A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: UK Tax: can domain names be claimed as Capital expenses?

Harry Tuttle phantomflanflinger's Avatar

UK Tax: can domain names be claimed as Capital expenses?

I'm just getting my books ready for filing online this week.

Could I get away with claiming the domain names I use as capital items? Or should they be listed under office expenses? I've been advised both ways on this.

Anyone here do it? Non-Brits need not post!
    We're all in it together

The Minister of No Crap

Non-Brit here. We file ours under "office expense". I'll bet anything that this would be appropriate for the UK.

Hello Scott, thanks for replying. I didn't file my domain names under capital items because capital items have to be physical equipment (e.g. PCs) unless you want to risk an argument with HMRC. In the IT sector, we get 40% back from capital items in the first year and 25% in the second.

Re. http://digitalsurvivors.com/archives...renchfleet.php - Serve them right. And some chicken, some neck.

I wish more Americans knew about this: http://www.winstonchurchill.org/i4a/...cfm?pageid=221

"On the evening of 7 December Churchill was at Chequers with Averell Harriman and American Ambassador Winant when the radio announced "something about the Japanese attacking the Americans." According to Winant, Churchill jumped to his feet, announcing "we shall declare war on Japan." Winant replied: "Good God, you can’t declare war on a radio announcement." Churchill immediately telephoned Roosevelt and assured him that Britain’s declaration of war would follow close behind that of the United States."
    We're all in it together

would have to be expenses.

As its a 'virtual' item, you can't really physically ever own it.

how are we phantom ?

Quote Originally Posted by RazoRmedia
    would have to be expenses.
    As its a 'virtual' item, you can't really physically ever own it.
    how are we phantom ?
    Well, I like your site Bruce, Too Cold, Too Hot, but I don't feel we're really connected as people. This is my fault for being so secretive about who I am though. I always find it difficult to take emotional risks, which probably stems from my childhood.

I used to spend more time on these boards but I've got more to do these days and posting about non-Flash topics isn't much fun here - you have to behave. I think Flash 9 looks like being a non-event too.

Best wishes, Rob.
    We're all in it together