A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MMORTS: Someone to work with.

MMORTS: Someone to work with.

I am trying to make a game like: http://ev5.neondragon.net/ (flash based instead of html and such) but I can't keep it all strait in my head and so I'm getting a bit lost. I am very sure that I can do this but am having a hard time. Does someone want to give me a hand? I've already done a few components.

Umm... you haven't actually shown what you've made so far, and what you need help with. You may just be referring to the fact that you've made the preloader and main menu, but need someone to make a game to go with them.

Plus, you can't do MMO stuff in real-time with Flash. Turn-based, you could get away with, or multiplayer but not massively so (just about).
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by VENGEANCE MX
    Umm... you haven't actually shown what you've made so far, and what you need help with. You may just be referring to the fact that you've made the preloader and main menu, but need someone to make a game to go with them.

Plus, you can't do MMO stuff in real-time with Flash. Turn-based, you could get away with, or multiplayer but not massively so (just about).
    you can't? i thought you'd be able to pull off such a stunt if you used boundries to let you know which players are in your immediate vacintity (of course, i'm probably wrong, as i have no idea about flash online)

as for the mmo thing, try building up reputation, get some people you know to join your crew, and making simpler games before tackling something so large that will be online.

Student
    quite a few things already said.
    1. always tell something about yourself or something you already did for the thing you want from others. Just begging leaves lots of questions
    2. in case you already did not: try building a smal demo of what you want (till what part you are able to do...)
    3. if you have nothing on examples to show make at least a concept or a description so that people dont think WTF!

btw. the url is just vapor so it seems to me,- no screenshots, tour, info,.... at least I couldnt find them or the site tells me they are deactivated for the time beeing.
    Last edited by renderhjs; 10-09-2006 at 05:53 PM.

Trog, the issue is with how much data needs to be sent and received at any given time. Flash can't do it anywhere near as quickly as it ought to, since it doesn't have UDP or P2P support, and also needs to use a Java or PHP (usually) socket server to work with the data rather than doing it natively.
    Last edited by VENGEANCE MX; 10-09-2006 at 06:12 PM.
    You know you want to.

I am using a php script for saving data. I also have a script that loads time from the server. I am sure that this is the only necessary script that I need for now. I am glad that some of you have showed some interest in this idea. For the battling system I think that when you attack someone there will be a timer for your army to arrive but it will require the person to actually initiate the attack. For now at least. Same with updating resources and research and such. I do have a system for saving and loading that will allow you to attack others and look at their stuff. I'd rather not explain it here for security reasons. I've made a battle system without a timer and it works fine, all that is necessary is the php script for saving data. I'm sure that the load on the server will not be too bad because it's loading and saving small bits of data. The time script that I'm using checks every second but that can be changed of course to every minute. Maybe this couldn't be qualified as an mmorts but it's the closest classification that I can think of. The only issue that I can think of that could be a problem is attacking and developing and such can only be updated if you go online. I was thinking. Updating everything but being attacked will be updated by you and when a person attacks, they're the ones who changes the data. It could even be that when you get attacked the attacker updates your stuff for you, but that would come later. I can't think of any issues except maybe so possible security issues and I'm sure that even then that's not really a problem. For the main screen that is currently in development: http://www.typhoonent.com/mmortsg.swf and for the battle thing: http://www.typhoonent.com/battletest/battletest.swf Currently the battle screen is the only one that I have in saving data. How the battle screen works is you enter in a target and then you enter in the number of units for the attacker and defender. You press the attack button then press refresh to see it updated. When you press attack it loads the data off the server, then it calculates then saves it. The refresh button loads it off the server. In order for this to work you need to fill out the three boxes.

Student
    I'd rather not explain it here for security reasons.
    -_-
    dont overrate it, no need to put everything open

so what do you need collaboration on?,- graphics?, story, content, gui?

I'm not overrating it but if someone figures it out then they could easily mess up the game. I would like help with the coding because it's kind of confusing for me. The reason I'm not asking someone where I live is because everyone I know that lives here does not do any programing and the only person (who doesn't live here) I do know that programs doesn't even work with flash.

So no one is interested in trying to make a flash based version? Has anyone seen these done with flash? I'm sure that this is something that could be big if it gets pulled off.

Dude, you only waited about an hour for a reply before assuming nobody was interested. But it does seem you have almost no idea of how this works.
    You know you want to.

Two reasons stuff like this will NEVER work in flash:
    ~Its near impossible to connect alot of people with flash and still preserve game quality.
    ~It will get decompiled like theres no tommorow allowing people to cheat and ruin your game.

Its a good idea but everyones seen it all before.
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

Quote Originally Posted by VENGEANCE MX
    Dude, you only waited about an hour for a reply before assuming nobody was interested. But it does seem you have almost no idea of how this works.
    I wouldn't say that. He's got a basic little system working that seems to communicate with a server... Sure beats those ******s we see coming in here with nothing but a "press to play" button and crappy crayon drawings.

Swak, you're aiming for real-time? That's the only problem here. You can simulate realtime walking around n stuff, but battles need to be turn-based to work well with Flash.

Other than that, you're not too specific on what is "confusing" you. Also, if you can't wrap your head around what you need, have you tried designing the system on paper? Flowcharts? Design document? It really helps when you break something like this down into tiny chunks.

I'm sorry that I've been impatient. It's just that sometimes people don't respond to my threads and so I get kind of worried that there won't be a response. I'm not sure if it could be qualified as real time. Basically I have a script that will get the time from the server and so everything will be calculated in relation to that. For example: say you send guys to attack someone, it will calculate a time until arrival, then when they arrive they will wait until you tell them to attack or return home. This is the simplest way that I can think of and it should be fine. Has anyone seen something like this instead of using html or what ever? If so I'd be interested in where to find it. I don't see why the server couldn't handle it, all it is sending and receiving are small packets of data. I want to at least try to get this to work before giving up. I am currently working on the login and signup and am almost finished with the login part. Aren't there ways out there that would keep people from decompiling the swf? There are ways I'm sure to keep people from decompiling and other things that I could attempt to prevent cheating. Like having a backup and periodically compare the two for any unexpected increases in stuff.

Ray Beez, his use of the word 'real-time' and the suggestion of using PHP reading and writing to files rather than a socket server is why I said he has no idea of how this works. But I can tell he's not a noob, even if he's not being specific about what his questions are.

Although, you do have to admit, this is pretty much just another 'I want a team to help me make an MMO, since I don't know how' thread, just not funny like the other ones.
    You know you want to.

It's true that I don't have any experience with doing any networking with flash. Part of the reason why I'm doing this is because the best way to learn how to program is to set a project for yourself and do it. There has to be a first time for everything. Plus I think that this would be cool not to mention that this could open up other options for online games. I'm asking for someone to help me. I'm sure that I can do this myself but it would be nice if I could work with someone. It's not that I don't know how, it's just that I'm not sure how but will try anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by swak
    It's true that I don't have any experience with doing any networking with flash. Part of the reason why I'm doing this is because the best way to learn how to program is to set a project for yourself and do it. There has to be a first time for everything. Plus I think that this would be cool not to mention that this could open up other options for online games. I'm asking for someone to help me. I'm sure that I can do this myself but it would be nice if I could work with someone. It's not that I don't know how, it's just that I'm not sure how but will try anyhow.
    I know what you mean about "it would be nice if I could work with someone." But this probably isn't the best place to look for help about anything combining the words 'Flash' and 'multiplayer'.

I'm curious about it myself, but I haven't bothered to ask. Though you might want to start with a multiplayer game without the 'massively' part. Something like Stick Arena. Maybe ask the guys who did that to point you in the right direction. And let me know if you find anything.

Or maybe keep an eye on these guys.

About the "set a project for yourself and do it" thing, yes definitely, but you forgot the important part: "set up a small project". Maybe start with neworked pong? Then something a little bigger like Stick Arena, and then you might start thinking about something massive. Because it will probably be faster to learn through small projects than by repeatedly throwing yourself against the massive wall.

The way I'm planning to do this doesn't seem like a huge project, that's why I'm doing it text based. The only massive part of it is tons of people should be able to play at the same time. I don't think that any other form of multi-player games other than using scripts such as php are with in my reach. When I first got my website set up I had a lot of trouble with the webmaster. I took several weeks to get him to set it up. I really do not want to deal with the webmaster unless it's necessary.

http://www.typhoonent.com/mmorts/login.html
    I've been working on the log in system and I don't think that there are really any errors. I know that this is a simple part of the project but I made most of this from scratch. I took the php code that I had and used that for saving but for the swf I made from scratch. I have not done this before but I believe that I will be able to figure things out as they come or if necessary, I can submit the question. I do not think that I will be needing to have anyone do anything except maybe explain if I run into a problem. I still would like some help though. Is there anyone that would be interested on working with me when I do create a basic demo that includes: 1) logging in 2) building a base and armies 3) battling. All this with no glaring errors. Or if you don't want to join me in this undertaking, any thoughts or constructive criticism on this?

Even if you get that far (which is pretty simple) without any errors (which is extremely hard), most of the people here who are qualified enough to help you out are working on something already.
    You know you want to.

I don't really care for someone who has done one of these before, I just want someone to work with. Someone who is discovering along with me is fine.