A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get Bryce 5.0 for free

crossconscious

Get Bryce 5.0 for free

Bryce is a 3D landscape modelling tool that can produce some stunning results. It can be used in Flash games for backgrounds, etc.

Presumably because they're readying themselves for the release of version 6.0, they're offering version 5.0 for free but only for a very limited time.

I've been using Bryce for quite a while, and I think it's a neat program, but maybe a bit dated. Still, you can't go wrong with free.

Check it out : http://www.daz3d.com/

Edit : hope this isn't considered spam, I just thought it would be useful.

Good find Fall_X
    Last edited by hooligan2001; 08-24-2006 at 08:56 AM.

Ya, I believe the offer ends September 6th.

This software sounds really intriguing and useful, but... for some reason, none of my programs can decompress the sitx. I'm on a Mac, but it says it's a Mac version... I even upgraded to the latest Stuffit Expander, but to no avail. Is this happening to anyone else?

if it helps:
    Requirements: Mac OS X 8.x/9.x/10.1/10.2/10.3
    NOTE: Bryce 5.0 does not run under Mac OS X Tiger (Mac OS 10.4 and above).

Thanks, but I'm using 10.3.9... and I'm merely trying to expand it. It keeps telling me that there's an error... and I've tried expanding it on two different computers.

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar
    Thanks Fall . I cant get the materials to work though

Ali

direct link please? i cant find it! only 5.5
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

Heres the direct link to Bryce 5.0
    http://www.daz3d.com/program/bryce/bryce5free.php?

sweet
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

It's definetly worth a try guys... Been using it for game backgrounds, titlescreens, cutscenes and the odd quick render for years...
    It's not really a modeling tool though unless you like to do it the painful way. But if you have existing models and want to arrange them in a nice setting - landscape, starscape or even just a plain render with some special effects - Bryce is a fast way to get the job done.

nah...just get 3ds Max ....a good all around tool

crossconscious
    While 3ds Max is a lot more powerful, it's a completely different kind of program. Bryce is useful for generating landscape renders with ease, or skies, etc. But for actual 3D modeling it's pretty lame.

Pentry.... there is no comparisson between the two... One is a professional 3D tool for a huge area of applications - with the price to match it - while the other a nice niche tool - for landscapes, skies and ease of use for a decent render. Bryce is no modeling tool - like eon vue is no modeling tool either - they both cater for one small segment of rendering uses.

For a free tool - it's definetly worth a try...
    as not a lot of us around here would be willing fork out the price tag currently on 3Ds Max...

http://www.spriteattack.com/render
    [ simple low poly models, created in Silo, unwrapped and skinned with ultimate unwrap 3D and then rendered in Bryce ]

http://www.spriteattack.com/angunan/
    [ the title and the cutscenes where rendered in Bryce and then touched up to give them a pixel feel ]

http://www.spriteattack.com/monstertrucks/
    [ level elements for Tomsamson's Monstertrucks ]
    Last edited by DayDream; 08-25-2006 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DayDream
    Pentry.... there is no comparisson between the two... One is a professional 3D tool for a huge area of applications - with the price to match it - while the other a nice niche tool - for landscapes, skies and ease of use for a decent render. Bryce is no modeling tool - like eon vue is no modeling tool either - they both cater for one small segment of rendering uses.
    I know I know ....I was just being a bit of a tease there .....I definitely agree with you about the difference between the two tools, and that bryce and vue have their place in the market.
    I've been a max user for quite a few years, and my day job is 3d animation/rendering w/ it.....while flash game dev is purely a great hobby for me .....but I thought in throwing Max in there when I saw Bryce, since it doesn't happen often that 3d is mentioned on this board.

you're definitely right....if one is a casual/hobbist user they should definitely go for brice or even blender or similar....max is a bit too heavy on both price and potentially overwhelming number of features for someone that just wants something quick and simple.

I like that work you posted, BTW....especially those game level elements....very nice and detailed. The space ships are interesting too...are those for a game?.....you could bevel/fillet the hard edges on them a bit, and they could look more sleek/smooth and organic too, but that would bump up the poly count as well....could be worth a try. Nice work, especially on the levels art

paul.

sound interesting and worths to be tried... I heard of Bryce many years ago and i know it is a great program. Thank's Fall_X
    Card Games - play many card games free
    Free Games many free online games

Quote Originally Posted by pentru
    I like that work you posted, BTW....especially those game level elements....very nice and detailed. The space ships are interesting too...are those for a game?.....you could bevel/fillet the hard edges on them a bit, and they could look more sleek/smooth and organic too, but that would bump up the poly count as well....could be worth a try. Nice work, especially on the levels art
    Yes... they were done for an OpenGL game with very low polycounts - that's why the bevel or more detail is out of the picture. Atm. the game is on hold as the coder decided to work on something smaller before getting back into this space rpg.

Direct Download.com link for those having trouble

crossconscious
    Hey Daydream, do you mind sharing how you modified those Bryce renders to look pixelled?

http://www.spriteattack.com/anguna_b2_stepbystep/
    [ this might help - sorry no text - should try and make it into a proper tutorial one day ]