A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Re: Contrast and Vibrancy from PS to MX 04

Re: Contrast and Vibrancy from PS to MX 04

Hey all,

Been a while since i've posted here but i have run into a problem that maybe someone else has and has found a solution to. I designed a background image in Photoshop CS, that contains mostly purplish tints and gradients, along with various filters (lens flares, glows, etc) and an edited image of a tree which took me quite a while to edit down to usable form.

My problem is this. I have the PS file looking perfect as far as contrast and color go. When i bring the image into Flash via maximum quality JPEGs and PNGs (not through "Save for web..") then imported image in Flash via the "Import to Library" function the images lose their vibrancy and contrast, just appearring dimmer when compared side by side with the Photoshop version. I have tried adjusting contrast within photoshop, but they end up losing their depth of color. As far as i can remeber I have never had this problem before. I don't know if its just the colors I'm using or something else, but if anyone has experienced something like this please let me know, i spent hours and hours trying to correct this without any luck.

On top of that the files i'm importing are flattened. I need to be able to bring them in layered for animation uses, but that's something else to worry about later.

As far as files go i am very cautious who i give them to, so if you absoultely need the files for example send me a PM and i'll try to get back to you ASAP.

Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by jerryCLEMENT; 11-20-2006 at 05:44 AM.

I have the same problem and I don't know how to fix it. Did you get the answer? If so, please post. Thanks in advance.

Have you tried double-clicking the image in the library and setting the compression to lossless?
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

Will check that when i get home, give me a couple hours from this post.

Thanks for the reply too.

PS - I didn't write this before either because i forgot, but before anyone says it my JPEG quality is set to 100 in Flash.

As long as i have been using Flash i never knew about this feature. Although it improved some, it still doesnt match the original in PS.

Rush if you have some free time would you be able to take a look at the 2 files side by side? Maybe you will see something that i don't because this is starting to bug the hell out of me.

I would, but unforutnately I'm still using MX.

Have you tried importing to the main stage rather than directly to the library? It's a bit of a shot in the dark, but it's worth a quick test.
    mrush

Nah, that didn't work either. The best jump seemed to be from changing the image to lossless in Flash, but it still suffers some contrast loss. Gonna play around with it for a little bit tomorrow and see if i can colormatch it using contrasting adjustments.

Rush - I'm on MX 04. Don't know if there is any difference between the two graphically.

The next step will be to get it looking the same when i try to bring it in as layers so i can actually USE them in Flash.

Bah, dupe post.
    Last edited by jerryCLEMENT; 11-21-2006 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Dupe post

You can PM me with the file and I will see what kind of results I get. I just wasn't sure how applicable those results might be.
    mrush

Will do when i get home today.

If you found the answer, please post it. I can't figure it out why the colors don't look the same when I import a jpeg.

importing the pdf file directly maybe?

let us know if you figure it out.

Are you sure you're not working in CMYK colour mode in photoshop? Though the conversion from CMYK to RGB is pretty good, there are still some shades (light green, cyan, magenta) that will look 'dull' when converted from CMYK to RGB.
    hello.