A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bowling Game

[QUOTE=my_6th_sense]I found some bug in the game...
    After throwing 5 strikes, the pins do not appear anymore
    I can trow as mich as I want, but the pins do not show up anymore and the scoreboard is stuck on 5...

greetings

I have seen this happen a couple of times. Not exactly what happens and it isnt limited to any number of strikes thrown. It appears to me that for some reason some of the actions in some scripts just fail to execute a times. I have tried to make this happen to pin down an exact event that might trigger it but I cant. I have however found that if the swf is run directly it hasnt happened, but that's not to say it wont. Any suggestions on what might cause this?
    Last edited by creekmonkey; 12-28-2006 at 02:28 PM.

Seems a function im calling to re-set the pins fail to work at times. The function is pretty basic

function pinset(){
    pin1.x=100;
    pin1.y=100;
    pin1.velocity.y=0;
    pin1.velocity.x=0
    and so on;
    }

the function is called after the score is added for that frame as:
    if(bc==1 && score<=9){
    sc1=score;
    element("ballset").pinset();
    }

For whatever reason which I havnt figured out yet the script either isnt getting called or is failing to execute. I have been told that with several scripts, functions and if statements in my movie that flash may tend to get lost or fail to execute a function or if statement and that i should increase the number of times a script runs per second. That doesnt work.

Hmmm so it just randomly stops? Well at bowling alleys they have "re-set" buttons for that kind of problem =p.

It sucks throwing 8 strikes and then the pins do not show up anymore

Quote Originally Posted by sadako232
    Hmmm so it just randomly stops? Well at bowling alleys they have "re-set" buttons for that kind of problem =p.
    The reset button is something I should be thinking about. One thing I have discovered the faster you bowl the more it happens. Giving the game a little time between balls seems to help, so maybe that is another possible solution I need to look at.

I just played the game a total of 20 times in the stand alone flash player with no problems at all. Pins re-set every time. It appears that it only happens when played in a browser. Any of u guru's have any ides why this happens?

Hmm...While it was'nt re-setting was that in IE or Firefox? Or both?

I imagine it's a timing issue. Also would depend on the version of the player...

I have changed a couple parameters which may have solved the problem. Before a bowler could click the ball as soon as the aiming arrow were at a desired location and score stikes consistantly. Now the bowler will have to think a little before rolling the ball which slightly slows the game down. Not in game speed but in player speed which in my test MAY have resolved the problem. The drawback is : its not as easy bowl a 300 game.

Well good luck on finding the problem as for not as easy...That's a good thing whats the point of the high scores if everyone bowls a 300 and you have no chance of getting on it.

-sada-
    Last edited by sadako232; 01-01-2007 at 02:38 PM.

I agree sadako......since the change no one has complained about the pins not re-setting...so hopefully the problem is fixed

Lets hope so.

A Senior Newbie - How Odd ForumNewbie's Avatar
    Hmm. Can't seem to get 300 any more !

I'll have to relearn the tricks

Still a great game

M.
    Please note that my domain has changed to http://www.morganmultinational.com

I dont think anyone has scored a 300 since the update. I think I need to clear the highscore list and see who bowl the higest score now.

I dont think anyone has scored a 300 since the update. I think I need to clear the highscore list and see who bowl the highest score now.

Sorry about posting 2 times.
    Cleared the highscore list. Now everyone can start fresh!

lol i could get over 300 whats the highest score you can get and ill get it.

maybe not its harder than it looks