A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: $400 camera?

Quote Originally Posted by lefteyewilly
    i'm used to the sony cybershot...althought i'm pretty dissapointed in the one we use here at work. It has horrible image stabilization. If you're in a well lit room with people moving around, you can't get one good unblurry shot. It sucks for when you just need to do point and shoots.
    really?! i'm quite suprised- i've always been really impressed with mine. having said that, it is my first digital camera and hte only one i've had much experience with. but comparing my results with those of others, i've liked the results.

Nikonist
    Don't be astonished carly!
    Men are childish in the field of new and best technology...we just need it though we sometimes not even know how to use it properly...this is the way it is and if you don't feel the need to upgrade just carry on with taking great cybershot photos
    !!Click on your own risk!!

Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again!

www.ajs-design.de

haha, i'd love to upgrade! like to get my hands on a meaty SLR, but to be totally honest i'm not sure i'd know how to use it!! i rarely use the manual mode of my current camera

Nikonist
    Go for D50 or D70 S then...anyone around who wants to sell her?

Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again!

www.ajs-design.de

hehe

so, yeah, anyone?

Alty and Frex, Why are you upgrading to such an expensive camera body? I will have to go take another look but from what I remember the D200 Vs. D80 there was only a very small list of "professional" features that was different between the two. Have either of you looked into the 80?

Just went over to B&H and did a comparison chart and this is what I found

D80 accepts F-mount lenses - D200 accepts F-mount & D-AF, DX, VR, G Nikkor lense mounts. Not sure what all those mounts are but I am guessing the F-mount is the main lense type?

D80 does iso 100-1600(can be pushed to 3200) - D200 100-1600 only

D80 1/4000th shutter - D200 1/8000th shutter

D80 1/200th built in flash sync - D200 1/250th

D80 takes SD cards - D200 compact flash

D80 3 fps up to 100 - D200 5fps

D80 $929 - D200 $1339

Those are the ONLY differences that B&H listed. Anything I missed that might be some magic in the D200 that is worth the $400 difference?
    Last edited by WannaBe_80z; 01-03-2007 at 12:03 PM.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

The D200 is a all metal body. I am going to be doing missionary photography all over Africa/South America over winter break and then the following summer, so I am going to need a more solidly built camera. I do believe it also has some sealing to keep the 'elements' out. Not to mention the fact that I will feel cooler saying I own a D200.

I think there is some confusion on the lens mount. I'm pretty sure the d80 will take all of the same lenses that the d200 does. D-AF, DX, VR, and G lenses are all f-mount lenses i believe. The only one im not sure about is D-AF, but im pretty sure that is just a D lens with auto focus. D meaning that the lens can tell the body the distance to what it is focused on, helping it out with flash metering. VR is just the vibration reduction and a d80 can do that, DX is the smaller digital format, and the d80 can do that, a G lens is one without an aperture ring on it, meaning the aperture must be set through the body, and the d80 should be able to do that too.
    Last edited by MiLo_Anderson; 01-03-2007 at 02:45 PM.
    "A piece of toast always lands butter side down, and a cat always lands of its feet. If one was to tie a piece of toast to the back of a cat butter side up, would it hover above the ground in perpetual indecision?"

Nikonist
    Good hint WannaBe and Thank you for pointing on this.
    I never really had the D80 in focus...will take a closer look now!
    I do want the 10.2 mpix and Iso 100!
    Just started to read comparison tests and I must say...I need more informations now!
    Thanks again!

www.ajs-design.de

Not a problem Frex glad I could help.

Good points Alty. Why do you think I have the 20D over the Rebel XT (the Rebel is so small in size as well. The 20D with the vertical grip is delicious)
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBe_80z
    The 20D with the vertical grip is delicious)
    Yeh, but can it take 12 AAs? And more importantly... could you kill me with it?
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

Nikonist
    D200 vs D80:

The D80 uses "compressed NEF" as its Raw format while the D200 offers both "compressed" and "uncompressed" variants. Compressed NEF is a lossy format: you lose some tonal resolution in the highlights.

The D80 is using SD cards, if you have a D70 or D50 your bank of Compact Flash cards becomes redundant.

The D80 has a max shutter speed of 1/4000 (the D200 goes down to 1/8000)!

The D80 has no mirror lock-up like the D200.

D200 rated at 150,000 shutter cycles - so it can be actually less expensive than D80, in a long run.

Weather proof D200 lens mount and entire camera - possibly less chance for dirt on sensor?

www.ajs-design.de

Quote Originally Posted by robbmcaulay
    sorry...

[edit] Actually... if you don't mind used equipment (which I certainly don't) get yersel a 300d with stock lens for $399... you may have to pay another $20 for a CF card but it's worth it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
    Robb, thanks for the heads up on that! I bought it last night...i can't wait.

Wow, what great timing. Looks like you got the last one.

it was a used Canon 300D for anyone wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by robbmcaulay
    Yeh, but can it take 12 AAs? And more importantly... could you kill me with it?
    Actually if I wanted I could use the AA cartridge and use 6 AA instead of the 2 normal rechargeables. I think if I swung hard enough it could kill you too

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    it was a used Canon 300D for anyone wondering.
    Nice find. You should be very happy with it...

Robb, thanks for the heads up on that! I bought it last night...i can't wait.
    Nae bother lefty

I don't know if I should post this...but

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...yUsed&Q=371188

don't be pissed....

No lens