A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good graphics - low file size and FREE

Good graphics - low file size and FREE

I love creating game graphics, but I got tired of chasing the work, and the money through all the forums, so I've not flashed for a while.
    But...I feel the need... the need to flash. I'm looking do to the graphics for a game I can really get my teeth stuck into.
    If there's a coder out there who has a really kick arse game, but the graphics need a lift - I'm your man. I'm a bit of a vector wiz. I pride myself on good graphics of extremely low file size. If you're happy to give me part ownership or credits or something I'm happy to supply graphics to the right game.

Here's a few examples of my work.
    -----
    http://www.expertanimators.com/cosmi...homepage2.html
    http://www.expertanimators.com/cosmi...ce_vector.html
    http://www.expertanimators.com/image...ion/Germy.html
    http://www.expertanimators.com/image...skatesite.html
    http://www.expertanimators.com/cosmicjack/ships.html

I'm based in Melbourne Australia - just to let you know the time difference.
    Thanks,
    EA.

PS - Mods - I wasn't sure if this needed to go in Freelance or Games, but I went for this one - feel free to move it if you so see fit.

Last edited by mr_malee; 12-19-2006 at 02:25 AM.
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

For free?
    This is pretty much like the kids who make games to clients for free,only for 'experience' just that now is about art,not code, isnt it?
    Thank you for put down the value of my work.

Student
    maybe we should put up a list with vulenteers for either art or code as this seems to happen recently.
    Personally I dont like the graphics but others certainly will. Maybe there is someone who wants your art and really appricates it.

Just some view from me:
    - dont like gradients in vektors in general (soft surface gradients, hard edge cuts = just wrong). There are some nice samples where people used gradients in a nice way but usually with colors that dont go that much apart from each other

yes Id agree......

not much art there in those vectors, but hey maybie you can do me a vector dancer for this pole?

http://truimagz.com/Flash%20site/art-comp/Stage.html

Your art will always be free. I don't know who would pay for it. I'm no great artist but I do have an eye for good design. Your art is grade D. After I finish my latest game I want to work on a game call 'stolen' were I copy and paste code from tutorials and examples to make a new game. I also need free art to make the game. If i used your art my game would just start having MASSIVE errors in the code and my cpu would burn out. I'm just kidding I do think you should try harder to make better art.
    CEO OF

Student
    @ mr zervell:
    it might be in your eyes that his art doesn´t meet your expectations but let me tell you that your jokes dont meet the mine- stop that please

@ ExpertAnimators:
    please don´t feel offended some people tend to bash lately. I do really respect your step ! Like I said lately some people already searched for some artists or coders am sure someone would like to coop with you making some interesting flash stuff.
    Btw. have you expierence with pixel or photoshop alike stuff as well- because that kind of things are really wanted here by some people.

Quote Originally Posted by zervell
    Your art will always be free. I don't know who would pay for it. I'm no great artist but I do have an eye for good design. Your art is grade D. After I finish my latest game I want to work on a game call 'stolen' were I copy and paste code from tutorials and examples to make a new game. I also need free art to make the game. If i used your art my game would just start having MASSIVE errors in the code and my cpu would burn out. I'm just kidding I do think you should try harder to make better art.
    Yeah, I think thats crossing the line, just a little bit.
    What happened to FK being one big friendly community?
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

sorry when I was reading it in my head it sounded funny. I'm really sorry if i did offend anyone. I never call any art work of mine good, great, or fantastic. You have to let people proclaim the value of your art. I would look at this thread differently if it just said free graphics. I will not lie to the kid and call bad different. If people on newgrounds didn't call my stuff bad I would of stayed the same. Criticism a part of growing, it something we all need to become better.
    CEO OF

2KHeroes / Sylvaniah designer luxregina's Avatar
    There is a difference between constructive - friendly criticism, and not-so-friendly bashing, though ... I mean, what can be funny for you, could be very poorly perceived by someone else - that's why I try ( hard ) to NEVER be funny !

----------------

This said, yes, the art showcased in this thread could be improved, but, it will likely if the artist has the opportunity to work with other people : that's by working hard that you get better, and he is offering to work hard : this is a very promising thing

on the upside : nice attention to details, and I like that you tried to include animations in most of your static portraits ...

On the downside : drawing / outlines could be perfected, more anatomicly correct - I would avoid the "gradient feel" and actually go all bitmap, which is better anyway for games, processor wize : be aware that with more and more people having high-bandwith connections, the "low filesize" argument starts to get older - also, if you play a game on the internet, you should expect more to download than when you want to access information or browse a website ...

Hope this helps

as you can see gradient can be used to make a good effect. I think I need a lot of work on my art but I think ExpertAnimators you can just look at real life to get ideas. I like that you want people to us your art. Your art needs to have a diffrent feel because a lot a flash noobies use the gradient effect the wrong way and forget how to light an object or never learned . I was mean and my criticism was nonconstructive. This site gives you lessons on how to draw characters. You may not want to darw anima characters but you can use these tutorial as a guide on how to proportion a human body.
    http://www.howtodrawmanga.com/tutorial.html
    also http://www.leconcombre.com/board/fla...squinzeus.html
    has step by step instructions to make some good animation. so dose this link http://www.kirupa.com/developer/mx/cartoon.htm
    CEO OF

the one on the right is really well done but the left one looks very bad with the gradients.
    My rules are:
    Never make a gradient fade into black.
    Never make a gradient fade from a colour (not including shades) into white
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

Expert, to be honest, I don't think your graphics meet the expectations of most people here on the game section. Even though your a good artist (may I ask how old you are?) and have some potential, these current graphics just wont attract anyone.

I thought those spaceship graphics (last link) were the best of them, even though still a bit too static and too many gradients. Maybe if you'd work those out and create some surroundings, and post that, you'll be taken more serious.

Don't take this critisism the wrong way though, you realy have potential. It just takes time and practice to be accepted as a decent artist.

Zervell, how can you bash someone like that and then come up with such rubbish as a sample?
    Last edited by SaphuA; 12-20-2006 at 12:32 PM.

zervell, read over your comments if you're afraid it may offend someone, also, as a tip, sarcasm isnt always apparant when used over the internet

criticism isn't always necessary to grow, you should always treat your product as if it could be better, because that's really all it can be. because of this rule, i now have a damn good looking bumper

nice vector graphics there mr malee, they're almost too good to be true

http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by trogdor458
    nice vector graphics there mr malee, they're almost too good to be true
    i believe there are a few people out there that use vectors to realistically re-create scenes. The level of complexity that these people go to results in the viewer not knowing that the image is made up of Vectors

http://basangpanaginip.blogspot.com/...ector-art.html

some are better than others
    Last edited by mr_malee; 12-20-2006 at 07:10 PM.

Well i like his vector art i couldnt do it =( well i havent learned any yet i just use gifs and jpgs.

This thread is mixing art / vector art and game art into one blurry mass... The photorealistic samples mr. malee pointed out won't make sense in most games - as there are either filesize or monetary restrictions. A lot of those pictures were done for the art sake to show that it can be done or for a specific mainly print purpose.
    Vectorkid's art as well is difficult if you try and use it in game design but his tutorials and techniques defininetly help.

Zervel - there is no shame in doing art for free... I started out pretty much the same way years ago... I had to beg do do the artwork for some of the most popular flash games... and these days I make a living doing game art...

I agree with Lux - the style and quality of the art displayed can and will improve. If you do it often enough you will improve - works in art as well as in sports or any other area.

My suggestions would be to have a look at some of the pro games, screenshots, art communities like cg talk or conceptart and look and learn. If you work on something realistic - grab a photo off google images and use references.
    Look at the manga link and maybe some art references on human heads and faces to get the proprtions right - or if you try and get "your own style" think consistency.

Check you art once it's done... those yucky white AA leftovers on the skater skull shouldn't happen...

If you are driven and determined you will most likely improve. Good luck!
    Last edited by DayDream; 12-21-2006 at 12:11 AM.

I think he has what it takes and just needs to go the extra mile. Granted the pics could do with some improvement.

probably better served to get away from trying to create realistic styled images with vector art for games. Keep vector characters simple. I would like to see some examples of simple character animation.

By the way I am due to be creating some multiplayer games for my company so would be very interested in any offers for free artwork. pm me and we can talk further.

i think we've scared him away