A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can a virgin prostitute exist?

Can a virgin prostitute exist?

I was talking with gerbick over msn sometime earlier, and a very interesting question arose...

Can a prostitute be a virgin?

Imagine a girl, with all the hopes and dreams of being a prostitute, who has set her heart on selling herself for sexual favours, hasn't quite had success yet? What if she's not too good at her profession?

This gave rise to a logically following question, namely: when does someone become something? Does it happen when they perform something in the line of their profession for the first time, or does it happen when they decide to become something?

What if you decide to be a carpenter, but have never touched a hammer, can you then be called a carpenter? If you decide to be a lawyer, but have never set foot in a court room, are you then a lawyer?

When does the line between practicing a profession and solely having aspirations thereto get crossed?

The case of the virgin prostitute is, of course, quite unique, because it really doesn't require anything other than a set of sex organs and a low set of moral standards. Really, anyone can be a prostitute, you don't require formal training. But still, can one be called a prostitute if one never actually has sex?

Say you buy a gun, with the intention of killing someone. Are you then by default a murderer? Or do you turn into a murderer when you pull the trigger?

Again, we must turn ourself to the prostitute. Because, for becoming a murderer, you have to first kill someone. Yet, society sees someone willing to sell sex as a prostitute. Yet if one doesn't actually "do it", but has every intention to, what is he or she then?

I really can't find an answer to the question. Care to discuss, anyone?
    hello.

I'd say you're not a murderer/prostitute/carpenter just because you intend to be one... if that were the case I'd be thin tall and good looking!

well, if a prostitue is paid by a 'customer', that was her first 'job'. and in my opinion, she is a prostitue as soon as she starts to recevie an income from that line of work. and a customer may pay the prostitute even though they may not have yet had sex.

they may pay her for other services which are also part of her job (you know the kind of thing), so yes i would say you can have a virgin prostitue. but probably not for long!!

also, a prostitute CAN be a virgin

Quote Originally Posted by wouter999
    what is he or she then?
    Probably really ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by carly1979
    well, if a prostitue is paid by a 'customer', that was her first 'job'. and in my opinion, she is a prostitue as soon as she starts to recevie an income from that line of work. and a customer may pay the prostitute even though they may not have yet had sex.

they may pay her for other services which are also part of her job (you know the kind of thing), so yes i would say you can have a virgin prostitue. but probably not for long!!
    bingo. prostitution is whenever you decide to be one and accept the money. the act is just the confirmation of the whole act(s) involved in becoming a prostitute.

just like I said earlier. whenever you purchase a gun, you've decided that you're going to kill something. Or at least shoot something. when you decide you're going to take money for sex... you're on the path to prostitution. Accepting the money for it, you're a prostitute. and when you consummate the deal with sex... you're a prostitute all the way through.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jujumon
    also, a prostitute CAN be a virgin
    bill clinton rules?
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

unlikely but possibly is the answer.
    the happy ending in a massage parlour etc.

carly, gerbick: what if she takes the money and decides not the do it. THen she is a theft, not a prostitute.

If policeman owns a gun but never shoot, he is not a murderer, but a gun owner.

i say the moment the action takes place then it is a profession.

jujumon:

so, if a prostitute sees a customer and they do get up to some ummm 'activities', but never actually sex, and she gets paid for these activities..... you reckon she is still not a prostitute?

i reckon a policewoman is a policewoman as soon as she starts any policey type activity and gets paid for that, it does not start when she arrests someone......
    (that's the best example i can think of!!)

i thought this was a G rated forum : ) I agree if she doesnt actually have sex then shes still a virgin

sorry carly, i re-read your reply. i agree with you

My statement is directed to Gerbick only now. When he said something like
    prostitution is whenever you decide to be one and accept the money. the act is just the confirmation of the whole act(s) involved in becoming a prostitute.
    another example i can think of apart from policewo/man is a doctor. If i decided to be a doctor i would get myself a white lab coat or something. But that doesnt really make me a doctor is it?

btw, what is the correct definition of virgin.

someone never had intercourse or someone never had sex(other types).

Your problem seems to be the definition of prostitute. Do you define it as someone who sells themselves for the specific act of intercourse, or simply sexually related activites (to put it mildly)?

If a girl offers her service for a monitary reward, does this a prostitute make? If so, then the occurance of th virgin prostitute is obviously acceptable and well within the realm of possibility.

Of course, if we change the definition to someone selling intercourse, then the question becomes when exactly does the individual acquire the prostitute label? Is it after the actual intercourse act? In which case the virgin prostitute becomes an oximoronic phrase. Or is the label applied by simply offering the afformentioned service?

As stated before, one is not considered a murderer until the act of murder occurs, at which point one can safely apply the label murderer on to another. Similarly with policewoman. One is not considered a policewomen until they have passed some sort of test that gives them the label of policewoman. Also with High School graduate, and almost all other labels, a qualifying test must be passed to acquire the appropriate label.

In this case, the label is protitute. I argue that the action of offering prostitutional services if the qualifying test that attributes the prostitute label onto an individual, not the action of intercourse for monetary return, but the intent.

It is plainly obvious that one can lose the label prostitute at some point in their life, and so the label must be preceded by a qualifier stating past-tense ownership of the prostitute label for it to be correct. If this is the case, then what must occur for the label to be re-applied to this once prostituted individual? I must say that the answer is independant of the virginity status of this individual.

I think it best not to conflate the two labels -- virgin and prostitute -- as this is where the confusion arises.
    Last edited by gerbick; 10-09-2006 at 01:06 PM. Reason: slight edit... two words removed.

sorry carly, i re-read your reply. i agree with you

My statement is directed to Gerbick only now. When he said something like

another example i can think of apart from policewo/man is a doctor. If i decided to be a doctor i would get myself a white lab coat or something. But that doesnt really make me a doctor is it?
    no. but you intend on being a doctor once you enter the proper schooling. when you receive your degree, you still intend on being a doctor. when you go into your residence, you are learning to be a proper doctor. when you treat your first patient, then you are a doctor.

just the same way you make up your mind to sell your body for profit, you intend on being a prostitute. when you go to the street corner to sell your body, you intend on being a prostitute. when you receive cash after a solicitation, you intend on being a prostitute - actually, I say once cash is received, you are one. Then when you go through with the act, you are confirmed as a prostitute.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    ...you intend on being a prostitute - actually, I say once cash is received, you are one. Then when you go through with the act, you are confirmed as a prostitute.
    thats the thing though. Once the money is recieved and she decides against doing it at the last minute, runs away and leaves the guy hanging. She makes up her mind to never again want to be a prostitute.

Then she isnt (shouldnt) yet labelled a 'prostitute'.

Aight guys come on G-rated.
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;
    My cycling themed designs Pats Design Portfolio

I thought they've kept it clean. They're not delving into the "acts" said person might solicit.

thats the thing though. Once the money is recieved and she decides against doing it at the last minute, runs away and leaves the guy hanging. She makes up her mind to never again want to be a prostitute.

Then she isnt (shouldnt) yet labelled a 'prostitute'.
    I guess the word intend was overlooked by you. I used it three times.

If you intend on doing something, you have that set out as a goal. Once you consummate it, then it's confirmed. Please re-read what I typed earlier.

If she runs, at the last second... she's a person that's intended on being a prostitute, yet she's basically a prostitute wannabe that's also a thief.

Which came first? The prostitution as a "goal".

Quote Originally Posted by yasunobu13
    If a girl offers her service for a monitary reward,
    Last edited by gerbick; 10-09-2006 at 01:08 PM. Reason: removed two words... if you want it g-rated, don't quote non-g-rated material.
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;
    My cycling themed designs Pats Design Portfolio