A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 'cutting out' the actor...

'cutting out' the actor...

Hi,

I have been asked to do a flash movie with video (new to me). I found a great deal of info but am stuck on this. The movie is a presentation but ideally only the actor should be used in the flash movie, no video backgrounds. I found something like an example, http://www.wildwestpoker.com/, although I am not entirely sure if they just used a white background for the video or that they indeed 'cut out' the actor. Does anyone has some tips on how to achieve this effect?

Thanks,
    Raoul

Depends on what version of the player you're exporting to and what kind of background you want to show the person over.

Generally the most robust solution is to use Flash 8 video with an alpha channel. To get an alpha channel, you do what they do in the movies -- shoot the actor in front of a blue or green screen, then use video editing software to remove that background. If your video software supports it, you can export that file directly to .flv, or save it in a video format that supports alpha channel and use a Flash video encoder to convert it to .flv.