A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Got A New Lens Comming...

Well, the Sig isn't here yet, and neither is that 550EX. By Thursday, so says the tracking numbers. But out of boredom last night, I got the bag out and started playing with the new grip, the 50mm and the extender to try some 1:1.

I've had trouble getting anything good with it and finally traced it down to not enough light to be able to use higher speeds and smaller aperture. So I dug out an old Ricoh flash unit I had that still works. I added that on the handle with a home made diffuser and shot a cople pics of some ear buds I had around. That seems to have been the problem, cause now I can actually get some usable pics.

I wonder if I need a Tiny Game Stamp on my Hunting License to shoot these guys?

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    Nice and sharp.....very nice.

Thanks. The flash made all the difference.

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    don't tell me you used the tinfoil method posted earlier...

Nope. As it turned out, the tinfoil was too bright. I did try it. Had to squeeze the end hole down to almost nothing and it was just too unwieldy. I did cut a patch out of the side of a gallon water jug and just bent it in a half curve and held on by a rubberband. Did quite well.

Eureka! It has arrived. Pics to follow.

Now, the rest of the story. The nimrod I bought it from told me Priority Mail on Saturday the 9th. The package actually did leave on the 9th, but he sent it Parcel Post, Pony Express. For the same price as Priority Mail would have cost him. Some people are such numbnuts.

wow, I should get a new lense or 3....

Yes, Yes you should AND start posting in here more!

waiting on you now Geezer...
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Here's just a couple of quickies. This is with the new Sigma 105, natural light, which was a florescent bulb, and I added that Canon lifesize converter, which gives a full 2x with the Sig, instead of 1x.

ISO: 800, F/32.0, Shutter speed [s]: 4.00, Aperture priority. It a shot of a keychain figure. The head is about 1.3rd the size of a dime.

This is the figure and a dime, somewhat out of focus, just to show the size. I shot from a tripod, way to shaky without it.

DAMN! That is so close. That is awesome!

Why you shooting at such a high f/stop though? is F/32 really needed?
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

The light is poor, just one of those 100W equivelant florescent twist screw in bulbs on the subject. And I wanted to test depth of field. I focused on the tip of the nose, and you can see a little hair like thing to the left of the face, down by the collar that is still in focus. Thats more than the thickness of say, a house fly, so theoretically, the whole fly should be in focus, not just one narrow part.

I still have a long way to go though. Just testing at this point. The new 550ex flash came the other day, and I need to play with it also.

But I'm quite surprised that the Canon converter works with this Sigma 105. It's supposed to be propriatary for the Canon ef 50mm Compact/Macro lens only. Glad to know it can work with other lenses, and it's nice to get 2x out of a 1x lens.

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBe_80z
    Yes, Yes you should AND start posting in here more!

waiting on you now Geezer...
    My good lense broke, I currently have two pheonix lenses, the quality is awful. Everytime I go to take some pictures I get depressed. If any of you know any cheap Nikon lenses or are looking to get rid of one and it can be shipped to Germany, let me know.

Awesome shots Geezer, very close up.

Alty, go looking for camera shops that sell used stuff. You can find some amazing deals.

Here's a couple bugs from today, with the Sigma 105. Still not totally happy with them, although, this was on AF and the camera on Manual. These bugs were really small. I had to have my glasses on to even see them, and these aren't crops.

ISO: 200, F8.0, 1/125

ISO: 200, F13, 1/125

Nikonist
    Isn't the microcosmos amazing?
    I told you it is a fantastic glass!
    !!Click on your own risk!!

Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again!

www.ajs-design.de

Here's some shots from today. Another fly, cause it's turning cold out and there isn't anything left to shoot. they are all hiding around here.

Used the Life Size Converter behind the Sigma 105 for 2x, then cropped them some. Sure get a different view of the fly world from there.

Nikonist
    Amazing Geeze!!
    Could you tell me some more details of the converter like brand, serialnumber or anything else?
    I WANT ONE!!! NOW!!!

BTW...on the last photo the fly looks more than dead!
    Did you?

Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again!

www.ajs-design.de

Frex, the life size converter is made specifically for Canon, and specifically for that Canon 50mm Compact Macro lens that I bought earlier. It won't fit on anything else, and it's not supposed to work for any other lens, but it does. AF gets a little dodgy with the Sigma though.

However, you can get the same magnification with a set of Kenko tubes, and they make those for all the major brands. And, they are a bit cheaper.

In the UK, you can get Jessops tubes, which I don't really know anything about, but they do the same thing.

No, I didn't kill the fly. In fact, I chased him all around the room with my tripod and camera for a couple hours to get those shots. I did notice though, after importing the RAW's to CS2, that he's missing part of a front leg. Did you notice that?
    Last edited by Ask The Geezer; 09-24-2006 at 12:07 PM.

Nikonist
    No, never realized it...I am not a leg expert in regard to flies
    Thank's for the advice...I'll take a look at Kenko then!
    Thanx a lot Geezer!

www.ajs-design.de