A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: convert AVI, MPG, MOV -> swf

Lightbulb

Hi all,

I've created an application that will convert video files into flash. Check it out in:
    http://www.geocities.com/vid2swf

Please tell me what you think of it.

Xn

hi xn

that sounds like something very helpful!
    I downloaded the zip from your hp but it did not work. i got a message that it was missing 'msvcrtd.dll', whatever that is. Maybe you could put the dll up as well?

sunday

Fixed version

I've uploaded a fixed version in place of the old one. Just go to the site and get it.

The site is:

http://www.geocities.com/vid2swf

Xn

it works

hi xn

now it works great, thanks. I wonder how it will work with adjustable frame rate. What is the rate in this version?

Please drop me a line as soon as you have finished the next test version ( info@bytesbones.ch ).

Hope i'm not the only one interested in your prog...

sunday

I'll keep you posted...

Xn

This is pretty neat. Could you please add some documentation (help file maybe) with the download?

Sorry, I forgot, the default frame rate right now is 8 fps.

This is in order to keep mpg files somewhere around the same size.

Xn

3XN,...

You could be on to something HUGE with this program!!! keep up the awesome work!!!! And keep us posted here!! Or e-mail with updates if you would be so kind!!! TDolce@aol.com

Thanks!!

Thank you

TPhilipDolce,

Thanks for your kind words...
    I'll do exactly that. I don't have too much time to work on it but I posted a beta version to see how many people would be interested in this sort of application. Do you really think that this could be a big thing?

Thanks again,

Xn

xn (or is it ...Xn?)

I don't know how the other ones slice their movies but i'm sure it would spend me a lot of wurk, especially if you could drag & drop multipe files, or convert all video files in a folder.

tpPhilipD i'm not sure if it is as huge as word, but who knows? If i would find it in a sw archive i would spend my pocket money in the license. (Well, a part of it.)

Go on xn, i'm looking forward to test that ui!

sunday

Sunday,...

Lo' and behold,...I spoke too soon. I can't get the darn thing to work!!! I unzipped it,..selected the .exe file and for a half of a millisecond I see a black screen as if it is trying to open and waalahh,..nuthin!!! Well if that aint a slap on my left rear cheek,.then I don't know what is! Shoot,..I was so hopeful too! It's about as useful to me now as hen shi#! on a pumphandle. (smiling) Anyway,...I'll wait until the next update and hopefully that will remedy the situation.

Todd

Hey, Its a command Line program- That's why there needs to be a help file. The screen shot does not make it look like it is a command line program but rather a regular windows app.

Okay, how do you control the file size with this utility. I used it and it converted a 976K avi into a 3.14Meg SWF. Is there a way to make smaller files with this?

hey todd, did you check your c:\windows for a file called sample.swf after you saw that funny black screen?

Johnnie, i tried a mpg with 589k and it went down to 273k! Could be a matter of the vid compression (or codec or whatever)?

... *

I think the prog is more alpha than beta, but it looks very promising, so i'll wait til we can get the next vs.

sunday

*(coffee break)

I'll try a MPG instead of an avi- it could be that it just makes big SWF's from AVIs.

Okay it shrunk a 77K MPG to 37K with no degeradation in quality.

Pretty nifty.

sunday,

No,..I never saw a sample.swf file Man, this is very misleading,..I agree with "J",..I did not know it was a command line program. Why have the visible executable file if I can't click on it to open it? It may be a great little program (I'm sure it is),..but I just can't use it.

TD

What threw me at first was the screenshot. The screenshot makes it look like it is a regular windows program where as the instructions say it is a command line program- very confusing. Once I figured it out I was happy though- again better documentation would fix this.

Is the screenshot a newer version?

Red face Sorry for your problems

Thanks for your interest,

The screenshot is of the version I'm working on now.
    It will be ready in a couple of days.
    I've put this version on-line to get first reactions about the need of such an application.

Thanks again,

Xn

Re: Sorry for your problems

Yo Xn's,
    dont kill the command line option tho..
    it'd be really cool to have if you want to automate the process, like say, from a PHP script..
    I was thinking of doing this exact app..
    thanks for saving me the time!
    blessings,
    toby
    http://www.swfvr.com

Originally posted by xnxnxn
    Thanks for your interest,

The screenshot is of the version I'm working on now.
    It will be ready in a couple of days.
    I've put this version on-line to get first reactions about the need of such an application.

Thanks again,

Xn