A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: GetVariable?

GetVariable?

Hi all,

I'm trying to pass a large amount of data from flash to (or retrieve it from) an external interface in AS3 without major delay, but having quite a time trying to make it happen. It was suggested that I use GetVariable, but it doesn't seem to be working for me.

Does it exist in AS3? If not, is there anything I can use?

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™
    What is 'an external interface'?

Quote Originally Posted by NaHeMiA
    Hi all,

I'm trying to pass a large amount of data from flash to (or retrieve it from) an external interface in AS3 without major delay, but having quite a time trying to make it happen. It was suggested that I use GetVariable, but it doesn't seem to be working for me.

Does it exist in AS3? If not, is there anything I can use?
    That method doesn't exist. If you are not sure about that check the index of the Language reference:

http://livedocs.macromedia.com/labs/as3preview/langref/

What exactly do you mean by the way?
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™
    I think the GetVariable he's talking about is the JavaScript function. But ya, I'm not quite clear on what is trying to be done here.

Thanks for the response..

Basically, I want to pass a large bytearray to an external interface, (or retrieve it from the external interface) quickly. One of the former methods of doing this was through GetVariable, which could be called from javascript or any other external environment.

My problem, at the moment, seems to be in converting it to a string, it cuts off a lot of the data. Somehow I either need to pass the actual binary back (might addcallback with a return result work?) or encode the data somehow to preserve it.

I really don't want to have to encode to base64 or anything because of time added in processing, but I'm not sure if there's any way to get binary data to an external interface. Any ideas?