A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: memory issue...

memory issue...

I'm using 3DFA to make full flash websites, but when having lots of contents the program begins working slower and slower...
    I recently bought a new computer hoping this would solve the problem but it doesn't...
    (Core 2 duo 1,86Ghz - 1GB DDR2 667Mhz - ...)

Anyone who knows a solution??

Greetings

Do you mean it works slower in editing/program or just when you preview your work?
    Preview is a lot slower than real Flash player and Flash itself is not really superfast platform. Lot of animation, big elements and lot of alpha enabled elements -> nice but slow

When working in the program, f.i. switching from one slideshow to another in the program takes about a minute sometimes when there are a lot of slideshows/slides/images...

I always preview with exporting, that's not a problem

That's a lot of time to wait I'm just beginner with the 3dfa so my projects have been quite small.. Have you tried to split it to multiple movies or parts to see if it helps at all or does it make it even worse?

I'll upload a "small working" project within an hour or so, then you can check it out yourself...There are only 2 of 3 images i used so all the rest should work with you..

Which version of 3dfa are you using? The new beta runs ALOT faster than older versions, and yes I know exactly what you are talking about. I've waited 10 minutes to open a text element(text elements are the worst<----all those nodes everywhere).

Some tricks I've found that help: Use html text when possible, make text elements a single element when possible, eleminate all uneeded shadows, if possible don't nest child movies-load them externally, etc

When you consider all that you have going on in a large movie it makes sense that things slow down, I mean there's alot of information just sitting there open. I don't know about you but I get alot of files going into most sites. Check this one out http://www.thelovechildband.com it was made with the beta and last stable version (4.72??), and went tons smoother than earlier versions.

-Jason

hi,
    the website does not work...
    Yes I'm using the latest beta (4.7 beta 4) but some things are still slow, probably because I have 2 movie files into root, and in one of that files a slideshow with 4 slides and in each slide another movie.
    It's using lots of memory.
    Last edited by my_6th_sense; 01-04-2007 at 05:42 AM.

oops.....

....typed the url wrong(my bad), it's fixed now, you can bypass the intro by going here http://www.thelovechildband.com/main.html I'm still using beta 3, didn't know there was a 4, have to go check that out.

That entire site at one point was all one movie, and yes as it got larger it got slower but nothing so drastic as you are describing. I ended up breaking it down into individual movies for funtionality reasons. Check out the music page, it's a larger file with several animations(both tweened, and frame by frame<--jpegs), as well as numerous paint elements(the desert background was done completely in 3dfa), text elements, html text, etc, etc, etc......It never got slow on me like in previous versions.

Something you might want to look at is your system settings, xp is notorious for wasting memory at every turn, best bet is to switch to classic windows veiw, and turn off all animations, shadows etc... I know I do every time I set up xp.

On a completely different note the new version runs lightning fast on 98, not that mattes but it does.....

-Jason

Quote Originally Posted by my_6th_sense
    I'll upload a "small working" project within an hour or so, then you can check it out yourself...There are only 2 of 3 images i used so all the rest should work with you..
    I'm waiting

Here's a file...

click here

When going into movie 25 => Slideshow 5, Change from slide 1 to slide 2 (just click on slide 2)....

When I do this, it takes more then a minute before 3DFA does that...

Yep, huge slowdown...

I think I know what is going on... you have used "Text element" in your slides for big text chunk (for example movie25 -> slide show 5 -> slide 3 -> movie 24 ->text 52)
    Text element breaks up to the individual letter objects so they are not normally ment to large amount of text as every letter can be animated. Now you have thousands of little objects in your movies/slides.. just open "text 52" and change "simple options" to the "advanced options".

There is option to turn OFF 'individualistic/separate' letter behaviour, but I'm not sure if it helps (I will try to recreate part of your example). Proper way to create lot of text is simply to use png/jpg/etc.. or "Html Text" element.

After that, I think 3dfa runs just fine with your website movie and flash player gets less strain (even if it was not a problem this time)

Hi,
    I changed all text elements to single object, but there still is a huge slowdown, and it's driving me crazy!

Hi,
    I changed all text elements to single object, but there still is a huge slowdown, and it's driving me crazy!
    If you mean that it is still text object, it still contains huge amount of vectors (-> huge paint object). (text -> single text object did nothing to slowdown when I tested it after my earlier post)
    Html or bitmap/image element is must for large amount of text. 3dfa is not alone, I found by googling that at least earlier macromedia Flash products slowed down quite badly in similar situation.

yes, but when using images, the text quality is a lot less then when using text elements...Maybe html text could be an option...But is it possible to use all fonts on html text? or can i only use the fonts that everyone has on it's computer...? (arial, verdana, times new roman,..)

yes, but when using images, the text quality is a lot less then when using text elements...Maybe html text could be an option...But is it possible to use all fonts on html text? or can i only use the fonts that everyone has on it's computer...? (arial, verdana, times new roman,..)
    From what I have read about the font subject, it seems it is Flash's shortcoming how it uses fonts.. they are either embedded to flash file (Text element) or like you wrote, depends what users have on their computers (HTML element).

But then, 3dfa seems to offer 3 option of font when creating swf, system fonts, bitmap fonts, and flash fonts..

edit:
    I just tested font export options of html element, export as Flash font allowed html text to be anti-aliased to look just great (like text element), and file size was small too..
    Last edited by Finjogi; 01-03-2007 at 11:56 AM.

Html text will almost always look cleaner, and like has been said is the only way to go for larger amounts of text.

Consider that 3dfa draws a paint element based on each letter, then open up your text element(advanced mode), and look at just one of the paint elements created and you will see a very complex drawing, now multiply that by the amount of letters in a paragraph, and you should start to get the idea of whats going on.

Now you can't animate an html text, but who really wants a paragraph to fade in letter by letter? Shadows can be made manually by duplicating the html text, and then offsetting it, and adjusting color/alpha. PLay around with it, 3dfa is really pretty powerful, and there's not much you can't do with it. What it really boils down to is knowing what it's doing, and then wroking in the best direction for what you need to do.

Anyway, my break is over, back to designing t-shirts(woo-hoo)....

-Jason

Would text boxes also work? I think it is the same as HTML to 3DFA?
    I'm using text boxes now in my new website (to prevent that I always have to insert <br> tags) and it still works fine at the moment...