A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Mac Internet Explorer Trouble

Mac Internet Explorer Trouble

I use a mac to design websites and check the sites on both Mac and PC for functionality and use several different browsers. I am using Flash 7 and going to be upgrading to 8 soon. We have been doing this for many years and all of a sudden Internet Explorer on our Macs has stopped working well with Flash. A person can still navigate through the flash movies until they click on a link that goes to a different html page. If they do this nothing happens. It's like a dead link and it works in all other browsers and platforms and usually works in I.E. on the mac but now it's not. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Vote for your dog
    IE for Mac is Deceased ... RIP ... Dead as a Doornail...

Internet Explorer development for Macintosh was terminated a while back ~ 2003 and the product was pulled in ~ January '06.

Get Safari/Firefox ... whatever

This explains why IE for Mac responds poorly to newer versions of Flash.
    As far as i know there will not be a Flash player 9 for IE on a Mac.
    Flash Player 8 supposedly works on IE ver 5.2 for Mac on OSX systems only. OS 9 and earlier ... Flash player 7 on IE 5.1.

Microsofts link to IE for Mac
    http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product...ternetexplorer

Adobe Flash Player (Formerly Macromedia) - System Requirements page
    http://www.adobe.com/products/flashp...fo/systemreqs/
    Last edited by Orkar; 10-07-2006 at 06:35 PM.

Does this mean:
    http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product...ternetexplorer
    ...that whilst working on the MAC and testing on IE (v5.2) is a waste of time.

Therefore can the only way to test if your Flash 8 work works on the majority of end user browsers (eg. IE) is to test on a new PC?

Vote for your dog
    Yes ... a waste of time.......

But, I'm sure that you can find a PC somewhere with IE 6 on it to test your Flash work. (at worst an internet cafe) but you've got to know someone with a pc...

Shudder... buy a used PC desktop running Win2000 for $150 and throw spitballs at it while not testing your flashwork.

But for your info... testing on a MAC with IE installed was never a good way to verify your PC Internet Explorer functionality as it was coded on a different platform(MAC) than the regular version... and the Flash Player was also substantially different from its PC cousin.