A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jesus in aisle 4...

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    "I noticed that you're speaking another language, but you're taking so much care to not talk loudly or curse. I commend you for that."
    I'm still confused by this line.

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    Honestly, Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons are the only big religions that care how and where you were saved. Most protestants don't really care as long as you were. Also, I didn't go out "selling" religion. I offered it and wasn't pushy at all. If someone says no then they've made up there mind and im not going to change it.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. Carl Sagan

Sometimes when they decend on the apt complex I feel like shouting

"Look no further I speak French"

It's the popluar cop out they use when they see me..

"Oh sorry we're looking for someone who speaks french."

Quote Originally Posted by yasunobu13
    I'm still confused by this line.
    given that it's the South and I was not speaking in full-blown ebonics nor "plantation speak", properly forming sentences in any language probably brought forth this conversation.

And the fact that I wasn't cursing - no damn, ****, ****, bastard, *****, ****cheese, or whatever else that she could tell (it sorta struck me odd too, I mean, I was full-blown cursing in german) - she was "impressed", I guess.

Or it could have been just an odd segue into a conversation I'd rather avoid altogether.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    Next time... I'm playing this and seeing how they react.
    Classic. I just put that on the 8125 as YOUR ringtone.

* bangs head and pumps fist in the air *

lie and say you are mormon. then act like you are about to take out a contact card and shell run away cursing you to hell. or you could say you speak with him in person every night. mainstream christianity would freak out about that.

OOP is one letter from OOPS kortex's Avatar
    While I respect your restraint, why exactly are we so worried about not offending these people when they seem to have no problems offending other people, or minimially putting others in potentially socially akward situations. If they are willing to do that to others, then they deserve some of the responses they may ellicit.

Now I am not proposing an immediate rude response, but if they get beliggerent when you respond with something like. I have my own beliefs, then they deserve the new orrifice they may recieve.

Sadly though, I can see this quickly turning into a yelling match with no resolution.

So perhaps walking away was the best response. But I would not be surprised if some of them decide to follow you (this one yelled). And at that point, would not be opposed to pressing charges for harrasment. But that's just me. (And I would apply the same things to anyone pushing any belief system on someone who is not interested, even one I personally believe in).

Having your own beliefs is one thing, forcing them on others is another.
    Jeremy Wischusen
    Flash - Flex - LAMP - Web Developer Purple Inc
    AS OOP FAQ-Best Practices Thread | Flashkit OOP Tutorials | Purple Inc (day job) | Blog

I had always held out hope for you, Will, and I still do.

Nice seeing everyone, I'm about to graduate with my Degree in Electrical and Mechanical Eng.

Just a thought. Christianity is not religion. Religion is what we make it to suit our purpose. Rather, think of it as a relationship.

peace
    Hello.

Bah. I'm Christian.

Just don't need to confirm it daily to the likes of people that don't quite get that a person might have a relationship with God that's private.

Anyway, long time, no see dude. Congrats on the degrees.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

OOP is one letter from OOPS kortex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WMLeeBo
    I had always held out hope for you, Will, and I still do.
    Just a thought. Christianity is not religion. Religion is what we make it to suit our purpose. Rather, think of it as a relationship.
    peace
    As I said have no problem with any given set of beliefs (as long as they do not involve harming others). The issue here is the forcing of one's beliefs on others which implies that other's beliefs are not valid. Just plain rude.
    Jeremy Wischusen
    Flash - Flex - LAMP - Web Developer Purple Inc
    AS OOP FAQ-Best Practices Thread | Flashkit OOP Tutorials | Purple Inc (day job) | Blog