A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: FWA Award - Site of the decade...

FWA Award - Site of the decade...

Well, I'm surprised not to see any mention of it here on FK. The biggest voting campaign in the universe just got over guys and you all just missed it.....

The FWA for the Site of the DECADE award goes to none other than 2Advanced Studios v3.

Should thank FWA for publishing my comment too....
    What's that? You haven't seen my site yet?? Here you go - Click Me!

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    Well, I'm surprised not to see any mention of it here on FK
    Why is that?...you not being surprised that is?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Seahorn
    Why is that?...you not being surprised that is?
    I meant, I AM surprised since no one spoke about this this....once in a decade award here on FK.

It's definitely v.impressive, and inspiring, but I don't know if I'd go with 'site of the decade'..
    What it has going for it is that it's a balanced, if slightly busy layout with great use of sound.. everything is there, in full working order, with a strong sense of usability.
    However.. I dunno, maybe it is somewhat definitive for the decade's flash but it's hardly innovative. There's nothing there I haven't seen before and although it's an exceptional example, that whole techie, flashy lines flying around, 'loading module', sexy female computer voice thing has been done.. many, many times before. As I said, it's a great example of it.. but I can think of other sites that would be better suited to that award.. mind you, i'm not sure I entirely agree with the whole 'decade' thing anyway, it's far too broad, especially in an area where technological advancement moves at the speed of light. Not saying that 10 yr old design holds any less grounds for being 'good' design, but it's hardly going to keep up with stuff that's being produced today.
    I think for that design and aesthetic, i would have liked to have seen some 3D and video integration thrown in.. classy, not for the sake of it and inkeeping with overall feel but I think it could've really lent something to the experience.

Definitely a great site though and will be putting it in my fav-site bookmarks, just not too sure it was deservant of that particular award, although.. as i previously mentioned, I think it'd be pretty difficult to find a site that could fill the podium for a decade's worth of design.. lol

I think thatthe site the really marked itself as "flash site of the decade" should be Flash kit....

Coming Sooooon!!!
    I hate spam in the [ Cool Sites ] Section.

This (the voting) was talked about quite a bit in the Coffee Lounge actually.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

It didn't say best site of the decade it said the most influential. Just think of all those 2a rips. They win on that factor alone!

Quote Originally Posted by rooney
    It didn't say best site of the decade it said the most influential. Just think of all those 2a rips. They win on that factor alone!
    LOL

Coming Sooooon!!!
    I hate spam in the [ Cool Sites ] Section.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    This (the voting) was talked about quite a bit in the Coffee Lounge actually.
    Whoopsie, I thought this discussion should come under the 'Cool Sites' section...

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpencil
    There's nothing there I haven't seen before and although it's an exceptional example, that whole techie, flashy lines flying around, 'loading module', sexy female computer voice thing has been done.. many, many times before. As I said, it's a great example of it.. but I can think of other sites that would be better suited to that award..
    dude, and where exactly do you think those 'other sites' got their style from? why do you think you have seen this style so many times before?

i stopped counting several years ago how many websites borrowed 2A's style and i'm talking carbon copies of their website and design techniques.
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyways. Film Portfolio

digitalpencil

Dude, I remember when I first started designing when I saw my frist flash designed menu system InFlash 4 about 5-6 years ago, then I saw a fully designed web site I was blowen away... it was 2Advanced that inspired me to get better and learn flash. 2Advanced definately put flash design on the map. Who ever can't see that either didn't read nizamm's post correctly or they should do some research.

Yeh, realised it was 2001 after I posted.. bit stupid on my part.
    Still.. i stand by the fact that 10 years is too broad-an-era in which to decide a definitive best and that in my personal opinion, I can think of designs that would win over 2Advanced.
    However, given the number of sites that have clearly so closely mirrored this aesthetic.. I cannot argue over its influence in the community therefore perhaps it was the best bid for this award.
    Never-the-less, kudos to 2Advanced!. it's a great site and congratulations are due to them for recieving such a prestigous award, regardless of my own feelings as to the practicality of the awards period

I am sponge bob
    just athought, why wasn't praystation even mentioned for these awards? imo his site had a way bigger impact on the community and flash as a whole that 2advanced ever did, 2advanced did big something and they brought about the wave of future type sites, but seriously, of the decade? i seriously think praystation, and a few others were better quailifed. but hey congrats on winning guys
    -----
    greg sidberry

I had personally been looking for balthaser's first version (which can't be found anywhere on the net) and e-studios' first site (aka blitzagency). Those are classics I'll never ever forget. Too good a job when flash 4 was out there and kicking. Pity can't get to see them anywhere.

Main Coordinator
    Wow...Matinee...haven't seen that in years. Some of the older stuff is bringing back some memories

Voting for site of the decade is surely a hard thing to do and there is certainly lots to choose from now. However, when most people think of there top few sites that inspired them and really impressed them, I am sure 2advanced is near the top of the list. I say well done to them and look forward to seeing some of there future projects. Although I would say that that the navigation on there latest site is completely confusing and if I am being fair.

L8rz