A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: FlashMx2004 to Flash8 --> Publishing swf takes forever????

Hybrid View

FlashMx2004 to Flash8 --> Publishing swf takes forever!! ( 5minutes to be precise :-)

So I have an important file that was made in Mx 2004 . When I publish it in Mx2004 (windows 2000) the swf publishes almost instantly. When I take the same file and try to publish it using Flash 8 trial version on another VERY powerful machine (windows Xp64) then it takes 3-5 minutes. What the hell is that all about? I am afraid to spend the $$$$s if I am going to face this problem. What could the reason be? Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by ForeverNoob; 08-16-2006 at 09:51 AM.

it might be an idea to actually save the MX2004 file as Flash8, and then export it as a Flash8 swf. Im aware that you likely have some situation where you cant perminantly convert the format to Flash8, but even to cut load times.

The reason it *might* take so long is that Flash8 is trying to re-arrange the FlashMX file's code structure, making it something easily recognizeable by Flash8, and then export it out in a native language.

the metaphorical explaination would be, an english speaking man is given two pieces of paper, one written in english, another in japanese. the man has to read these documents to an english-speaking crowd, but the man has to convert the text into english, before he can read it out to the crowd.

the japanese document will take a lot longer to read and convert, unless it is pre-translated beforehand.

hope it helps... (but i doubt it )
    ~TheWaste
    "Good lord, you're wasting thousands of dollars worth of Interferon!"
    "... and you're Interferon with our good time!"

First of all thanks for replying. I had already tried saving the file as Flash 8 and then re-opening it and publishing it for Flash 8. No joy it still takes 5 minutes to publish.

I've experienced similar problems with publishing older files that take forever as well.

unfortunatley I cant say I figured out what the solution was. eventually as I worked in 8 with those files and made modifications, changes etc... they eventually published normally.

you may try opening a new flash 8 document and copy & paste frames from the old project into the new file and explore your publish settings...?

is it an unusually large file to begin with, using video, components etc...

you may try replacing old components with new flash 8 components....
    Last edited by knottyDJ; 08-18-2006 at 12:16 PM.

Ok I narrowed it down to 1 layer. Damn had to be the most important layer as well Let me try to find which part it is
    Last edited by ForeverNoob; 08-18-2006 at 03:55 AM.

Damn I can't solve the problem. Is it safe to keep using Mx2004 for this file? Flash 8+ player will always read swfs published from Mx2004 CORRECT?