A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: star trails (advice)

Looking forward to it.

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phil-ray
    ...ill give it ago tonight, may try and get some sort of house or building in the pic and not just have the camera pointing strait up
    sound like a grand plan.

We had a very clear and crisp night last night, but, I also live near a not too well traveled road after dark, and I'm worried about picking up light from the occasional car going by. I would have gone out somewhere, further away from the road, but just couldn't think of anywhere close. Just didn't feel like driving around last night, but I want to give this a try.

Maybe tonight too.

ask the geezer, can i ask where u live? (just wondering)

here its a bit cloudy tonight but its broken cloud so may be able to get something from tonight, i live in town so its not ideal, as any night pic seems to turn out a bit orange because of the street lights.

I live in La Crosse Wisconsin, About 2 miles from the Mississippi River, just past the edge of town. Not a lot of light from the city here, but we have a few streetlights, which I'm thinking of shooting out.

I think the orange cast is from the WB setting. Try AWB, [auto] if you have it. Doesn't seem it would work in no light, but it seems to.

ill try that tonight actualy even if i dont get any star trails, it would give me something to do tonight rater than sit and watch tv lol

So? Did you get any star trails?

Post some pics!

I will try next weekend when I go back to NH...I want to try and hit the beach again at night.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

non really yet as it keeps being cloudy, but heres 2 pictures i took on the first night i posted this post,

excuse the hair on the lens, its away now. there not the most exciting pics in the world but there the only ones i have gotten really

I really like the first one. Now once you get the star trail thing down the key to a good star strail pic is a good night time subject.

And while experimenting try finding the north star as that is the one that doesn't move.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

that last one is rather dark...

Wonder where that orange comes from?

Low level ambient light tends to be amber in color. When shooting bright colored object in low light and long exposure it really helps to warm them up.

Try it, it's another technique that I use quite often to get that warm feeling in my photos.

What do you mean, warm them up? Like stick it under your armpit or something?

I'll tell you what.....you stick with your technique and I'll stick with mine...

You use a lighter?

Warm what up?

i thiink the orange light comes from all the orange'ish streetlights around my area. and maybe the wrong appature settings, the bottom pic was on a lower appature setting to try and avoide the orange light, just need to leave it for longer or pick an inbetween apature setting i think.

that and get out of the town.

as i say there not great but since ireland now is experianceing alot of cloud i cant get any more really at this time.

Phil, have you had the chance to shoot any more startrails?

I think we're having rain tonight, but I am about ready to try some myself soon. Finally got a new and decent and very stable tripod.

I am going to borrow my works tripod this weekend. The lady friend is going to be here for the weekend but I am sure I can sneak out for half an hour...

ask the geezer, i tell u its been cloudy in ireland for weeks on end (its always the way once u want to do something, u cant then when u dont want to do it u can lol)

got my bro slinky comin with his creddit card tomorrow so going to get a remote off amazon for 15 quid (or so) next5 day delivery so that should also help me and not waste valuable duck tape lol