A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: php site ;) niceeee Graphic, not true?

wow.

interesting you should put a link to the W3C validation of your site when it Fails with 44 errors.

Also the CSS validation fails because of invalid XML.

Dude your site is a mess. Try something simple and clean.

Yea man, having trouble using php includes, as in:
    when i go to 'view source' of index.php, then i see all codes of all included pages. I didn't know that since 2 days ago. So already deleting <!DOCTYP> <html> and <body> tags in each page that will be inculded by index.php

that way the code will be validated
    http://www.michaellobry.com specialized by and for Web Media Designers. Herein shown should be summarizings about Web Media Design (eg. all CSS rules, SHTML tags, How to PHP, Macromedia/ Adobe app how-tos, etc. Please e-mail yours to webmaster@michaellobry.com so that everybody learns)

forget about php includes!!! why would you need to use php includes?

first building an html site that works.

peace.

Actually, have enough good validated SHTML and XHTML websites.
    Since i'm since this month learning PHP, i have to work according to the PHP book (creating a web shop). Furthermore, like a main.swf file, wherein is included all other swf files, i am working on a php version (main.php), but i have to learn how to do that firstly.

1) Your footer is WAAAAY too big. Read the flashkit forum rules before posting. You need to lower the size before a mod finds you and castrates you.
    Quote Originally Posted by footer rules
    JPG, GIF or PNG ONLY!
    ONE image prefered, but if you must have multiple images they must all total less than 300 pixels wide by 40 pixels high with a 15kb filesize maximum!
    NOTE: 3 lines of text with image, 5 lines of text without image. No large fonts.
    2) Your graphics are big, outdated, and...in general, not "niceee." This site looks like an offshoot from an old GeoCities template. That being said, lets be productive here and talk about how to improve it.
    • Colours - find a pallette that works. These look randomly chosen and are generally unappealing.
    • Broken images...fix them. Fix them now.
    • Pixellated images (see above)
    • Fonts...pick one. At least pick one font family. Your choice of them is unnerving. It looks like a ransom note.
    • Transparencies. Leave these alone. The less the better...if you never use them...you'll know when to.
    • Languages. Why is your site multi-lingual. Your site is in English. Your buttons are in Rotterdam-ese. Pick one.
    • In general, try not to use capital letters when naming html/php/asp, etc files unless absolutely necessary. Too easy to make typos that ruin links on your lovely site. Use all lowercase and you'll avoid migraine-inducing problems later on.
    • Make your buttons more logical. You have links all over the place. Usability is 90% of a website. Look at google.com One box - one button. Works well. You have buttons, text links, gif button links...it's a mess. Make the site intuitive. A good test would be to find the oldest person you can and ask them to surf your site. When they look at you with that "uhhhh...so...what should I do" look...you'll know what I mean.
    • Why is there a name and password entry box on this site? Is this a backdoor to the CIA or the KGB or something? If you dont need it, lose it. See my post about google above.

Thats enough for now. This stuff may sound harsh, but believe me...if you take even 10% of this advice, your stuff WILL get better.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

you said:
    1) Your footer is WAAAAY too big. Read the flashkit forum rules before posting. You need to lower the size before a mod finds you and castrates you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by footer rules
    JPG, GIF or PNG ONLY!
    ONE image prefered, but if you must have multiple images they must all total less than 300 pixels wide by 40 pixels high with a 15kb filesize maximum!
    NOTE: 3 lines of text with image, 5 lines of text without image. No large fonts.

reply:
    done. btw, thanks for the warning, i didn't realise it.

www.marshmallowpie.com thanks hanratty21, great advice. It helped me thinking how to improve michaellobry.com, so that i'll do. About your website, it's great. Small though, but you have done many web sites. It would be nice if i could see all hyperlinks on that portfolio site as well. Also i'd like to see on you site: your media design (logos and all) - these are only thoughts when i was on your website -

Quote Originally Posted by johnwhello
    www.marshmallowpie.com thanks hanratty21, great advice. It helped me thinking how to improve michaellobry.com, so that i'll do. About your website, it's great. Small though, but you have done many web sites. It would be nice if i could see all hyperlinks on that portfolio site as well. Also i'd like to see on you site: your media design (logos and all) - these are only thoughts when i was on your website -
    I'll keep all that in mind if and when I ever have time to work on my own site. Lots of client work and a day job precludes me from this.
    Last edited by hanratty21; 10-20-2006 at 01:40 PM.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Official FK nice guy and MOD 3PRIMATES's Avatar
    I am really sorry to have to say this, as I am usually a very nice guy, but your site is horrible.

You have a lot to learn and there is no better time than the present.
    Look up tutorials on web design basics, advanced css, Javascript, PHP, color theory, Photoshop basics.

I am sorry to sound so harsh as I am usually very much the opposite, but I think you need a dose of reality.

I am not saying you wont make a good designer, I am saying that you need practice.

Besides the code errors all over the place, the design is just bad, the colors are just bad, and the content is riddeled with typos and is not well formated.
    Fonts are all over the place and the whole site has the look of those old sites templates that were used on geocities and MyPages. The ones that were designed for kids and housewifes that wanted to make a website but didnt know how.
    3P

I'm not going to lie to you. I'm not even going to sugar coat it. This is literally, and I mean this completely seriously, the worst "website" I have ever seen. Ever. I cannot think of one thing that tops this atrocity. I could easily name 100 things wrong with it. I'm sorry to be so harsh, man, but this is really, really ugly. Normally I would actually try to give you some constructive criticism, which is what you really need, but it's clear from this site that you lack knowledge in even the most elemental web design principles. I wish you luck in your future web design projects, but you should REALLY remove ANY association between yourself and this page, and never speak of it again. You should do this for your professional integrity.

Up to you then.

Coming Sooooon!!!
    I hate spam in the [ Cool Sites ] Section.

DelvarWorld is almost right, but, well, i'm not that rude. Einstein was a wise man when he said that "everything is relative"... I can't call it ugly because maybe someone with a different taste likes it, but if you want my personal opinion: well, i made better things at the age of 5 then this... Btw, where on earth are the so called "graphics" ?

hm, no hard feelings dude...

Regards,
    Biro

At the age of 5? In that case, I feel sorry for you wbwd

Quote Originally Posted by wbwd
    Btw, where on earth are the so called "graphics" ?
    Yea man, thanks for you message. Graphics i meant are actually referred to the images shown on the homepage only (thus background, and scrolling background of <div>)
    Last edited by johnwhello; 10-23-2006 at 05:12 PM.
    http://www.michaellobry.com specialized by and for Web Media Designers. Herein shown should be summarizings about Web Media Design (eg. all CSS rules, SHTML tags, How to PHP, Macromedia/ Adobe app how-tos, etc. Please e-mail yours to webmaster@michaellobry.com so that everybody learns)

Quote Originally Posted by MagnusVS
    At the age of 5? In that case, I feel sorry for you wbwd
    bhaahaha... thx magnus, but don't worry i'll get over it