A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Video page

you could email it to gase@visi.com

Hi Mark,
    I need your help.
    Please take a look at the link below:

http://www.javadov.com/test/main3.html

If you click at the button “Music” you can see, that MediaPlayBack and ComboCox are inactive.

Do you have any idea why they are inactive?
    In the work space they look okay.((
    Thank you in advance,
    Fuad

Hey Mark,long time no email. I been kinda busy piecing my site together,most time was spent on converting video to flv,s (gotta find me a seperate converter outside of the flash8 to do this). Right now trying to link my buttons to my web pages so they can open in the same window,so far I've come up with this actionscript to test it on my computer.
    on(release) {
    getURL("C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\1-5-06\homepage.html,_self");
    }

However I get the error:

(Cannot find file:///C:\ocuments and Settings\dministrator\esktop\1-5-06\omepage.html,_self", make sure the path or Internet address is correct.

For some reason the first letter in some words are getting dropped off, I'm puzzled.

I suggestyou go here for a flv encoder
    http://www.on2.com/
    you can get a stand alone one, or if you work with video in a well known editing program like premier or final cut pro you can get a plugin.
    These are the people who wrote the on2 codec which is the one now used in flash8 pro.

As for your problem, are you getting this error when testing your movie within flash?
    If so publish your movie to create both swf and html page. Then run it in the browser. It is the browser that actually calls up the new window, so it will not work just testing in flash.

Mark

Hey Mark, should I just publish these files to my web host or should I FTP them. If so can I do this in Flash,or an outside program like Dreamweaver,(although I'm not to sure on doing this).

Hi,
    the dissapearing characters is odd, it could be that its just the error being abbreviated.

You should be able to just publish to your local hard drive and test the html page there. Its just that Flash can not open a browser from test mode, or a standalone swf. You must be running the movie in a browser.

As far as the URL I would put the "homepage.html" and your flash page and movie in the same directory so your URL would just be
    getURL("homepage.html,_self");

Got a rough of what I want for the site,tell me what you honestly think,I'm open to criticism. I know I have to work on the bio page (trying to get a template so I can scroll the bios in one place,also similiar template for the pic display,the one I had is not working out so well.Now I'm trying to get the optimization right on the main page,tried a coouple of tricks in the meta tags,but still not getting a good spot on the search engine any ideas.
    Last edited by kizer sosay; 11-07-2006 at 10:17 AM.

Hi,
    so it seems to be coming together, you have made a lot of progress.
    2 big things to consider.

My first and biggest concern is that it took about 16 seconds to load the first page on my dsl connection. That just doesn't seem right for the content. How big is the swf?

next I would keep the whole thing in flash, do not change to new html pages when the user clicks a section, just go to a new page in the swf.

If you want so me help with that and the loading issue let me know. I can certainly give you a simple prelaoder that will at least let people know something is happening while they wait.

Design wise when I view the video page and mouse over a button, the longer song names actually overlap into the next column.
    I suspect this may be because you did not embed the font? For dynamic text, as Flash has no idea what characters are being used you must embed the font. For static text flash automatically embeds whatever you use. If you do not embed the users computer substitutes a basic system font which may be a completely different size etc.

So if you are using a dynamic font on the video selection buttons (which you are if you followed my tips) you need to go into the button, select the textbox, then the embed button on the properties panel will become active. Click it and in the dialog box add just the minimum parts of the font to do the job. Fonts are quite large if you embed all the characters.
    In your case embed, Upper Case, lower case from the list then type the other few characters used in at the bottom, 25,'

also aesthetically maybe and this is just personal, a different color control on the video player.

good luck, here if you need a hand
    mark
    Last edited by mgason; 11-06-2006 at 11:14 AM.

Flash and quicktime or a better solution

Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a mess... Im requiredto make a presentation which will be burnt on DVDs and the boss requires the presentation in .mov in order to make dvds. My problem is I cannot useactionscript or movieclips for my motions I have to place the entirepresentation in one long timeline which is hectic, boring, and limits me from doing certain cool stuff because exporting to quicktime movie, the Mcs and AS are not recognised the thing just stops. Can you give me a solution to this. Do i need to download certain stuff in order to make the DVD using my flash file? The bottom line is they want a DVD they dont care how it's done.. They just know it through quicktime.

When I publish in quicktime I'm told the installed version of quicktime does not have a handler for this type of Macromedia Flash Movie.

Where can I get this handler if this would be the solution? please help me I just cant have a million frames of animation :-(

Mubin

this might relate to you and its not good news

http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2...3_disable.html

this may help
    http://www.laflash.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2405

PS I would post this question as a new thread, hidden here in this old thread you may not get much attention

Quote Originally Posted by mgason
    this might relate to you and its not good news

http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2...3_disable.html

this may help
    http://www.laflash.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2405

PS I would post this question as a new thread, hidden here in this old thread you may not get much attention
    Thanks I think I'll do that.. post it seperately.

The links didnt help much, but thanks for the help.

Mubin

where is your dvd to be used? will the user be watching it on TV or on a computer?
    If the user is using a computer and the latest quicktime has flash support switched off by default you have a problem.
    People will need to change a preference in quicktime.

Also remember the version of flash supported in the quicktime player is a couple behind at least now. Is that part of your problem?

mark

Hi,
    I think you are making this way hard for yourself, all this list code does nothing for you yet makes it complicated. What you want to do should be really simple.
    Have you tried my last fla, it will do all you want I think. You do not need any of these behaviours.
    You could build this thing in half an hour by just changing the appearance of the button in my file and attaching the flv names.

Anyway as far as a number, I put 10 in the list ,it worked fine. The code checks the number of items in the list and works with that number. Only restriction to 7 is that dialog box interface. Just add them right into the code.
    Or just do away with the list thing!

I am not sure what is up with your code, could be a typo, missing bracket who knows. Hard to spot in a big slab like that without testing.
    So I am just going to attach the movie I made that loads 10. Change the flv names.

Take a look at my button example from the last post seems the way you should go to me.

The attached works, but again I don't really get why you want to bother.
    Mark
    hello mark,
    i'm a long time FK member but this may be my 1st post.
    i have a similar flv issue as this one, with a twist.
    i purchased a flash template site for a friend and tweaked it to their specs however, he wants videos in one of the galleries. that's where my troubles began. at first i thought i was simply an idiot, but now i think it's gotta be something to do with the way the site is designed that isn't allowing me to implement the code the way you have is structured? ..."help me obi-mark-enobi... you're my only hope!"

i've zipped the .fla and .swf in hopes that you'd be willing to take a look and let me know what you think is amiss: http://www.theultimatemansion.com/main_11.26.06.zip

the item im working on is "page-3 GALLERY" in the "PAGES" folder of the library. and the video component is in the "videos" folder. the buttons are the "FASHION VIDEO 1 - 4". i just can't get the videos to show or play, and i've been trying for a week.

im using flash8 pro:
    i've been through your "FLV Playback test2_mark.zip" file and it works with my videos no problem, so i tried to apply all the code where is should go in the VIDEOGRAPHY section of the gallery. i've been over and over it and can't figure out why it won't work??? i wouldn't ask you for help if i wasn't at my wits end.

i've placed the flvplayback component on the stage, pasted the actions and modified the flv names, added the actions to the buttons etc. but when i check the actions in the script asst. i get the following error:

-----------------------------------------
    **Error** Symbol=page-3 GALLERY, layer=Actions, frame=3:Line 31: '{' expected
    videos.ready = function( evt:Object ):Void

**Error** Symbol=page-3 GALLERY, layer=Actions, frame=3:Line 48: '{' expected
    videos.complete = function( evt:Object ):Void

and here's the code that i'm using:

// Set Videos Behavior

// Create a videos object to hold a video
    // playlist and event handler functions...
    var videos:Object = new Object();

// Set up to 7 video feeds in a single component
    videos.list = new Array();
    videos.list[0] = "video1_400x320.flv";
    videos.list[1] = "video2_400x320.flv";
    videos.list[2] = "video3_400x320.flv";
    videos.list[3] = "video4_400x320.flv";
    videos.list[4] = "video1_400x320.flv";
    videos.list[5] = "video2_400x320.flv";
    videos.list[6] = "video3_400x320.flv";
    videos.list[7] = "video4_400x320.flv";
    videos.list[8] = "video1_400x320.flv";
    videos.list[9] = "video2_400x320.flv";
    videos.loop = false;
    videos.length = 1;
    videos.loaded = false;

// Path to FLVPlayback components
    var m = this.Player_instance;

// Set the path of the first video feed
    m.contentPath = videos.list[0];

// Set a 'ready' event handler to load the videos
    videos.ready = function( evt:Object ):Void
    {
    if(!this.loaded){
    this.loaded = true;
    for( var n=1; n<this.list.length; n++ ){
    if( videos.list[n].indexOf(".flv") != -1 ){
    m.activeVideoPlayerIndex = n;
    m.contentPath = videos.list[n];
    this.length++;
    }
    }
    m.activeVideoPlayerIndex = 0;
    }
    }
    m.addEventListener("ready",videos);

// Set a 'complete' event handler to load the next video
    videos.complete = function( evt:Object ):Void
    {
    var nextIndex = Number(evt.vp)+1;
    if( nextIndex == this.length){
    if( this.loop ){
    nextIndex = 0;
    }else{
    return;
    }
    }
    m.activeVideoPlayerIndex = nextIndex;
    m.visibleVideoPlayerIndex = nextIndex;
    m.play();
    }
    m.addEventListener("complete",videos);

// End Set Videos Behavior

i'd be extremely grateful and appreciative if you can offer any assistance with this. i've scoured dozens of sites and forums for clues that'll point to a solution, and your's seems simple and perfect... i just can't get it to work.

thank you in advance for your guidance,

~g

ggforce@gmail.com

Hi,
    so it seems to be coming together, you have made a lot of progress.
    2 big things to consider.

My first and biggest concern is that it took about 16 seconds to load the first page on my dsl connection. That just doesn't seem right for the content. How big is the swf?

next I would keep the whole thing in flash, do not change to new html pages when the user clicks a section, just go to a new page in the swf.

If you want so me help with that and the loading issue let me know. I can certainly give you a simple prelaoder that will at least let people know something is happening while they wait.

Design wise when I view the video page and mouse over a button, the longer song names actually overlap into the next column.
    I suspect this may be because you did not embed the font? For dynamic text, as Flash has no idea what characters are being used you must embed the font. For static text flash automatically embeds whatever you use. If you do not embed the users computer substitutes a basic system font which may be a completely different size etc.

So if you are using a dynamic font on the video selection buttons (which you are if you followed my tips) you need to go into the button, select the textbox, then the embed button on the properties panel will become active. Click it and in the dialog box add just the minimum parts of the font to do the job. Fonts are quite large if you embed all the characters.
    In your case embed, Upper Case, lower case from the list then type the other few characters used in at the bottom, 25,'

also aesthetically maybe and this is just personal, a different color control on the video player.

good luck, here if you need a hand
    mark
    Hey Mark ,Happy Holidays and a great New Year to you,just been tweeking the site a little,still having the loading issue,it still takes a bit longer than it should to load up,is that because of the html vs. swf page issue,as usual I'd appreciate any help you can give. K