A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] My Naruto fighting Game!

[WIP] My Naruto fighting Game!

Since I've seen many a poorly-implemented fighting game on Newgrounds, I wanted to try and make my own to show those authors how it's done. Smash Brothers in Flash has already been attempted, but due to a lack of sprite sheets (I'm assuming), the character selection was very strange.

I made the choice to use characters only from the Naruto Saikyou Ninja Daikesshuu 2 game for the GBA, because they're good quality fighting sprites, and I really like the Naruto anime.

So without further ado, I present to you... My Naruto Game! At the time of writing, you just get two human-controlled Naruto characters (so no computer AI or other characters just yet). The controls are as follows, and will be customizable in future, in case of DVORAK and AZERTY keyboards:

Player 1:

WASD for movement
    T for primary attack (throwing kunais)
    Y for secondary attack (punch combo)

Player 2:

IJKL for movement
    { for primary attack (throwing kunais)
    } for secondary attack (punch combo)

Just wanted to know what everyone at FK thinks of the current engine. You can fall through platforms by ducking for a second (this time limit is in case you just want to quickly duck under enemy shurikens), or fall through them immediately by ducking in midair (admittedly, this is a bug, but it's a feature I wanted anyway).

Upcoming changes:

I currently plan to add the characters Sasuke, Sakura, Neji, and Lee. I have good sprite sheets for Dosu and Kabuto, and I can probably work with the Gaara sprite sheet (even though it has no walk or jump animation), but I have no other full sheets I can use.

Naruto's primary attack (kunai throw) will be removed, and replaced with a kage bunshin (shadow clone) version of his punch combo. The reasoning for this is because I want Naruto to be a close-range character, so Sakura, who will be long-range, will get that attack instead. Additionally, I wanted to do this because primary attacks are loosely defined as being for pushing away enemies, whereas secondary attacks would be for hurting people with.

Projectile throwing will be changed so that the projectile will be high enough for you to duck under if at ground level.

A chakra (basically mana) bar will be added for all characters (with the exception of Lee, who cannot draw chakra in the anime). Primary attacks will consume chakra, as they will be your most useful moves. As a result, you will not be able to spam primary moves; you'll have to wait until you've generated enough chakra to use one. Some characters' primary moves will be more costly than others.

Health bars will be added, and (unlike in Smash Bros, where you win by knocking enemies out of the stage), you will win by KOing your opponent. Although the engine is able to be configured for stages where you can fall off the edge.

The Green Hill Zone background sprites will be replaced with Naruto backgrounds, although I haven't decided what source I'll get those from (I'll probably recreate screenshots of the anime in sprite style or something).

Any questions, suggestions, criticisms, critiques, bug reports, or feedback are welcome.
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

i'm hate naruto , more this game its cool , good graphics and script cool man ;P
    Guiaki

hey i'm have a sugestion :
    health bar and atacks loose hits :
    make a health bar put the health bar in mc and create how muth frames you want and put script :

Code:
    stop ();
    in all of then , before you make this put the name of mc like health2 or health1 , player 1 health or player 2 health
    in atack of punch put this action for second player punch:

Code:

onClipEvent (enterFrame) {
    	if (hitTest(_root.player1)) {
    		_root.health1.play();
    	}
    }
    Code:
    and in the first player punch :
    onClipEvent (enterFrame) {
    	if (hitTest(_root.player2)) {
    		_root.health2.play();

}
    }
    this action to punch or star ;PP if you like only comment
    and on the last frame of first player put second player wins , game over and an restart button
    this like in the second player too
    Last edited by guiaki; 09-01-2006 at 07:07 PM.
    Guiaki

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar
    Looking good Vengeance. The engine feels solid although I dont know about making the falling through platforms a feature, I think it will look too much like a bug. If you really want that feature, use a different key for it.

Obviously there is still a long way to go with it, but its a nice start

guiaki - erm, why are you writing a health bar tutorial in this thread? Firstly thats just completly random and secondly don't you think if vengeance can write a decent run n jump engine, he can make a health bar?

Ali

Alillm, I guess I see your point. I think I know how to fix the bug, since I got some very interesting results being traced while trying to stop you being able to fall through the bottom of the screen earlier (negative yspeed even though he was standing still). I think the reason the bug eluded me all this time is because I always had it tracing the yspeed before the line of script that applies gravity to your yspeed, so it always printed out that nothing bad was happening.

I could, on the other hand, make it so that ducking in midair doesn't give you extra momentum... (I'd only need to delete one line of code) but it's a useful feature if you want to quickly swoop down on a long-range character who would otherwise attempt to run away as soon as they notice you in the air.

Guiaki, I appreciate the gesture, but healthbars are already on the list of upcoming features, and I already know how to make a health bar (except I wouldn't use that horrible frame-based approach... I'd give it a dynamic width which would be controlled by the script, and make it ease to the new value every time you get hit).
    You know you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by VENGEANCE MX
    Alillm, I guess I see your point. I think I know how to fix the bug, since I got some very interesting results being traced while trying to stop you being able to fall through the bottom of the screen earlier (negative yspeed even though he was standing still). I think the reason the bug eluded me all this time is because I always had it tracing the yspeed before the line of script that applies gravity to your yspeed, so it always printed out that nothing bad was happening.

I could, on the other hand, make it so that ducking in midair doesn't give you extra momentum... (I'd only need to delete one line of code) but it's a useful feature if you want to quickly swoop down on a long-range character who would otherwise attempt to run away as soon as they notice you in the air.

Guiaki, I appreciate the gesture, but healthbars are already on the list of upcoming features, and I already know how to make a health bar (except I wouldn't use that horrible frame-based approach... I'd give it a dynamic width which would be controlled by the script, and make it ease to the new value every time you get hit).
    i'm know , have a lot of types to create a health bar i'm know nine ( 9 ) ;P why you dont put the upcoming features on topic? its good for the people on want to give a sugestion look in features and later put the sugestion
    Guiaki

crossconscious
    You can fall through platforms by ducking for a second
    I'd use double-duck to fall through platforms.

As for the engine, it looks nice. Too bad I can't really play since it's wasd and wasd sucks on azerty keyboards. Why not use the arrow keys too?

I love it already, the movements are very smooth.
    I would use jump+down to drop through platforms (it's a rather common solution), or
    as Fall_x said: double-duck. Waiting a whole second is too long.
    I'm looking forward to some AI now.
    // Mazapán, my portfolio

Actually, guiaki, I did put the upcoming changes in the topic. They're under the title 'upcoming changes', and account for more than half of my original post.

Fall_X, I did have arrow keys for movement originally, but since now it's two-player, I decided to make it so that your hands would be in exactly the same position for both players (except player two would be 6 keys to the right). I could only do this with the letter keys.

I might try the double-duck idea. Sounds more sensible.
    You know you want to.

Game Player - Developer scheletro's Avatar
    I love this kind of fighting games, and for me I think the principal issue for me is the enemy AI, I never know how to make react the enemy in platform to follow you, maybe for some of you is an easy task but for me is the main problem

I like how you make the engine, moves very well, and is comftable to make your character what you want, I exited to see your next step

"I love to make them as I love to play them"

hey , have the date of prevision to finish?
    Guiaki

Quote Originally Posted by guiaki
    hey , have the date of prevision to finish?
    Finish date? I don't have to have it done by any time, it's just a personal project. It'll probably take at least 6 months, now that school's in the way.

[EDIT] I've now fixed the bug where you'd fall through a platform if you ducked in midair. I've also changed the 'fall through if you duck for a second' to 'press duck twice rapidly'. It's definitely a lot cooler now.
    Last edited by VENGEANCE MX; 09-02-2006 at 06:05 PM.
    You know you want to.

very nice vengeance.

Interested to see what you'll do with the AI
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

That looks neat. It's good that you thought about the fighting ethic of the characters BEFORE you develop the game.

I need to show off mine... But I'll wait a while.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_malee
    very nice vengeance.

Interested to see what you'll do with the AI
    What I'm planning to do is make it so that the enemy will work out the closest platform to your current _y value, and stand within _x range of the attack they're going to do on you. If It turns out you're jumping, he'll probably try to jump to you or camp the ground below you.

[EDIT] Made 1 or 2 bug fixes to the game's engine, and tweaked some speeds. I won't go into any more detail than that, since this is just a forum thread and not a development blog.
    Last edited by VENGEANCE MX; 09-03-2006 at 08:34 AM.
    You know you want to.

better than chuck norris
    Quote Originally Posted by guiaki
    i'm hate naruto , more this game its cool , good graphics and script cool man ;P
    naruto rocks, man. shutup... noob.

Looks nice. I like your planning. And thanks for considering us Dvorak users.

The only thing I thought was weird was the lack of momentum in the controls, particularly when jumping, but then again, I'm used to playing physics games like N and Gish. Good luck.

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar
    One Piece > Naruto

Dubbed Naruto > Dubbed One Piece

All kidding aside, I'd be interesting to see how you handle projectiles... Will they only be firing forward or will they "slightly" home in (say if I'm on the upper platform, will it fire diagonial down instead of straight in the opponent is on the ground).

Have you played any of the Naruto games for PS2 or Gamecube?

Willoughby, kunais will go straight forward without any physics, but shurikens will travel in a small arc in a random direction. This makes kunais better long-range weapons, but shurikens will be medium-range and probably harder to dodge, due to an unpredictable arc.

Not so sure about aiming them downward. I suppose you can just drop down and fire one from a lower area.

Nope, I've never played any Naruto Game besides briefly playing the one I got the sprite rips from (and not to brag, but I prefer my engine to the original ). I've seen footage of Naruto games on Google Video, not sure which ones though.
    You know you want to.

you've heard this before but, good job, i wish i could make a decent engine