A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: show long list in samrt way

show long list in samrt way

I have list of company names (1.200 of them) from Filemaker. We'd like to show them in 3 or 4 columns at a time and then click a button to view the next set of columns etc. See the attached (very simple) fla to get the idea of what I want to do. Scrolling is not an option.

I used to do this just copying the names from a textfile into a text field (A,B,C) on frame1 and then use simple actions to move to the next frame with new three text fields and so on. It was ok up to around 400 names once a year but I now need to update more often and the list is constantly growing! Which is in fact good - means my custumer is doing fine and I will be able to stay in business...

How do I do this with as little effort as possible? I'd like the list to flow into text field A and over to B, C and so on. But I've no idea which is the best way to do it or even where to start! I am ok with AS but quite unexperienced using it to import stuff from a data base.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Snowgirl
    Attached Files Attached Files

OOP is one letter from OOPS kortex's Avatar
    Humm what server sie language do you have avaiable (what type of server do you have?)?
    Jeremy Wischusen
    Flash - Flex - LAMP - Web Developer Purple Inc
    AS OOP FAQ-Best Practices Thread | Flashkit OOP Tutorials | Purple Inc (day job) | Blog

Hope I'm answering what your asking for...

We have a chioce - either php or asp.net.

well then what format is the current databse in? (access or mysql, or some other format?)
    Jeremy Wischusen
    AS OOP FAQ-Best Practices Thread | Flashkit OOP Tutorials | Purple Inc (day job) | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by kortex
    well then what format is the current databse in? (access or mysql, or some other format?)
    The database is initially made in FileMaker.

On the server they use php and mysql.

Well then I would go with PHP. You can wither do AMPHP (requires install on server). OR you can do some tricky stuff with LoadVars and return the DB results as a set of arrays and then incriment variables as starting and ending points for with records to show in the array.

Perhaps some other people have some other ideas as well.
    Jeremy Wischusen