A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Alternative to getURL

Alternative to getURL

Does anyone know if there is an alternative to using getURL to call a url? I've got a flash object that's using getURL, and it's breaking another flash video object on another page.

Thanks!
    madweed

"Everyday, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just...let it happen." Special Agent Dale Cooper, FBI

OOP is one letter from OOPS kortex's Avatar
    Breaking in what sense?
    Jeremy Wischusen
    Flash - Flex - LAMP - Web Developer Purple Inc
    AS OOP FAQ-Best Practices Thread | Flashkit OOP Tutorials | Purple Inc (day job) | Blog

I've got flash video players that won't operate properly. Here is a verbatim message from one of my collegues:

"Every page I've seen run in the new site has broken our video player. The problem is that the floating dialog is itself done in Flash, and tries to call getUrl() whenever the user interacts with it, whether to close it or go to another page. It's well-known among Flash developers that calling getUrl() kills Flash video."

Any thoughts on this?
    madweed

"Everyday, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just...let it happen." Special Agent Dale Cooper, FBI

I've just realized that using an fscommand action in place of getURL will accomplish the same thing. (calling a new window in a javascript). I'm just wondering if you've ever heard of getURL actions breaking flash video controls or stopping streaming video? Thanks!
    madweed