A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: HDR Thread ::Official::

do any of you have 'standard' copies of the photos you are taking? would be nice to be able to compare that with the HDRs.......
    Your wish is my command.

Here are the 9 original images I used in my 3 examples above. They are full size, from the camera, and un-anything done to them. It's a 7.6Mb zip file and free to use by anyone.

Then go here, and get the latest Beta release of Photomatix. It either has some new stuff, or I missed it in the trial version. But it's what I used for my 3 renders above.

Then, once you have that installed and the pictures unzipped to a folder, you can go here and follow through this simple tutorial on how to do it. It's about one third the way down the page with a heading of "HDR Tutorial (Photomatix) (English)".

My pics are full size, and you use them in Photomatix that way. Once you get the renders, you can resize them for the web and post production in Photoshop.
    Last edited by Ask The Geezer; 08-24-2006 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBe_80z
    This image was blended together after each layer was individually played with in PS changing colors and the contrast and dodging and burning...I need to try that!...once I get good normal HDR's

Author of photo is: http://www.flickr.com/photos/79649916@N00/
    that image is really cool. Great definition of the objects and cool colors. Lets see some images like that photo nerds!

SAMedia Blog (general bs) :: jwinmedia (my music site)
    "Think of an advertisement where the product you're marketing is Jesus!"
    -From a work for hire ad

I will be playing around with that technique this weekend if I get time to go outside. And sorry Carly, I was going to post my original next to it but forgot to add it while I was uploading...I will sometime soon!

Geezer, awesome post. Now there is no excuse for you HDR "n00bs" to get your hands dirty.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Sheese. Now I have to start over.

Just popped for CS-2.

Quote Originally Posted by Ask The Geezer
    Your wish is my command.............
    thank you very much for that geezer. will definitely be looking into that VERY soon. not sure how good the results will be with my camera, but it's good to see it is possible

Well, Photomatix does all the work. All you need from your camera is three pics of the same thing at the same f stop, but 2 speed stops above and below normal. So one is under exposed and one is over exposed, then one normal.

On my first tries, I was changing the aperture by an f-stop either way, but apparently that actually moves the size of stuff on the sensor or film. Changing the speed won't.

And you should use a tripod, altho, you could do them hand held if you were really steady. All you need, is 3 shots, but I have used 7, from a tripod, and the final render seemed to come out much better, with a lot less noise. But my camera won't take that many shots in an exposure bracketing sequence. It can be done, but you wouldn't want to have like clouds, or other moving stuff in the background, or they will be blurred badly, cause of the time it takes to manually reset the speed and take all the pics. I wish we had some really ornate buildings to take pics inside of here, but there isn't much of that where I live.

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ask The Geezer
    Sheese. Now I have to start over.

Just popped for CS-2.
    Nice!

You won't have to start over, just pick up where you left off. Very little changes were made, just additions so you should be fine. I would suggest going through the tutorials included as they will get you on the right path pretty fast.

Good luck, and congrats!!

god i wish i could afford to upgrade my photoshop just so i could resize photos

grats on the upgrade geezer
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Well, it was either the CS-2 upgrade, or a new lens.

I decide to hell with it, I'd do both. One of the great advantages to being a bachelor.

Still looking for the lens though. Just got back from the photo shop. Called the guy yesterday and he said he had a nice 50mm Macro lens for this Canon. So I go in, and it's not macro. It was Canon, but one of those junk all plastic things that weighed about as much as a fly. I passed, I can't see spending so much, $279, for a lens that doesn't weigh as much as $279 in 20's.

What f/stop was it? a Canon 50mm prime 1.8 is $75 and the 1.4 is $300 and the new 1.2 that just came out...well, I don't even want to know

Get the 100mm Macro

Review: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx
    Price: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...0028MEFQ&Q=&O=

Or get that 50mm and later on get a 2x extension tube.
    50mm Macro review: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx
    Price: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...A5025MEF&Q=&O=
    Extension tube review: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...er-Review.aspx
    Price: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=CA2XEF2&Q=&O=

Hope that helps
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

It was a 1.2. Auto focus, but this was no pirme and it wasn't macro. It was junk.

Sorry, but I'm not spending that kind of money for a plastic ring mount.

Well, I have to update that last post. It was a 1.8, non-macro, and only $90. The woman was showing me the wrong junk.

So I goes in today, just like Pavlov's little doggie, and what I had seen yesterday was not the lens the owner had described to me. Turns out the woman couldn't find that one and showed me some other crap.

Long story short, I now have a Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact-Macro. Haven't taken any pics with it yet, but just looking through it, the clarity is amazing. I mean, you just never know I guess, until you see the difference, but there is a huge difference over my other 28-135. Even someone with a wooden eye, [me], can see that.

I'll post some pics from it later on.

Found a nice spot today and took some HDR images. Here is one.
    3 images. Longest exposure about 6 seconds ( to get the nice water effect ).Had to use a grey filter.
    Also some postwork in PS with Levels and get rid of some dust on the sensor ( shot at f25 ).

It almost got some painterly feeling over it.

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog
    http://talesofthepixel.blogspot.com

That almost does look like a painting. And I don't see any noise in it either. Very nice. Looks like an illustration in a book.

Very Impressive...

Yeh that's almost got the badassness of that other one great job pelle. Makes me wish I had a good camera to play with this. At some point soon maybe I will try it and if it looks alright I'll post.

SAMedia Blog (general bs) :: jwinmedia (my music site)
    "Think of an advertisement where the product you're marketing is Jesus!"
    -From a work for hire ad

Nikonist
    What a stunning photo and an amazing post processing!
    I like it very much!
    You should go to Venice/Italy one day as you will find beautiful architecture and scenery just made for this kind of photography!
    !!Click on your own risk!!

Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again!

www.ajs-design.de

I always have to revive this thread every so often. So here is a new hand held I did while walking around my property today when I was visiting doing laundry

Large

That came out really nice. Is that from one RAW?

That picture would of been impossible with just 1 raw. It was really dark -2 and the sky was completely blown out +2. I shot in AEB mode +/- 2. Not too bad for hand held huh?