A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Is the US becoming a totalitarian State?

Quote Originally Posted by japangreg
    Not saying it's a bad thing - just after the third of forth post back and forth between only 2 people, it really doesn't add much to the thread. I'm all in favor of everyone on this board being critical of their government (I try my best to be) and frank open discussions - which is what I'm trying to have here. But wouldn't it be seen as a unwelcome distraction if someone in a thread about how bad the Aussie govt. was starting saying, "Well, what about Bush?"

I think we can all agree that there is no 'perfect' government or country on this planet. And while it may seem like hypocrisy for someone from another country to spend their time bashing the U.S. without saying a word against their own country, I can't seem to see the logic behind someone having to publicly declare their problems with each and every other country in order to make a criticism about the U.S. in a thread specifically on that subject.

But I'm just a lowly member - you're the mod. Do as you will.

You have a point but I agree with Gerbick. You are right, one shouldn't have to say something bad about their own country before commenting on any other nation's problems. However, when that constant critique of a certain country comes from the same members, over and over again, well, you put 2+2 together.

It's easy for one to say "go ahead, start a thread about Australia, I'll bash my own country too". But DP is right, not only would it be an unpopular thread, but it would probably be seen as just a way to shift blame from the US, and inevitiably, the thread would change course to blame America on whatever situation. Call me skeptic but that's what usually happens, just look at any thread about North Korea. Why doesn't anyone ever talk about Russia and China's efforts (or lack thereof) to stop the crisis? Or, God forbid, actually talk about North Korea and how they may be adding fuel to the fire?

So David, you say Americans have thin skin, and I agree that many of us do and for good reason. You don't live in a country that is placed under a microscope. Every stupid little thing that happens here gets reported on around the world like it's breaking news. A school shooting will get multiple pages of discussion on US gun control while 50 people can get massacred in Darfur and nobody blinks an eye.

Maybe we should just let everything slide, and try to implement every single suggestion people have, but maybe you too should realize that the critique get's old and you can usually expect some kind of response from an American here that may or may not agree with you.

Just a little bit back on subject: damn...
    Hush child. japangreg can do what he wants. - PAlexC
    That was Zen - this is Tao.

It is obvious that the US is the center of discussion and especially now with the Bush government the center of critique. The US is a superpower and sees itself in the role to dictate other nations what to do. It affects everybody in Europe, in Asia, middle east and Africa. This

http://pdftohtml.markoer.org/pdf2ht...ce%20Policy.pdf

is just another attempt of the US to show their superpower to others by claiming the Universe for themselves in a doctrin recently discovered by the Washington Post. It is very clear after the Neocons have taken over the white house. I don't think Australia or Germany could have a similar influence on the world politics as the US unless they started a world war.

However, there was a thread about North Korea recently, which was pretty heavily visited. Again, this is a country, which in a way will affect all of us. Therefore, that much attention.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    what is the point about saying something bad about canada or australia, if they dissapeared tomorrow nobody would miss them. They just don't matter on the international board. I mean in risk.. how many armies do you get for australia and canada?
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I mean in risk.. how many armies do you get for australia and canada?
    Canada was just part of America
    >flashl!ght<
    All the normal names were taken.
    Ron Paul was right.

What's the point about saying something bad about the U.S.?

As long as we're in bed with the Chinese we have nothing to fear.

Vote for your dog
    DO NOT insult Canada or Australia!!!

<<and please do not re-edit my posts>>
    Last edited by Orkar; 10-20-2006 at 12:30 AM.

okar, calm down buddy, you're in the coffee lounge. Humor....even the most tasteless is rampant here.

Plus, what does canada have to offer other than hockey and beer?
    And Australia? Meh! Mel Gibson is now tarnished forever, steve irwin is dead. nuf said.

Vote for your dog
    fine ... and the USA offers death and body bags ... along with the UK ??

... as some members are free to insult some countries... why should I not insult others?...
    Last edited by Orkar; 10-20-2006 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orkar
    ... as some members are free to insult some countries... why should I not insult others?...
    Maybe I'm to blame for this...

My statements were to bring forward the atrocities of those countries that did some of the same exact, if not worse things and somehow escaped the title of "totalitarian".

I don't really see anybody insulting other countries. All I truly (personally) see is a misnomer.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]