A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Everfornever's help the newbs thread...

Everfornever's help the newbs thread...

This thread I dedicate to all/any one new to flash game making.

In an attempt to regain the good name of "Flashkit Game Forums" I vow to answer any code questions or help with graphics to the best of my ability.

I will start this thread with some links I found helpfull in my newb years.

http://www.learnflash.com/ <- excellent free video tutorials on the basics of flash.

http://www.tutorialized.com/tutorials/Flash/Games/1 <- learn alot of the basics of game making here.

http://www.tonypa.pri.ee/tbw/index.html <- excellent tile based tuts by tonypa, a local Flashkit member.

Hope the links help.

And no question is to dumb in "EVERFORNEVER'S HELP THE NEWBS THREAD"

Sorry, I find this thread patronising beyond belief.

If you have good links to share, post them in the knowledge base sticky, that's what it's there for.

We don't need a specific thread to help people, that's what every thread should be for.
    Just cause some mods got pissy in the RPG flame thread, there's no need for this.

If a thread appears like the RPG one, just point people to the read me guide. I've been doing that as nearly a one man show for a couple of years now, be nice if more people could use it as a resource to help the newer members here too.
    If after they've been show the guide and they still ask questions in the same sort of vein, then it's simple enough, you just write them off as being a waste of time. You don't need to flame them for it, just ignore them.

Squize.

Words of wisdom from The Book of Squize.

Appreciate the attitude, but it's true that every thread is an opportunity to help out and show your skills.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

sounds good, sorry squizie, maybie I went over board, I just thought I'd try to be nice since the mods were getting pissy =)

I will post my links in the knowledge base, you can delete this thread squizie, guess it was an attempt in the wrong direction =/

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by everfornever
    sounds good, sorry squizie, maybie I went over board, I just thought I'd try to be nice since the mods were getting pissy =)

If a moderator (and also one super moderator) pointing out that a group of members were bashing a fellow member is considered "pissy" (and not as what it is...their jobs) then maybe that would be a good place to start "rethinking" attitudes in here. Trying to be "nice" shouldn't require conscious thought...it should be automatic.

Chris, possibly a poor choice of words on my behalf.

everfornever good sentimente mate, but don't try too hard. We're all here for the same things, help a bit, learn a bit, play some great games

Squize.

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    For the record, I think all of our gamers are awesome. I think it's one of our more "cerebral" of forums, requires skill in many aspects of flash (and also in intelligent thought) and is usually a fun forum to watch. You guys set the standards for a lot of gamers.

Maybe this threads real goal will be to make you guys realize we appreciate you and for you to make new users realize you appreciate them.

Everfornever, you make it sound as if you know everything... trying to answer every question possible is a bit pompous, even if you mean well.
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Seahorn
    For the record, I think all of our gamers are awesome. I think it's one of our more "cerebral" of forums, requires skill in many aspects of flash (and also in intelligent thought) and....
    Damn, I'm screwed then

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Seahorn
    For the record, I think all of our gamers are awesome. I think it's one of our more "cerebral" of forums, requires skill in many aspects of flash (and also in intelligent thought) and is usually a fun forum to watch. You guys set the standards for a lot of gamers.
    Glad you said that, I was starting to get a bit annoyed by the way that a lot of people (including mods) seemed to be writing off the games forum as a unfriendly, uncivilised place for newbie bashers. In my opinion, the games forum quite possibly has the best community on these boards, and has a lot of very experienced, very helpful people. Just because these people rightly choose to avoid offending threads doesn’t mean that the games forum is out of control. I know that everyone probably realises this, but after reading through some of the recent posts, I found the attitudes of some people a little insulting to the games forum.

Anyway, sorry for the short rant, just thought I should say what I was thinking.

Ali

I am not the best game maker by far, but my offer still stands, as off as the OP may sound, it's with good intentions.

And I also agree with the previous stated, "We do have a great community of people here"

I am personally very happy to be included in said comunity, this leads me to be over zealous at times.