A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Website Idea - Volunteers Needed

Quote Originally Posted by renderhjs
    this aint yet a concept,- to many factors missing

- what does a review consists of? (how many screenshots their size, how does the rating works, ...
    - how are games compared (e.g categories, ranks,...)
    - copyright: are some games only linked externally, info on the author,...

also the design(s) are to much apple aqua/ eye candy trend genre- designs like those are to common nowadays (usually white gradient to fake carbon/ plastic effect).
    Have you thought about if your design is usefull when you have more than 100 reviews to visiualize it rather looks like a recently added section - but I would rethink that part if it had to be the front page.
    Check this link for some inspiration:
    http://browse.deviantart.com/designs...=9&alltime=yes
    I have made a review template so that the reviewers will be able to see what they are rating, this is not final, but it will give you a good idea what I want:

RATINGS -

Graphics - /10
    Game Play - /10
    Menus - /10
    Difficulty/Length - /10
    Controls - /10

Total (average) - /10

REVIEW -

Graphics - Describe the quality of the graphics, and the style, and how functional the are.

Game play - Describe how the game play works and how good and fun it is. Also tell if it is a storyline game, or a game that you just beat.

Menus - Describe how long the game takes to load, and the functionality of menus and preloaders.

Difficulty - Describe how easy or hard the game is. and how many minutes/hours it takes to complete (if completable).

Controls - Write exactly how the game works, and if the controls work well.

Overall - What did you think of the game as a whole, compared to other flash games, what kind of game was it the most like? What kind of people would like this type of game?

REQUIREMENTS FOR REVIEWS -

At least 200 words. Reviews should have correct grammar and spelling as much as possible.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

There will be about 3 - 5 screen shots on each game. Not to many. they will probably be about 300x300. I will not actually make most of the games playable ON the site, but I will provide links, and download links to games that allow it. I am also planning on making a section that flash designer can submit their own game for review, and they will have to say if it is licensed or not.

If you have anymore questions, I am happy to answer them.

this aint yet a concept,- to many factors missing

- what does a review consists of? (how many screenshots their size, how does the rating works, ...
    - how are games compared (e.g categories, ranks,...)
    - copyright: are some games only linked externally, info on the author,...

also the design(s) are to much apple aqua/ eye candy trend genre- designs like those are to common nowadays (usually white gradient to fake carbon/ plastic effect).
    Have you thought about if your design is usefull when you have more than 100 reviews to visiualize it rather looks like a recently added section - but I would rethink that part if it had to be the front page.
    http://browse.deviantart.com/designs...=9&alltime=yes
    And the design is DEFINITELY NOT final... once I get a planning board up, I will leave for open comments, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kianis
    English is not my native language so I really don't think much of misspelling on the internet. I just think that it's funny that the logo says veiw.
    Lol yeah I was just about to mention that.

Student
    about the rating (some thought of mine):
    - as a developer I´d like to see a category such as technology (how unique is the technology used in the title,- is it another clone with just different gfx,... Also regarding this how well is the game compressed or runs smooth on old computers aswell .Maybe things like this could be put to a label called quality or like mentioned before technology. Many noobs dont care about them and thus the game only runs optimal on their fast comptuers with broadband.

- sounds: most games dont pay much attention to them,- while others really make nice use of them.

about the design:
    And the design is DEFINITELY NOT final... once I get a planning board up, I will leave for open comments, and more.
    I thought so,- anyway take a look at the link I posted you- might inspire you aswell

Graphics - /10
    Game Play - /10
    Menus - /10
    Difficulty/Length - /10
    Controls - /10
    Total (average) - /10
    IMO should be
    Graphics
    Gameplay
    Difficulty
    Uniqueness
    Performance
    Total
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

BTW... I finally got the planning forum up... please continue to post there... it is not much, but it will be functional, until I turn it into an actual board for the website.

Here is the link... http://flashviewforums.jconserv.net/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by tidenburg
    IMO should be
    Graphics
    Gameplay
    Difficulty
    Uniqueness
    Performance
    Total
    I like that list, except for uniqueness... I think it only matters how fun it is...

Some of your pictures looks very, very good!
    Quote Originally Posted by widger5000
    I just created this rough design of what the site might look like... just encase you are curious.
    I can tell you from my experience you're standing in the beginning of a long, long way, which you need to go from the initial sketches to a complete working website w/ administration system and SEO optimization. Anyway, good luck.
    With no navigation bar I get the feeling the site will be hard to navigate through
    Same for me, I think the navigation menu is a heart of the site and may be a key to success.
    I'd do some reviews (sounds like fun) I'm only 14 though so that's a minus on my side but i'm predicted A/A* on all topics. :P Me = Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKris
    Well, you've convinced me. Whip yourself up the website with a database and when I see that done I'll write you a few reviews. You can catch plenty of my writing and website building skills here.
    Quote Originally Posted by RipX
    I'm happy to do some reviews too, if this thing gets off the ground then i'll check it out. Hope it works...if there is some small bits that need doing I might be able to help out but I can't commit cos i'm busy all the time!
    As far as I can see most of FK game developers found an idea to write couple of reviews fairly interesting, may be someone is interesting to write a game review for my site, meanwhile the widger5000 building his own?

http://browse.deviantart.com/design...r=9&alltime=yes
    Absolutely excellent samples for inspiration! How did you find them?

Quote Originally Posted by The Helmsman
    Some of your pictures looks very, very good!

I can tell you from my experience you're standing in the beginning of a long, long way, which you need to go from the initial sketches to a complete working website w/ administration system and SEO optimization. Anyway, good luck.

Same for me, I think the navigation menu is a heart of the site and may be a key to success.

As far as I can see most of FK game developers found an idea to write couple of reviews fairly interesting, may be someone is interesting to write a game review for my site, meanwhile the widger5000 building his own?

Absolutely excellent samples for inspiration! How did you find them?
    deviant art is blocked on my computer... I wish I could see it... could you give me a different link?

Student
    ..I finally got the planning forum up... please continue to post there... it is not much, but it will be functional, until I turn it into an actual board for the website.
    without me!,- I am tired of endless board accounts

if you want to get oppinions from people like me from time to time,- post some updates here

good luck
    btw. regarding deviantart use a proxy to access it

@ The Helmsman:
    because such websites involve my daily work ,- I have many other links as well - will post them when it makes sence

this might be against TOS... but I have tried various proxy's, and none of them work, is there one that you recommend?

without me!,- I am tired of endless board accounts

if you want to get oppinions from people like me from time to time,- post some updates here

good luck
    btw. regarding deviantart use a proxy to access it

@ The Helmsman:
    because such websites involve my daily work ,- I have many other links as well - will post them when it makes sence
    and would you PLEASE join the board? I'm only going to be updating this thread for a couple days... then it will be totally to the board... I BEGGING YOU!

deviant art is blocked on my computer... I wish I could see it... could you give me a different link?
    In this case, check out www.thefwa.com and www.2advanced.com - these two places where I like to go to be inspired.

and would you PLEASE join the board? I'm only going to be updating this thread for a couple days... then it will be totally to the board... I BEGGING YOU!
    I'm on board, already. The FK board.

Quote Originally Posted by The Helmsman
    I'm on board, already. The FK board.
    alright, but if you want to help, you are going to have to join that forum... I'm sorry... I cannot update two forums at once... please join...

Student
    make sure you have the correct URL
    this FK board likes to rape urls once they are quoted

about joining:
    do you have an idea how many people are asking me joining their non- puplic/ unknown boards? I have only a limited time,- joining another board takes to much time for me (for joining, submitting, watching).
    You need much more convincing someone like me

edit:
    another screendesign inspiration site (got it from this board once)
    the link
    Last edited by renderhjs; 11-12-2006 at 05:16 PM.

EDIT* Ooops. forgot the link

LEMON 64

...is a good example of a game review site.

Nice, simple design.Forum, chat room. Latest review listings. Easy navigation.
    Regular frontpage updates. News.

Extra suggestions.
    How about an authors section? Let them post their thoughts and comments, and if they're inclined, give them some space to put up their own game post-mortem. Something like that would give your site a lot more hits.

As for joining the board. Nope. Just post here. Most people here want to see an almost fully-functional website first, or in my case at least a review database. Seriously, get that up and running, with about a dozen good, amusing reviews in there, and people will THEN get motivated to lend a hand. I know this because I have been there. You have to make a big start and most of the work will be on your back even when you're established. It does no good running around like a headless chicken trying to get a team together until you've something people can see is innovative and worth their time. Till you reach that stage you're a dime a dozen guy with a dream, I'm afraid. In this day of free everything you've no excuse for not getting all the fundamentals done yourself anyway.

So, it comes to this, are you a MexiCAN? Or a MexiCAN't? (Please tell me you've seen that movie so I don't look like I just made up some cheesy line)

As for the graphics, don't worry about them being perfect at the start. It will be the reviews that count, and your site being easy nav/unique. You'll have all the time in the world to update the graphics at a later date.

Good luck young jedi. Remember FlashKit wasn't built in a day.

p.s.I can't wait to review my own game and give it a 100% rating, so you better get the database up soon.
    Last edited by EvilKris; 11-13-2006 at 12:38 AM.

2Advanced ? *shudder*

Here's a really nice set of reviews ( Even a couple from me )

http://www.gotoandplay.it/_reviews/

( Can't believe no one's linked to it yet )

Think it's already been mentioned, but I'd avoid a really stylised and / or Flash based site. There's a time and place for Flash, and it's not in a data driven site.

Squize.

The quality of the coding definitely needs to be rated. Like if it has time-based collisions or ragdoll physics, or clever BitmapData work. It's also nice to point out how fast the developer has managed to make the game run (*cough* ).
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

Student
    you could aslo ask yourself of what a likely good flash game consists of (code, design, art, sound/music, content/story, extended features (highscore, save states, map editor,...)
    anyway the whole rating system isn´t something you can decide on just 1 day