A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what are we called exactly?

I've always liked that moniker. It's a shame that the rest of it is 'Master of None'.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

I think combing above opinions-

Interactive Multimedia Developer

=]

Coming Sooooon!!!
    I hate spam in the [ Cool Sites ] Section.

what about web consultant? I use that sometimes but I still prefer web monkey

Busy doing nothing Boris the Frog's Avatar
    I have spent the past 7 years making CD-roms, websites, DVDs, games etc, etc,
    my actual titles have included Senior Multimedia Designer, Multimedia Authorer (not even a real word!) and currently Interactive Media Developer. I have been introduced to clients as "our all round multimedia person - she'll be making your xxxx", which didn't impress me much. I design and program and I really loved "He who designs and programs stuff" it really sums it up for me.
    On my cv I have started using Multimedia Architect, cos you know, what else are you going to do. I may change it to "She who designs and programs stuff" though and see what happens...you never know......
    --------------------------------------------------
    ‘There is no emoticon to express how I am feeling’ - Comic Book Guy
    There's an effective, simple solution to carbon sequestration... it's called 'coal', so leave it alone!
    There's an effective, simple solution to carbon capture....it's called 'trees', so plant some!

Quote Originally Posted by Boris the Frog
    Multimedia Authorer (not even a real word!)
    Yeah, I think 'Multimedia Author' would be the correct usage of that moniker.

I have to say 'Boris the Frog' seems like a pretty strange name for a girl. Howdya come up with that?
    mrush

The problem with 'Multimedia Author' is that it sounds like you write content - not design and build
    Boris The Frog - that's another story altogether! But you did ask...
    When I was 11 (a long time ago) there were a group of friends with 2 Rebecca's. We both wanted to be called Becky and so we flipped a coin for it. I lost and was going to be 'Becca'. Another friend thought it would be funny if I was called 'Boris' after 'Boris Becker'. (I don't play tennis!)
    Boris stuck and a few years later another friend wrote a strange story involving our group of friends in odd roles (one was a vegetarian, hippy, vampire!). I was an enchanted frog.
    So Boris the Frog came around much like Kermit the Frog and I've been using Boristfrog and Boris the Frog as login names on the internet since '95. Back then it was great fun to freak Americans out in chat rooms by not revealing my gender (lol). Simple pleasures.
    Well you did ask.....
    There's an effective, simple solution to carbon sequestration... it's called 'coal', so leave it alone!
    There's an effective, simple solution to carbon capture....it's called 'trees', so plant some!

I do everything from data structure design through seo - all the sql, serverside scripting, and flash. My current self-made title is "Website Designer/Programmer."

Potential clients have recently been asking if I'm a Flash "guru." Maybe we should get all religious about it. Web God? I've been doing intelligent design since last century.

There's one...Intelligent Design Architect

Boris ~
    Yes I did ask, and I thank you for telling me. An amusing story behind that name, indeed. Certainly better than "Because I have a wart on my nose and exude a slimy residue along with an odor reminiscent of stale potatoes."

and this is just because I feel like messing with you...

Quote Originally Posted by Boris the Frog
    The problem with 'Multimedia Author' is that it sounds like you write content - not design and build
    So you feel that the addition of the 'er' suffiently eliminates any possible confusion that might ensue as a result of your use of the word 'author' and adequately enhances the perception of the term to include the design and programming end of things, then?
    mrush

Ah Rush - I always put Multimedia Developer in my email signature to eliminate any confusion with the whole Authorer thing. I did point it out to my employer and they had to check the dictionary to see if it was a real word. Sigh. They always wrote Multimedia Designer on tender documents, so what can you do eh?
    No slimy residue here, thank you very much - I can see how you're mind would wander that way though....
    Cheers for messin wit me

Hahahaa

I like you.
    mrush

perhaps now... he, or she, who designs and programs stuff...
    context is everything is relative

Web ARCHITECT

Pronunciation:
    \ˈär-kə-ˌtekt\
    Function:
    noun
    Etymology:
    Middle French architecte, from Latin architectus, from Greek architektōn master builder, from archi- + tektōn builder, carpenter — more at technical
    Date:

1 : a person who designs buildings and advises in their construction
    2 : a person who designs and guides a plan or undertaking <the architect of American foreign policy>

I stick to Flash and / or Web Developer Depends on what I want to stress ... Recently I meet "New Media Developers" in the ads of agencies .. guess Flash and / or Web Developers are included in that definition
    while (2+2 == 4) {
    drink ("bourbon");
    }
    gotoAndStop("bed");

participant
    yeah, I agree w/ RUSH - Jack-of-all-trades titles can be seen, by someone that isn't familiar with your handy work, as someone that's willing to do anything, but not necessarily able. If your goal is to get a job, and you need one title for all possiblities, I think you should go with the 'fuzzier,' less-predefined titles like 'multimedia architect,' 'interactive developer,' etc. These can be explained to be whatever you want to emphasize.