A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: swift 3d ideal for making movies?

swift 3d ideal for making movies?

Is swift 3d a good program to make whole movies like you make flash movies, or is it just a program that is only used to make models?
    I used 3d canvas for a while. 3D canvas has like a large board where i can put multiple models in it and make it animate, almost like flash. Then i wanted to try out swift 3d but i can't find a way to make movies using it. the screen is too small.
    Last edited by yellowbus1; 12-17-2006 at 08:20 PM.

It's not so much something that you use to make movies as it is something that you use to make things to put in movies. Follow that?

You can make models, you can animate them, and you can produce movies of those animated objects. Swift3D doesn't have any kind of scripting capabilities however, so you can't add any interaction. All that is accomplished in Flash or something similar. Is that what you are talking about?
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

yeah, so when i want to make animations, i should model it in swift 3d and then import it to flash?
    I heard of other 3d programs, like maya, cinema 4d, poser 6, and design cad. are they all like swift 3d (only for modeling 3d figures)?

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbus1
    yeah, so when i want to make animations, i should model it in swift 3d and then import it to flash?
    Exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowbus1
    I heard of other 3d programs, like maya, cinema 4d, poser 6, and design cad. are they all like swift 3d (only for modeling 3d figures)?
    Well first of all, Swift3D is for creating and animating 3D models. You just can't make a full-blown interactive presentation with it. As for the others, they all do slightly different things, though they all have to do with 3D. Maya and Cinema4d are probably the most similar, with Poser being more of a character animation suite. I used Autocad in school over ten years ago, but not much since so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Maya and Cinema4d though, are pretty similar to Swift3D I suppose, in that while they are far more fully-featured than Swift3D, you still don't use any of them for final production. You could make a giant animated robot destroying a city for a motion picture for instance, but you would use a different program to place that robot into the film. Do you see the difference?

I take it you've got Flash, right? So you would use whatever program you were most comfortable with to create and animate your 3D model. This might be as simple as a cube rotating and bouncing up and down or it might be an animated scene with complex interaction between 3D characters. (and by interaction I mean that they might be moving around in close proximity to each other, gesturing or whatever) You would then render out this animation and import it into Flash, where you would add the scripting for a preloader if it needs it, any frame actions like having it stop on the first frame, perhaps a play button to get it going again, etc. This is also where you would add any voices or that kind of thing.

So whether you create the animation in Maya, Cinema4d or Swift3D...the process will be the same. The only difference is in the tools, interface and functions for the most part. That make sense?
    mrush

yeah, i see. thanks alot

No problem. Good luck
    mrush