A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Swift 3D Max

Swift 3D Max

Hi all,

I am totally new to the world of Swift 3D. I am wondering if this product can be used for an upcoming project I have - perhaps you can help me?

I have a large database of 3ds Max models to be used, but would like to export the models (as static images or animations) to SWF. The obvious route to follow seems to be Swift 3D. The problem is that I lose all materials when I export the Max model to DXF. The alternative is to use Swift 3d Max, but it seems that erain has no demo version of this. Can anyone here account for the output from Max with this plugin?

Cheers,
    Nanuk

You should export out using *.3ds, and not *.dxf. You will keep the texture mapping for most, if not all of your models that way.

However, I've been an user of Swift3D Max since before version 1.0 was released. Per release, I've been quite impressed.

I'm in the middle of yet another reformat, however historically I've stated that if you have 3ds max, go with the plugin instead so that you'll stay within your 3d program of choice, then go over to Flash.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Thanks Gerbick,

I am also inclined to stick with 3DS Max - know it well enough to get by and the plugin seems straightforward enough. Do you know which versions of Max this will support?

Nanuk

I'm still using 4.2 internally, with access to version 5.0; however both of those are supported. Via the site - I logged into my account quickly, it states up to version 8.0.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]