A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Preloader for FLV?

Animator

Preloader for FLV?

Hi there

I am also facing such problem as i call in the frame of my timeline an external file which has FLV in it, now if i put the preloader in the first frame of the file then flash preloads everything except the FLV, when it reaches the FLV frame it streams the video, it is preloading the flash objects not the FLV video.

Can i get any example about how to preload the FLV rather than stream it?

Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks
    F.
    fahad.bhatti@gmail.com
    I won't change directions and i won't change my mind, How much difference does it made?

set the buffer to the length of the video you want to preload, this will stop the video from playing until it has finished d/l.
    however, i would recommend only buffering a short period (5secs) and then playing the video, you could cover the video with a buffering message until the buffer fills.

Flash Help has an entry on this with step by step instructions. It's called "Preloading FLV files".

Animator

Buffer Settings

Hi

Thanks for the help, Can you send me out any example for how to set this buffer value with the flv, i am not good with the AS, if you could send me some code instructions it will be a great help.

F.
    fahad.bhatti@gmail.com
    I won't change directions and i won't change my mind, How much difference does it made?

If you're using an FLVPlayback then just set the buffer length in seconds under the component inspector. If you're using netstream:
    ns.setBufferTime(6); //where '6' is the buffer length in seconds.

The above would only be able to display a buffering MC however, giving the user no idea how far through the download they had come.

RDoyle has a much better solution however, involving dynamic feedback.
    Flash Help has an entry on this with step by step instructions. It's called "Preloading FLV files".
    Take a look at this, it's fairly simple and will feedback to the user their download progress via a progress bar and text box.

I would still suggest though, that in most cases, it is not worth preloading the entire FLV. Instead buffer a short period, then initiate playback and inform the user of d/l progress using a progress bar with playhead

Hope this helps

Animator

Thanks

Thanks a lot, i will check the buffer settings and have a look at the Flash help section for FLV as well.

Cheers.
    F.
    fahad.bhatti@gmail.com