A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Show - F8] 3D Tunnel Driving

Fall_X, have you played STUN Runner (by Atari)?

It's coming along nicely, now finish it!! It runs fine on my PC (Pentium 4 2Ghz)
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

crossconscious
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_404
    I think one ofthe reasons people find it unnatural is because it is an ovular track, when you rotate an oval and something is on the bottom, it seems like that thing should move up or down or something. If it were a circular track, I don't think you'd get as many "it's not natural" complaints.
    Good point. I just put in that car as some kind of placeholder, but naturally it should move up and down along with the track, or the track should be round.

Quote Originally Posted by XareoX
    I like it but what do you do??
    Nothing yey. Just a demo snippet thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Beez
    Fall_X, have you played STUN Runner (by Atari)?
    Can't say I have. I looked it up, looks nice and old school. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by robertinho7
    It's coming along nicely, now finish it!! It runs fine on my PC (Pentium 4 2Ghz)
    Well, I used to finish most of my games earlier this year, but I'm in a spot where most indie developers get sometimes : lack of motivation to work on my projects. But that's why I'm trying this now, something new. New challenges always motivate me. I do hope I get back to my other projects soon though, because I had some nice offers for two of them But this one is really interesting to do, so I have high hopes for it.
    Last edited by Fall_X; 10-13-2006 at 09:06 PM.

crossconscious
    Slightly more impressive version : http://www.gamesquid.com/temp_/tunnel/tunnel2.html

Round course, more sense of depth, better graphics (but still the ugly car), and a track that bends a bit.
    Last edited by Fall_X; 10-13-2006 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fall_X
    However, I just tried moving (not rotating) the background a few pixels in the same direction as the rotation, and it does give it more depth and looks more realistic. So thanks AfternoonDelight for making me think about it.
    Yeah, that's what I meant.

I just couldn't.. express it because I didn't really think about it, hah.

But, I'm glad my input was put to some use.

Just took a look at the newer vision. I think it looks better when you move the car. Something that's still throwing me off is the actual physics of a car moving in a tunnel. The rotation is kind of choppy or something. But, I think I'm just being way too picky, hah.

It looks good. Interested in seeing the final use for it.
    Last edited by AfternoonDelite; 10-14-2006 at 02:04 AM.

As it is now something def not feel right. anytime you create something in 3d on a flat screen it's best to imagine looking at what you are making as a real object, but looking at it with only one eye. Unless toilet paper rolls come with the game =/

go stand out side and put a bottle on the railing, turn your head sideways and look at with one eye,... are the clouds also at a 90 degree angle?

how ever this turns out, bravo to you trog, you have brought up an interesting topic indead.
    Last edited by everfornever; 10-14-2006 at 05:16 AM.

crossconscious
    Yeah, I definately agree that the rotation is still way off, but this will be improved upon.

Wow, that's sweet man. Love the graphics. The car mc sucks, but I'm sure you know that.

Chuck in some twists and turns, some bad guys, a few power ups and some heavy metal and you'd have an above average Flash game.

crossconscious
    Thanks. Another demo in case anyone is interested, inside a cave :
    http://www.gamesquid.com/temp_/tunnel/tunnel3.html
    I know it's a bit repetitive, I still need to make a format that allows me to add variation, as it is now the tracks are generated with a simple for loop, with all the parts the same. But I think it looks pretty convincing.

Student
    in case anyone is interested
    yes always!
    you could store the information into xml and that way dynamicly load png images within the engine to easier vary the levels later- without the need to re- compile the flash movie.

crossconscious
    Yes, I've thought of that and it's a good idea, except, if I were to submit it to portals such as newgrounds (and I'm not saying I will, but I might), then that would give a problem because you usually can't provide extra files. But if this turns out as good as I would like, I'd probably try to license it, which would resolve that problem.

I really enjoy working on graphics for this, which I usually don't, so I'm quite excited about this game. But first I need to brainstorm about gameplay/story ideas, I'm not really into racing games, so I need to add my own little twist.

Student
    then load the xml/ png files from absolute URL´s-, like your own one. Just add that domain within the security settings and it should work.
    its just a pain in the a** imo. refreshing images or adding new ones in Flash,- same goes for writing huge array´s for level data

crossconscious
    During development, you can load everything externally, but embed it in the production version. It could be switched with one boolean. And instead of arrays, you can have embedded xml as strings.
    I don't want to use my own bandwidth when hosting the game somewhere else. If a media-intense game like this gets popular, it could start costing too much.

Game Player - Developer scheletro's Avatar
    For those games I always use a 3D movie and I just program or the car or the ambient to move

"I love to make them as I love to play them"

Hiya! long time, no post.

Not coded a single line for many months as I've been busy working... so I have forgotten alot, but will eventually start coding as it's very enjoyable to produce stuff . Luckily/unluckily I have only 2 weeks of work left (the company wont hire anyone), then unemployed again.... then I can finally start doing what I like again.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I was working on a similar type of game months ago (6 months ago I think, which was also my last post): Tunnel test (got help here with the ship steering). But I can't make cool tunnels, like you :/. This game is going to be similar to Stardust.

I'll need to learn to do some 3D stuff, do the ship and other stuff and have only fiddled around with Swift3D a little bit and managed to produce a basic ship.... just as a learning curve... it can be seen on www.retrogaming4ever.com under "In development" and the "A space shooter", so nothing special...

Was nice leaving a post here again ...

crossconscious
    A new version, which is a bit more interesting (variation! ), can be found here : http://www.gamesquid.com/?/blog/-/NEWS/article/19

Ironclaw : That looks like fun. You definately should finish it!

That's insane, I like it! That last version is really good. It might be a kind of a simple idea but you've really used it very well. Hope to see your game finished soon. And btw, I like the rotating background more than the static one
    This is MC. His _parents sent him to stop() by the super market to buy some _root beer if he wanted to gotoAndPlay() with his friends at the park later.

This is my Blog!... The gaming Process
    Please check out my site: Giddel Creations

crossconscious
    Thanks! Yeah, the background is only static in the latest version because I reprogrammed and restructured everything, and forgot to rotate the background

Student
    makes a much better impression now- and it even runs pretty fast on this old PIII 700 Mhz machine

Excellent 3d effect and runs fast for me too.

MichaelUK