

The first factor is going to be whether you need a photorealistic appearance or not. If you can get away with using vectors though, it's generally a good idea. What usually determines it for me is the amount of mesh shapes that would have to be rendered if I were to do it in vectors. If you have a really complex logo then you will often end up with smaller file sizes by rendering to raster because each extra line and face in vectors will increase the file size whereas raster depends largely on dimensions and number of colors.

There really isn't any hard and fast rule, each project is going to be a little different and the best format will be determined by the requirements for each one.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..