A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Please Point Me In The Right Direction

Please Point Me In The Right Direction

Hi,

I created a math product with Flash MX 2004 that I want to deliver as a projector file on a CD. That part's done but now I would like the program to save a record of the students' progress so they can return to the last practice set they were working on. I also want teachers to be able to access a progress report and track the students' performances.

What sort of programming should I be looking into? I'm assuming this requires more than just actionscript. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar
    you would need some server side language and a mysql database. i would suggest php. for that, you also need a server somewhere online. that is th eonly way you can have teachers administrate the information that students do. that means that any computer the application is run on, needs to be online to save data.

Look into learning management systems. I work for a company who has developed one, I just develop the content and making it SCORM complient, but this sounds like what you are looking for.

Thanks for your help.

I didn't realize the computer would need internet access. Aren't there programs that save data without being online?

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar
    yeah, it is possible to save data without being online. but for one: its difficult from flash. flash just cant write a .txt file on a persons computer. it CAN save a flash version of a "cookie". but even if you saved the data on a persons local computer, how would a teacher have access to it? Unless they use the same computer. If you want access from another computer, it will have to have to connect to a server, which can then store the data into a database, and the teacher can view that information.