A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash activation interferring with Java popup?

Rock Your Face Off.

Question Flash activation interferring with Java popup?

Hi everyone, I'm currently working on my new portfolio website and as such have included the following Flash activation code in the page (to stop that 'click to activate' nonsense):

<script type="text/javascript">
    var fo = new FlashObject("portfolio.swf", "animationName", "700", "385", "8", "#FFFFFF");
    fo.addParam("allowScriptAccess", "sameDomain");
    fo.addParam("quality", "high");
    fo.addParam("scale", "noscale");
    fo.addParam("loop", "false");
    fo.write("flashcontent");
    </script>

In my flash movie I am trying to include a gallery that can lauch pop-up windows via javascript. In my ¬Digital>Gallery¬ section if you click the elearning button in Firefox it launches a pop-up window as intended using the following code in the movie (and no further code in the html page):

on (release) {
    getURL("javascript:NewWindow=window.open('elearnin g.html','Sony elearning','width=400,height=300,left=0,top=0,tool bar=No,location=No,scrollbars=No,status=No,resizab le=No,fullscreen=No'); NewWindow.focus(); void(0);");
    }

however this does not function in IE (am using the latest one), it simply creates an error (as indicated by a "!" sign in the bottom corner of the browser)

can anyone suggest a better way of achieving these 2 things in the page (avoiding click to activate, and launching pop-ups), or have I just missed something reeeeally small here?

cheers very much

btw my page is here: www.robothousegames.com/johnevelyn

I don't see anything obvious, I don't think it has anything to do with the FlashObject. What is the error it creates? You can double click the '!' to see it. There's a gap in the word 'resizeable' but I'm not sure if that's in your original code.

Also, you should upgrade to SWFobject, which is the same as FlashObject, he was forced to change the name by MM

http://blog.deconcept.com/swfobject/
    Last edited by aversion; 12-11-2006 at 02:29 PM.

Rock Your Face Off.
    Hi aversion, I fixed up my page with the new SWFobject, thanks for that. The pop-up generates the following rather bizarre message in IE:

Line: 1
    Char: 1
    Error: Invalid argument
    Code: ()
    URL:http://www.robothousegames.com/johnevelyn

Well, 'resizab le' might be causing that error if it is really spelt like that in your code. Some browsers would ignore it but IE might get stuck on a misspelt argument.

Internet explorer won't allow you to use a space (or a -) in the window name. At the moment you're using 'Sony elearning'. If you change this to something like 'Sony_elearning' it should be ok.

Rock Your Face Off.
    Cheers catbert, being dying to try out your advice all morning but my friggin servers been down! just tested it and you were spot on...

thanks again

thanks to you too aversion