A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what are we called exactly?

what are we called exactly?

i do everything for the web; database design and integration, asp, javascript, graphic design, communication design, copywriting, seo... what exactly do you call a person like this? certainly not a web designer, because that doesn't seem to take into account the backend stuff. not a webmaster, even though this is what my business card says, it just seems so... archaic. even communication designer doesn't seem to take into account the backend stuff.

any ideas?
    context is everything is relative

If I were to put it on a corporate resume I would say "web developer". Webmaster is not very mainstream and may even seem arrogant to non-techies. Web designer implies you can only make web sites look good. Web developer seems like a good balance.

Here's a few that come to mind...
    • Graphic God
    • Design Diety
    • The Almighty One
    • The Webbiest of the Web People
    • He Who Designs & Programs Stuff
    • The MAN
    • Wunderkind
    • StormChaser89

Or you could just go with Web Developer like Gamebrew said...
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

yeah, web developer also seemed to imply more back-end stuff though....i am pretty fond of "He Who Designs & Programs Stuff".

How about:

Monstermash
    i do everything for the web; database design and integration, asp, javascript, graphic design, communication design, copywriting, seo
    Web Design, Inc.

i was hoping to be a bit more succinct.

Interactive Designer
    I dont do alot of backend coding, however i do have the ability to produce, rich applications for the web, like most of us flash developers, we dont want to be labeled as 'web designers', 'web developers', 'web masters', all of wich seem to be, well either under-selling, or over selling, depending on your capabilities. Since my knowledge of php, apache, .net, java, etc is limited to what i only use it for in flash, i dont consider myself a 'developer'.

In my resume, and my 'profiles' it states that I am a Interactive Designer. This generally poses a question to 'what the hell is that?' in wich you can go ahead and explain to whom your audience, how kick ass you are at making whatever it is you make in flash, or rich media.

I try to stay away from the word developer, because they tend to ask more of me - set up there network, mySql, build there ecommerce site.. all that crap that i really dont want to do.

Anyway, just my two cents.

-Mike

Interactive Designer
    Oh yeah, i thought it was somewhat relevant morsel. When my brother was 17, applying for his first 'real job' outside of deli's and gas stations, under his gass'ing experience, he put 'Petrolium Distrobution Engineer'.

good points. thank you.

www.p2pflex.com - web *****
    "He Who Designs & Programs Stuff" just came across you guys by accident tonight!! Definately got a good laugh out of this.... sounds legendary of lore and should be reviered by the gods of all webwerx!

Interactive Designer
    ^your site destroyed my browser.

www.p2pflex.com - web *****
    what browser are you running and version?

Official FK nice guy and MOD 3PRIMATES's Avatar
    Multimedia developer

he who designs and programs stuff says "still not there yet..."

No I can't do it by tommorow.. 1stbite's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3PRIMATES
    Multimedia developer
    ditto
    and in a blink of an eye...
    Media and Multimedia Courses in Nottingham - First Diploma | IMedia | HND | Foundation Degrees | BA(Hons) Top Ups.

Give a Twit a chance!

OOP is one letter from OOPS kortex's Avatar
    Web Architect? (though I have to agree Web Developer is the one that seems to com closest)
    Jeremy Wischusen
    Flash - Flex - LAMP - Web Developer Purple Inc
    AS OOP FAQ-Best Practices Thread | Flashkit OOP Tutorials | Purple Inc (day job) | Blog

Why not just name and company name? I don't value titles so much, fairly meaningless imho.
    Michezo Youth Initiative - donate | Into Kenya | Naked Chronicles | Mark Bingham - my friend, America's hero

To help new members fit into Flashkit, three rules they forgot to tell you on signup: Rule #1: Learn Group Think, and behave accordingly | Rule #2: Do as certain Mods say, not as they do. | Rule #3: If you're from outside the US, don't at any time criticise, allude or hyperlink to criticism of the US or any of their laws, policies or practices. | Enjoy your time at Flashkit!

tell me, is this sellable..... OddDog's Avatar
    Multimedia developer

I also spent some time trying to figure out a good title for someone who does design, animation, AS, php, html, javascript, MySql, AJAX, etc. A title that seems to be working really well for me that I came up with is "Designer/Programmer Hybrid". It's not exactly perfect, but people seem to get the message that you do both design and functionality just from the title itself. I also got a thumbs up from many different head-hunters who have represented me in the past. They really like it, and some actually mentioned that they were trying to come up with a "buzzword" that would instantly describe people like us. I've seen the term used on other people's resume's so it might be that it's catching on.

jack of all trades