Thread: Chat Room

Chat Room

I would like to make a chat room

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seas_Comander
    I would like to make a chat room
    OK...so make one. We won't stop you.

Sorry...couldn't resist

Ok, I plan to have a possibility of 1000+ members who can be in this room. What should I do?
    Last edited by Seas_Comander; 08-21-2006 at 01:58 AM.

What is the advantage of having a chat in Flash? Flash can only produce the interface - not the connections. It is in the persistant connection where the magic lies.

Rick

Lets forget about the server. I'd like to make a Client that connects to a server. The server exists already at www.chessclub.com on port 23. How can I use Flash to connect?

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    Is that your website?

As you know, Flash does not do the connecting, you must have side server script or middleware like for instance PHP or Coldfusion. Connecting to a Flash server than permits a persistant connection which is the ultimate. You will also need to have some kind of a database connection like mysql.

Here is one possible schema: Flash -> PHP -> mysql ->Flash Server>

What are your programming skills and what is the particular application for your chat needs? Is it for a technical support desk?

Rick

P.S. I was too looking for a chat solution but after using Skype - I stopped looking.
    Last edited by rblanc; 08-22-2006 at 04:54 PM.

I'm building a interface that will connect to a socket server where people play chess and chat. This is not a Flash server it was wrote in C++. There are interfaces wrote in every language imaginable for this server, except Flash. I would like to embark on creating a flash interface for the server.

What are your programming skills?

hmmm I am sorta the big mysql php buff on the forum (besides forumnewbie), but yeh you''l need some php skill and mysql access. If you have those I'd be happy to go into detail, but from the looks of it this isn't even your server :/.
    BC

You can forget about connecting to a scocker server in 3dfa As far as I'm aware that is just not possible in FLASH. I imagine it is in FLEX/AS3 with Flash communication server.

Looks like I am wrong about that. You can do it if the server is using XML with XMLsocket check and make sure 3dfa has that command.
    Last edited by blanius; 08-21-2006 at 08:32 PM.

A Senior Newbie - How Odd ForumNewbie's Avatar
    Well.

My first reaction was the same as Brett. Flash communication server seemed like the way to go, but that article above does look very interesting !

I certainly wouldn't seriously attempt this a combination such as PHP/mySQL. Although it would work, from what I've experienced with Flash/PHP/mySQL, the machine overhead and usage of bandwidth would be very poor. (Although the machine overhead could just be my sloppy programming :P)

Keep us up to date with how you get on if you attempt Brett's suggestion. It would be great to see this done.

Morgan.

EDIT: If it is of any interest, I did write the beginning of a chess site with 3DFA last year. Unfortunately, I killed the PHP server yesterday when trying to do an upgrade, so it's stopped talking to mySQL, but I'll post the link when it's working again in case it helps anything.
    Last edited by ForumNewbie; 08-22-2006 at 05:02 PM.
    Please note that my domain has changed to http://www.morganmultinational.com

It doesn't look like 3DFA has the XMLsocket command, it would be nice if they could add this and some others in the future

Someone reported getting some commands that didn't seem to be supported to work. Just by trying them but exported only.

A Senior Newbie - How Odd ForumNewbie's Avatar
    If you search for lopez_1's thread on actionscript, I think there are more details on this subject. For example, 3DFA didn't list the possibility of using cookies, but if you put the right script in, and export it, the functionality does work.

I think the thread title was something like 'yes it's true you can use all actionscript in 3DFA' (Or some similar combination).

It's well worth a try !

M.

Edit: Here's the thread: http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...t=actionscript
    And I searched in the txt file attached the thread, and XMLsocket is listed, which must be a good sign, although not 100% proof that it would work.
    Last edited by ForumNewbie; 08-24-2006 at 07:08 PM.
    Please note that my domain has changed to http://www.morganmultinational.com

Ok so we now know XMLSocket and many other Actionscript functions work when you export.

This is what I have now:

var host = "http://www.chessclub.com";

socket = new XMLSocket()
    socket.connect(host, 5000)
    socket.onConnect = myOnConnect;

if (!socket.connect(host, 5000)) {
    connectionbox = ("connectionFailed2");
    } else {
    connectionbox = ("waitForConnection");

}

function myOnConnect(success) {
    if (success) {
    connectionbox = ("Connection succeeded!");
    } else {
    connectionbox = ("Connection failed!");
    }
    }
    Last edited by Seas_Comander; 08-25-2006 at 02:22 AM.

did that work?

No, I was hoping someone would know why

The only thing I noticed in your code was that you were doing the socket.connect twice.

Also is there a port 5000 you only mention a port 23? I tried it with ports 5000 and 23 but both of them failed I was able to get a successful connection when I used port 25 though.