A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: ..::University project feedback (website)::..

..::University project feedback (website)::..

Hey there, I'm along time visitor of Flashkit, first time poster

Basically I'm in dire need of some feedback for a website I have to make for a 2nd year project. The project is called "Designing for the User" which is what its called, a part of the brief is to gather as much user feedback from as many age groups as poss and record it all in a HUGE design doc which I'm working on right now.

The website is going to be a spoof news site set in the computer games world, basically a parody of articles you might find in OK! magazine or headlines from a newspaper. sort of like theonion.com but about games characters.

Example headline: "Princess peach dies of hepititus!" (although I may not be able to use that one )

Levelup-News.com (click start to begin)

I have created a small survey for people who have tried the site to fill out. If you have time, please fill it out, its very short and should only take afew moments (it would really help out!)

Designing for the User Survey.
    (survey 1 of 2) 2nd survey will be carried out on completion of the website.

Please note that the website is far from finished, I will be carrying out another survey once its done. Only the "Features" section of the website is working right now, and there isnt actually any content.

Just to let you know, I'm not actually a web designer. I'm studying Games Design, but a part of the course is to understand all forms of web based media.

Thanks for taking the time to check it out!

**Comments welcome!**

What kind of restrictions do you have for this project? Does it have to be in flash?

To be honest.. I think the best approach would be to make the site as convincing as possible, so it takes people a few seconds to see that the content is completely made up. To do this the best format would probably be a content rich html site (take a look at some other news sites like the bcc, cnn and the onion).

I'm not sure you really need a start button. Just load the site right away.

Overall it's quite a nice idea though. You might be better off asking for advice in some other forums, sitepoint, actionscript.org, and the billybussey.com forums are pretty good. Flashkit seems rather dead nowadays.

Which uni are you at?

- Jim.
    Last edited by jimboready; 01-01-2007 at 10:57 AM.

Hey, thanks for your feedback!

yeah the site does have to be in full flash, if i could use HTML i would.
    Agree with you about making it convincing, I'm going to try and make the content to look like the headlines and features from the OK! magazine site. you'll see that more when I post a version with some actual content on here.

About the start button, that isnt actually going to be there in the final version, I had to make a presentation of this not so long ago and it was just away of starting the site after i had explained about it.

Thanks for telling me about the other sites, I'll sign up on them right away!

I'm at the university of lincoln (Hull campus). its in the middle of a change over at the moment so it'll soon be apart of a college *GRRRR* but the degree will still be from lincoln uni.

thanks again!

thats not bad, the only thing i didnt like it is that the text is a bit blurry, try playing with different textbox types, antialiasing and embeding fonts

cool, I will. I wasn't aware of any blurring but i'll have a tweak and see what I can do, thanks for letting me know!

p.s. actually could you tell me what text your getting the blurring with? is it the Logo or the general text?